Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inherited 3 1917 actions...what do I even have here

Boolit Master

Inherited 3 1917 actions...what do I even have here

Full disclosure: I'm not a gunsmith, nor do I pretend to be one on TV. But I can't pass of the chance to do something with these actions. All 3 are US Model of 1917 Remington stamped and the one on the bottom has been drilled/tapped for scope mounts. The other 2 (top ones in the top view) have not been drilled up front, but do have an extra hole in the plug. Obviously they've had the rear sight milled off and the bolts are in various states of completeness. 2 need an extractor and one is missing the firing pin completely, but one appears to relatively complete, to the point that it cocks and fires.

I know you can build these into just about anything you want. Can you all help me out with what I have and what's been done to them? It looks like something has been modified or plugged under where the rear sight was, and the bolt handles don't have the dog leg bend that most 1917 pictures have. Anything to look out for that can be had anymore as replacement parts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191023_202802 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	250107

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191023_202706 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	250108

Floorplates have been straightened
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=91088

Boolit Master

Floorplates straightened, bolt handle altered, receiver milled to accept scope bases. Parts are still available but they are getting harder to find. Barrels(original ones) are all but gone. Criterion makes replacement barrels. Boyd's makes stocks. You sure had a run of luck there, pilgrim. They make beautiful sports and can handle even the long magnums. james

What TNsailorman said! Lucky guy. The hole in the rear receiver bridge, back when the sight protection ears and sight were there, is what's left of the screw hole that secured the spring for the sight. As for what appears to you to have been plugged, there was a cavity there between the sight ears on many of these rifles. If you cut off the ears and ground down the receiver bridge to a rounded shape the cavity partially remained on those that had it, and many gunsmiths made a plug to fill the cavity rather than continuing to grind to what might be a too thin configuration. I've never been 100% certain what the cavity was for, but likely to reduce weight. On your example, the one on the right, it seems as though the plug might have been intended to get rid of the screw hole. Sort of a mystery there, as to the gunsmith's intention, as many find a way to utilize the hole as one of two necessary for a rear scope mount. You've got a great opportunity to complete the project, and most of the serious work has already been done.

Boolit Master
    Well whoever did the work certainly knew what he was doing. When I had a model of 1917 years back I had made a plug so the smith could weld it in place. I had already cut the ears off, and roughly contoured the rear receiver ring.Since I made the plug a little higher that what had already been done after welding and cleanup no seams are visible. Not all the '17's had the oblong hole. Darned if I can remember which manufacturer who didn't have the whole. Nice finish work, and even straightened out the trigger guard. Now that is something you don't see much anymore. Must have a good jig made up. Enjoy the heck out of them. Yes parts are available but sometimes hard to find and pricey when you do. Frank

That level of work sure wasn't done sitting around the kitchen table.

A buddy inherited one of those his Dad had built by some guru in the early 1950's.
    Not sure of it's heritage. His Dad was a Merchant Marine Sea Captain and traveled all over the world.
    Beautiful rifle, and had a barrel on it cut down, threaded, rechambered, contoured, etc. from a .30cal. Browning machine gun.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-24-2019 at 12:08 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

On the two that need extractors, check the bolt face for any evidence of modification. I bought a nice sporter, that was not caliber marked, that I thought was still 30-06 but on further examination and chamber check it was actually 30/338 WIN.
    Although I really wanted a 30-06 I was not disappointed. Excellent round and the price was right.
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master

The old Family Sporter I have had almost nothing done to the action except milling off the action "ears".
    It was rebarreled to .257Rob'ts and the bolt stop altered for Factory 117gr RN ammo. The chamber has a short throat too.
    I'm the third owner of this rifle, My Dad was always going to get it reworked. When I got it 40yrs ago, so was I. Guess It'll never get done now. No one to pass it down too.

Those reworked actions are a great opportunity to create about anything on a long action with .473 bolt head. Even rework the bolt face to a belted magnum.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    The old Family Sporter I have had almost nothing done to the action except milling off the action "ears".
    It was rebarreled to .257Rob'ts and the bolt stop altered for Factory 117gr RN ammo. The chamber has a short throat too.
    I'm the third owner of this rifle, My Dad was always going to get it reworked. When I got it 40yrs ago, so was I. Guess It'll never get done now. No one to pass it down too.

Those reworked actions are a great opportunity to create about anything on a long action with .473 bolt head. Even rework the bolt face to a belted magnum.
    I thought it you wanted to use a belted magnum cartridge you swapped out the M1917 30-06 bolt for a P-14 .303 bolt, no reworking required.

To the original OP...

Have the bolts been changed to cock on opening? That was something done on many "sporters".
    Last edited by Bwana John; 10-24-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the info. I'll check out the bolt faces later this evening. Is there anything particular to measure or compare to the intact one, or just look for machining marks?

I see that Criterion barrels are available in 30.06. Is getting something in another caliber a completely custom job to be machined from a barrel blank?

Boolit Master
    If the actions are Remington they didn't have the bathtub in the receiver bridge.The action on the right in your first photo appears to have had something done to the receiver bridge forward of where the bathtub would be on a Winchester and Eddystone actions.They aren't anymore difficult to rebarrel than a M70 Winchester.The Criterion barrel will require an extractor cut to be made.I have built a number of magnum rifles on 1917 and P14 actions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeMan View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I'll check out the bolt faces later this evening. Is there anything particular to measure or compare to the intact one, or just look for machining marks?

I see that Criterion barrels are available in 30.06. Is getting something in another caliber a completely custom job to be machined from a barrel blank?
    Essentially, yes. You could rechamber a .30-06 barrel to one of the .300 Mags, but that's about it. Those actions have been reworked and rebarreled for all manner of large cartridges, up to at least the .505 Gibbs.

One recommendation: before you invest a lot of money in them, have them magnafluxed and checked for cracks. A local engine rebuild shop should be able to do that, and it should be pretty inexpensive. The original barrels were literally 'gorilla-wrenched' onto the receivers, and frequently have to be cut off in the lathe. This has been known to cause cracks in the receiver ring. Also, all of those actions are over 100 years old, and you have no idea what was done to them over that time.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Those would make a great set - all stocked the same and scoped appropriately. I’m thinking 25-06, 30-06, and 9.3x62mm. Brownells had coil spring replacement ejectors that were recommended because the leaf spring originals break. I always called them “British Mausers” as a term of endearment- great actions.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few stripped P-14 Bolts if you decide to chamber a magnum.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

In Remembrance

30 years back I was always on the hunt for this action to make into sporters. I am envious of your having them.Robert

Boolit Master

I had forgot about swapping out the P-14 bolt body to chamber a belted mag. We had one of those in .30-338 too.
    Burglary in 1974 took most all the Families Guns.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Brownells had coil spring replacement ejectors that were recommended because the leaf spring originals break.
    Brownells hasn't carried that ejector for many, many years. Good luck finding one, as I seriously doubt that they're still in production.

The 1917 and P14 actions are suitable for any of the 'long' magnum cartridges, as well. I always wanted one in .300 H&H and another in .375 H&H, just because. I did briefly own one chambered for .458 Lott, but quickly realized that I had absolutely zero use for it.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I have two complete buba’ed P17’s still in ‘06 and to me they always “scream” 300 and 375 H&H

I concur on checking for cracked receivers just to be certain that someone did not bust them in removing the original barrels.

Originally the military barrels were installed hydraulically (powered hydraulics at that) and when removed by what ever means the receivers all too often got cracked. The safe way to remove the old spent barrel was to chuck the barreled actions in a lathe and cut the barrel shoulder away from the front of the receiver and easily turn the barrel off. No cracking that way.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast