Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The idiots guide to reloading

The idiots guide to reloading

Hello all, Maurizio from Rome, Italy.

I currently shoot 12 and 16 ga., .38 and .44 Mag (ouch…)
    I would like to reload, in order to have softer loads and to experiment with subsonic ammo.
    I would also like to reload 30-06 and .308 for rifles. (I have an M1 garand and would like to find a good bolt action)

Question #1: considering that any and all reload equipment is US made anyway, what would you recommend for an absolute newbie?
    I need something akin to"Reloading for Idiots", something I can operate in 1.2.3.4.5 step drills
    (By the way, IS there a book "Reloading for idiots"?)

Question #2: who can advise me on which cartridges can be shot (with an adapter) in .30 cal rifles?
    For certain, .30 Luger (but these days they're more expensive than .308s) and .30 WC; .32acp is really a peewee cartridge.
    And in CF.22s like a .222 or .223? For certain, .22LR, but what else?

Thank you

Maurizio

Boolit Master
    A LEE single stage press delivers the best bang for the buck. I chose it for the price and have not been disappointed in the quality or functionality.

Boolit Master

Not actually a "reloading for idiots" but try "reloading for dummies" on Amazon and you'll get several pages of reloading guides/manuals. Over the 60+ years since I was introduced to reloading by a Boy Scout shooting coach, I've accumulated a long, long bookshelf of reloading guides and manuals and can't recall any that really stand out above the rest. Looking at the Amazon list, I see the 'Shooter's Bible Guide to Reloading' is still around (my well-thumbed copy is dated 1972) and "ABCs of Reloading" is on it's 9th edition; either would provide adequate information on the equipment and mechanics of the process but neither include actual load data so you'll also need a reloading manual published by one of the equipment manufacturers.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Look for the ABC’s of reloading and also buy a lyman manusl current version

Both are resource information. BOTH because altho Lyman makes equiptment they do not make powder or bullets so there data is universal with most makers products used.

Then READ THEM!

Another tip is see if you can find a mentor.

Good luck and chow

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Maurizio,

If you can find a copy of the Lyman Reloading Handbook, either the 49th or 50th Edition, that will give you the basic information you're seeking. Even earlier editions have the information you seek, but I wouldn't go further back than the 48th edition for now. Of course, they will promote the use of Lyman products, but any of the well known established reloading companies make quality products, and the best thing is they're all compatible, for the most part. The Lyman manual also contains a lot of reloading data in most, or all, of the common calibers. You can load your ammunition for whatever your needs are.

For instance, you can load .44 Special level loads for your .44 Magnum, and it will be much more pleasurable to shoot, and paper targets don't know the difference. The same for your .38 Special, you can load them light, or heavy, depending on your needs.

As for loading for the Garand, you'll have to maintain a certain power level to function the gas powered functioning, unless you don't mind manually cycling the action.

I see by your profile that you attained the rank of Colonel, so you're certainly no "idiot". Approach this like any other project and don't over think it. Get a manual and read it thoroughly before you buy any equipment, since I know the EU has some pretty steep tariffs on imported reloading equipment. You'll want to make your hard earned money go as far as possible by making well thought out, and knowledgeable purchases. Just feel secure in knowing that any reloading equipment you buy will outlast you, with proper care.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

The Lee manual and any single stage press would be my recommendation.

Boolit Master
    As you’re just getting started I would recommend one of the Lee reloading kits. You can get one of their kids that includes a scallop pressed powder dispenser and a few other items for right around 200 bucks. And for a basic manual, modern reloading second edition by Richard Lee. The lineman manual is great I do highly recommend them . If it anytime you plan on casting your own bullets I recommend a lineman cast bullet handbooks . But for a generic reloading manual that gives you basics safe load data along with step-by-step procedures on how to go about reloading I don’t think you can go wrong with the Lee manual. And like others have said read the manual don’t just go to the load data read the procedures
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    I would also recommend finding a copy of the RCBS Precisioneered Handloading DVD to get a visual on how its done A-zz for rifle pistol and shotgun

They are available from the usual sources or someone may have a "library copy" the will loan out. Like Lyman its also a sales pitch for their products.

A single stage Lee "O" press runs around $125 USD so about 112 euros. These can reload just about any cartridge.
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...sic-cast-press

For a slightly more productive press for the same cost one might want to look into the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-t...t-turret-press You give up a little bit of power in the leverage and there might be really tall cartridges that won't fit. Like .50 BMG

The turret press holds the dies in these disks https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...-4-hole-turret

One screws the reloading dies into the disks. The dies are able to remain adjusted and can be quickly swapped in the turret press. The turret press has a rod that rotates the disk to the "next" die with each pull of the handle, makes reloading a bit faster. The rod can be easily removed and then one can do one operation repeatedly. Such as removing primer from used brass with a decapping die before cleaning.

