RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about S&W 1917

Boolit Master
    Recovery of the serial number on the bottom of the grip frame depends largely on how the original number was removed. If the frame was ground/polished off and made it shorter you have a chance. If the frame was peened as with a pointed punch (think stippling) your odds are greatly reduced.

Check your state's laws concerning the removed serial number. My state has a statute that ANY device that had a serial number applied to it when it was first made, and later that serial number was removed, altered, obscured, etc., the item becomes contraband. Period. No serial number replacement. This rule applies to televisions, cars, firearms, anything with a factory applied serial number. Check your state laws concerning this topic, and watch your back.

Boolit Master
    The serial number is actually on the frame, in the extractor shroud. It's also on the yoke and the inside of the side plate. The only one that matters is the one on the frame. I was told, incorrectly, a few years ago that these numbers are "assembly numbers," which makes no sense. They are serial numbers. At some point the barrel and cylinder were changed, so they have a different number. Yeah, I know, the serial number that was ground off the butt is a problem, but at least it's still on the frame (extractor shroud). What should I do now is the question.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    The serial number is actually on the frame, in the extractor shroud. It's also on the yoke and the inside of the side plate. The only one that matters is the one on the frame. I was told, incorrectly, a few years ago that these numbers are "assembly numbers," which makes no sense. They are serial numbers. At some point the barrel and cylinder were changed, so they have a different number. Yeah, I know, the serial number that was ground off the butt is a problem, but at least it's still on the frame (extractor shroud). What should I do now is the question.
    Not trying to start an argument here, but can you elaborate as to why you feel you were mistaken about the serial/assembly number inside the crane area? To the best of my knowledge (someone smarter than me please correct me if I'm wrong), the only places you'll find the serial number is on the butt, the cylinder face and the bottom of the barrel. From everything that I know (which, could be argued, is very little) the numbers that you see inside the crane area are indeed assembly numbers. On my gun, for instance, the serial number on the butt, cylinder and barrel are all matching while the two sets of numbers inside the crane match each other but are totally different than the actual serial number.

Boolit Master
    Maybe I'm wrong about being wrong. So, the butt number on your gun doesn't match the number inside the extractor shroud? What about inside the side plate? And what is an assembly number? For what it's worth, I have a "modern" S&W and the number inside the extractor shroud matches the number on the butt.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe I'm wrong about being wrong. So, the butt number on your gun doesn't match the number inside the extractor shroud? What about inside the side plate? And what is an assembly number? For what it's worth, I have a "modern" S&W and the number inside the extractor shroud matches the number on the butt.
    No, it's not even close to the same. I haven't had the side plate off to check it but would go out on a limb and predict that it does not match the number on the butt.
    From what I understand, the assembly numbers were used at the factory to facilitate the process of keeping matched parts together during the manufacturing/blueing process. For instance, the cylinder/crane assembly must be hand-fit to a specific frame/barrel assembly (most likely before the blueing process) so both items would be numbered so that they can be polished and then dropped into the blueing tank along with many others without the risk of getting them mixed up.

Boolit Master
    I just got off the phone with the BATF and the agent gave me a direct phone number to the West Virginia tech department. I've written to them twice. Maybe I'll have better luck on the phone.

No luck on the phone. You have to write to them.
    Last edited by Battis; 10-24-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got off the phone with the BATF and the agent gave me a direct phone number to the West Virginia tech department. I've written to them twice. Maybe I'll have better luck on the phone.
    Good luck, and I truly hope you are able to legally keep your piece and enjoy it freely. Even though mine may not be very desirable to true "collectors" and was not carried by an American GI in combat, it is really cool to own a piece of WW2-era history in such a beautiful, functional package.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Leadhead72,
    Thanks for your help. In the photo below, the number shown is actually on the frame itself, in the extractor shroud (as it's called). It has the same number of digits as a serial number and actually comes back as a serial number from a gun made in 1918. Do you know if the assembly numbers have that many digits, and if they're actually stamped on the frame (and not just parts)?

I think I can answer my own question: this gun just happens to have a 5 digit serial number, and assembly numbers have 5 digits. So that is an assembly number.
    Last edited by Battis; 10-24-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Leadhead72,
    Thanks for your help. In the photo below, the number shown is actually on the frame itself, in the extractor shroud (as it's called). It has the same number of digits as a serial number and actually comes back as a serial number from a gun made in 1918. Do you know if the assembly numbers have that many digits, and if they're actually stamped on the frame (and not just parts)?

I think I can answer my own question: this gun just happens to have a 5 digit serial number, and assembly numbers have 5 digits. So that is an assembly number.
    Unfortunately I don't have mine with me to be able to take pictures of it, but yes, mine has a 5 or 6-digit assembly number on the frame at the same location as you showed in your picture, as well as a matching number on the crane adjacent to it.
    The serial number itself is stamped on the bottom of the butt of the frame next to the lanyard ring hole. The cylinder will also have the serial stamped next to the chamber holes, and if you swing the cylinder out and turn the gun over you will see the serial number yet again on bottom of the barrel where it is hidden by the ejector rod when it's closed. The barrel and/or cylinder serials may or may not match the one on the frame butt since many times guns were repaired/rebuilt with parts from other guns, but if you're as lucky as me all three of them will match.
    If you would like for me to take pictures and post them (or email them to you) just let me know and I'd be willing to do so after getting home from work this evening.

Boolit Master
    Thanks but this is just me trying to bend reality. I was hoping the 5 digit numbers were serial numbers but they're assembly numbers. So I'm back to where I was 3 years ago when I wrote to the ATF. I'm going to try one more time to see if they'll authorize a new stamping based on all of the other matching numbers and assembly numbers.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks but this is just me trying to bend reality.
    Trust me; I'm old enough to know exactly how it feels and have done the same thing myself on different occasions! Good luck, and please let us know what the ATF ends up deciding for you.

Boolit Grand Master

What's wrong with the grips ??? I was thinking... I like those grips...they look retro-cool !
    If you hate them and want to get them out of your sight I'll give them a good home ...
    I'm a sucker for stray cats and unwanted gun stuff .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    This thread got me to wondering about my Brazilian contract S&W revolver. So
    I pulled it out to check. The frame serial is 6 didits, as is the number on the cylinder
    and bottom of barrel. The other number on the crane and frame are assembly no's
    and are 4 digit's and a letter. So the number on the grip frame is the serial#.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    What's wrong with the grips ??? I was thinking... I like those grips...they look retro-cool !
    If you hate them and want to get them out of your sight I'll give them a good home ...
    I'm a sucker for stray cats and unwanted gun stuff .
    Gary
    My preference is for it to look more original and will keep you in mind...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    This thread got me to wondering about my Brazilian contract S&W revolver. So
    I pulled it out to check. The frame serial is 6 didits, as is the number on the cylinder
    and bottom of barrel. The other number on the crane and frame are assembly no's
    and are 4 digit's and a letter. So the number on the grip frame is the serial#.
    Yes, the number on the bottom of the butt, next to the lanyard ring mounting hole is the real serial, and it's the only one that would matter to the ATF if there were ever a question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12