MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inherited 3 1917 actions...what do I even have here

Boolit Master

You guys rock. Unfortunately, I have questions galore:

1: Are these what is often referred to as P-17 receivers? I'm learning but keep stumbling across all sorts of other references to Enfield such as P-14, SMLE (which is not this, I know that's the magazine fed models).

2: What is the advantage/difference in the P-14 bolt to run a belted Magnum? Are the bolts completely interchangeable? Any changes to be made to the receiver to facilitate this?

3: I'm working on finding a place to mag-flux them...is this the only way? Rural northwest WI isn't exactly known for it's large number of specialty auto shops. If that's the best way, I'll keep making phone calls.

4: If any are cracked, are bolts interchangeable between them?

5: When it comes to stocks, I see military configuration (with the floor plate still bent, I assume), sporterized straightened plates, and then sporterized with the plates still bent. I'd love to find a synthetic stock and I know Bells & Carlson used to make one, but haven't found much else out there.

6: Is any barrel besides 30.06 a completely custom proposal? I've been through the websites of all the usual suspects and that seems to be the case.

375 H&H has been on my list of bucket list cartridges for a while, it may be time to do that with one of these.

Boolit Master

1. Yes 1917 actions
    2. P-14 Bolt is made for 303 Brit which will accommodate the magnum case with no machine work.
    3. OK, you can find most machine shops can also do this and Non-Distructive shops also
    4. Yes, bolts are normally interchangeable, but check for headspace changes, not a big problem
    5. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006626116?pid=602152
    6. Barrels are barrels, get it threaded and chambered and DDONE
    7. 375 H&H may be a bit long, anyone got a p-17 in 375 H&H
    https://www.milsurps.com/showthread....64097&p=427631
    Last edited by skeettx; 10-27-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

The .375 H&H length cartridges will need magazine box surgery for length.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

While the magazine's too short for a full-length .375H&H, the cost/time/$$ for altering it can be saved by chambering for the shorter .375 Ruger...……..

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...375-h-h/329822

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    P14's have a smaller diameter firing pin tip than M1917's.Numrich may still have magnum length magazine boxes for the Enfields.They're just formed sheet steel but they work fine.

Boolit Buddy
    You have 3 of one of the strongest rifle actions ever. Nice.

Boolit Master
    The Olde-Tyme, Lo-Tech method of checking for cracks before Magnafluxing came along was to dunk the suspect part in gasoline, wipe off the outside, and examine the surface under magnification. An invisible crack would be pointed up by the line of liquid continuing to exude out of “nowhere.”

It may be just an optical illusion from your pictures, but it looks to me like the left-most and top-most action in your pictures has been shortened. A very good mechanic would cut an inch or so out of the center of the receiver and bolt, scarf the pieces, line them up on a mandrel and weld them back together. A good job would be invisible after refinishing, and as the bolt lugs and receiver front were kept cool during the operation, the strength of the action would not be compromised.

The firing pin and spring would also have to be shortened, also the floorplate and magazine box. Looks like your firing pin is missing; maybe that’s the reason.

This was the way to get an action suited for a .250 Savage or .243 length shell in the days when most factories offered only the .30-06 length, or maybe a longer version for Magnum rounds. Few “Mountain Rifles” existed back then.

Good eye, Bent Ramrod; I think you’re right. Note the extractor is gone as well. Before Ruger’s M77 MK2 came out, the only way to get a short Controlled Round Feed action was to shorten a Win70, M17, or Mauser. Yes, I know about the Savage 1920 and the “K” Mauser- but they were rare to find and Surplus rifles were cheap.

If you have a 303 barrel you could always rechamber to an improved cartridge like the 303 Epps.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Great and strong actions there. Congratulations ! I would make one a 35 Whelen, one a 25 06 and think about the third.

Boolit Master
    I just looked at the photo's again.Only one action has an extractor and it appears to be from an 03 Springfield.The action on the right in the top view has had something unusual done to the receiver bridge.Looks like a insert in the front of the bridge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12