This value kit provides the basics for $134 USD (120 euros) https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...rret-press-kit I think the press is a little lighter weight than the regular classic cast but doubt you would notice it.

This kit comes with even more stuff including a manual and the heavier press at $192 USD or 173 euros
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...rret-press-kit

You will also want a caliper to measure overall length and diameters accurately.

You will also need to budget some funds for reloading dies in each caliber which can be had for around $40 (36 euros) I personally would start with the .38 and .44 magnum. Both are easy to reload, with a lot of load data available. One can shoot a lot of .38 in a day at the range and .44 mag is an expensive cartridge to purchase so these two offer good savings opportunities with an ease of successful reloading.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...reloading-dies
    Since I expect shipping will be a big cost factor you might want to get a manual first. Provide you with a chance to gain some understanding and come back with more questions before you place your order.

Those links are to Titan Reloading they are a site sponsor whom I have purchased from. There are other places one might find cheaper shipping or prices. Still I would not hesitate to recommend them as a one stop shop for Lee reloading equipment.

I should also add this stuff can suck money out of your wallet like a vacuum. Lot of tools and toys one can purchase, also some tools and equipment available is very high end. Lee tends to make budge priced items of good quality. That said you might want to look around and see if some other company is better represented in local stores or suppliers.

One can also get into loading for shot gun but that is a whole different topic. Lee makes a very functional but inexpensive press for shotgun reloading but MEC single stage is probably the leading press for that. MEC is more money but heavier duty and I think may do a better job of loading new hulls. The Lee handles loading once fired hulls very well with very inexpensive press. See this page for some examples.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...temsperpage=30

One can save a lot more money loading brass rifle and pistol cartridges than reloading shotgun, at least at US prices.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 10-24-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

i wont get into equipment recommendations, as people get too uptight over what they use/like. as for reloading for dummies, about any quality loading manual the first big chunk of the book will cover 95% of anything you need to know. pick up a few manuals, as 1 just wont cover all the data you need. always double check any loading suggestions you find on the net against a manual, as when playing with stuff that creates very high pressures in your hands and near your face, you only get 1 chance.

Boolit Master
    I have had my single stage lee press for over 30 years. I bought the Lee kit. It’s a lot cheeper that way. Get the lee book and read it then re read it again. ‘My lee book is very worn . It is actually worn out from reading it so much.also the Lyman 49 and 50 edition are very good. There is also a lot of very good info on this site. Just search what you want to find out. A very good load for 308 Winchester is a 90 to 100 grain lead pistol bullet lee mold 100 2R or the 90 gr swc sized .311 and use 2.7 to 3.0 grains of bullseye powder. It shoots and sounds like a 22lr. Very nice load all the kids love it. It makes the 308 win bolt gun fun to shoot.

I started off with a Lee (value edition) turret press. I still use it for .44-40 and it works well. A single stage press will be slow going if you intend loading for pistol due to the quantity used! I "progressed" to a Lee Pro100 (2 actually) but I wouldn't suggest it as it can be fiddly to keep running smoothly. I sold one and use the other purely for depriming.38's, it does a quick job of depriming/resizing before cleaning. I then went to a Lee Loadmaster, it's great when everything works but its weakness is the primer feed system and despite all my efforts it still occasionally causes primer misfeeds. I now have a Dillon 650, expensive but very nicely made.

My suggestion is the Lee Turret (to start with) as it should cover all your needs initially.

As RogerDat said, this hobby can be a moneypit!

Boolit Master

my first suggestion would be to find a mentor but not sure how many folks reload in Italy

YouTube is a double-edged sword: there is some good ones out there but how to tell the good ones from the ones that are made by the lunatic fringe?

You could watch a number of them and figure what is common to most would be something to check on.

Cast Boolits is a great place to ask specific questions.

The reloading process is not difficult but care does need to be taken.

clean the brass
    deprime the cast and resize it (usually done in same operation and with same die
    reprime the case (can be done at the end of the deprime/resize operation step)
    flare the mouth of the case so you can easily seat bullet on top --second die
    add correct amount of power--scale is needed--I don't trust the dipper method without a scale to be sure
    seat the bullet to correct depth and crimp --another die

done--now repeat till you run out of components are have enough ammo
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    One of the nice things with reloading your own ammunition, is the ability to create your own ammo like you want to shoot it . Cast slug or buckshot in full or reduced loads . The same with your 38 , and 44 from peeshooter through hand cannon + rifles as well . The tricky part is doing it safely this is the most important part .
    The powder available to you may be different than what is available to us but that can be worked out as long as powder is available to you .
    Don't be to concerned about getting everything you need to start with because your always going to want something else as you grow into reloading .
    A good scale can be purchased used on eBay do some research through not all scales are good scales .
    A simple single stage press will last forever if taken care of also available used but research this piece of equipment as well .
    Dies and shell holder will get you started with the press and powder scale .
    Just pick one project to start with your choice 12,16,38,44,or 3006 .
    Your starting out just right get the simple basic understanding of the process or fundamentals of loading a cartridge to begin with . Removing the old primer , resizing the used brass , installing the new primer , installing the proper powder charge , seating the projectile , or crimping the hull .

Boolit Grand Master

If you are short on space or don't have a bench to mount a reloading press , Lee makes a small single stage press you can hold in your hands and reload with. Called the Lee Hand Press .
    I load all my handgun ammo , 9 different calibers , and 30-30 rifle with one .
    Even though I have 3 bench mounted single stage presses and one turret press... I find loading inside my house more comfortable . I actually have two hand presses and use them for many case prepping steps and priming .

Welcome to the forum from Baton Rouge , Louisiana .
    My wife's Italian !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I like my lee hand press a lot .I still use my lee cast press mounted to a old desk. With the hand press I can deprime and size, all my cases in one batch. Then I can prime. I can do this sitting on the couch watching tv. I can do a large batch of pistol brass and when I get tired one of the kids can take over. For seating the bullet and adding powder I still use my single stage cast press. I have loaded powder and seated the bullet using the hand press it worked fine but like the cast press mounted to a desk better for the final step. The biggest problem I see is for you getting the same powder that we have.all are load book might not help if you can get only certain powders. It is a fun hobby. I don’t know what I like best casting bullets or loading.

Banned

Any manual will have the basic step by step procedure in the front of the book, and after it will be the load data. I have Lyman 49th and 50th editions, Lee's Modern Reloading second edition and Hornadys Handbook 9th edition. I also have Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook for my cast bullet loads. When you get one read the informational section in front then read it a second time before continuing to the data. I started with Modern Reloading second edition before I ever loaded a case, and it gave me all the info I needed. Almost all of my equipment is Lee Precision, it is economical and good quality. I use two Lee bench mounted single stage presses and one hand press.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    my first suggestion would be to find a mentor but not sure how many folks reload in Italy

YouTube is a double-edged sword: there is some good ones out there but how to tell the good ones from the ones that are made by the lunatic fringe?

You could watch a number of them and figure what is common to most would be something to check on.

Cast Boolits is a great place to ask specific questions.

The reloading process is not difficult but care does need to be taken.

clean the brass
    deprime the cast and resize it (usually done in same operation and with same die
    reprime the case (can be done at the end of the deprime/resize operation step)
    flare the mouth of the case so you can easily seat bullet on top --second die
    add correct amount of power--scale is needed--I don't trust the dipper method without a scale to be sure
    seat the bullet to correct depth and crimp --another die

done--now repeat till you run out of components are have enough ammo
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Relo...iw=831&bih=643

Boolit Grand Master

If your starting out buy a good manual like the lymans and read the "How to" sections several times. This gives an idea of the how what whys of it. Also may help you decide on equipment. Once you have this knowledge and an idea of whats required then look at equipment. Some of the kits are pretty complete and very good. Look at equipment online and better in person if possible. Also keep in mind an American manual my have different powders than whats available to you. A couple manuals isn't a bad thing as it gives some more info.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    As you’re just getting started I would recommend one of the Lee reloading kits. You can get one of their kids that includes a scallop pressed powder dispenser and a few other items for right around 200 bucks. And for a basic manual, modern reloading second edition by Richard Lee. The lineman manual is great I do highly recommend them . If it anytime you plan on casting your own bullets I recommend a lineman cast bullet handbooks . But for a generic reloading manual that gives you basics safe load data along with step-by-step procedures on how to go about reloading I don’t think you can go wrong with the Lee manual. And like others have said read the manual don’t just go to the load data read the procedures
    What is a "scallop pressed powder dispenser??? Who publishes the "lineman manual"?? Using proper terminology will help someone who is not familiar with the resources for reloading. I will assume you meant scoop powder dispenser and Lyman manual, but I could be wrong. I seem to remember having read an edition of "ABC's of Reloading" and learning a little from it.

Maurizio, as mentioned by several others, there are several books available that will give you most of the information needed. As far as equipment goes, most US made equipment is quite serviceable. Do not go with the cheapest press you can find, stick with mid-range or higher quality presses. Depending on the amount of pistol shooting you do, you may need one press for pistol ammo and another for rifle ammo. A little research will help you answer that. The best place to start that research would be on this forum, many people have asked similar questions here in the past.

Reading through this forum you can learn much, if you can recognize a snob by his manner you will also realize that you can not believe everything you hear. If you have more questions, please post them. I am glad to "see" you here and know that some others are sure to feel the same.

P.S. I did not check any of the videos brought up by the search in post 18, but please realize that ANYONE can post a youtube video. A printed book posted by a publishing company is more apt to have been reviewed by more than one knowledgeable person for errors and mis-information.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 10-24-2019 at 11:39 PM.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast