Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a issue with sizing 30-06 brass

I have a issue with sizing 30-06 brass

I have been having a problem with sizing some 30-06 brass. The brass is commercial Federal, RP and Winchester. the dies are Lee RGB, the lube is Imperial spray lube. The Brass is range pickup and then fired by me several times.

Seems that some of the brass will not chamber without more force than i like. I measured at the neck, shoulder and base and they compare to factory loads (that chamber with ease) I am thinking that the cases are getting work hardened and the shoulder is not getting pushed back enough or is springing back after it has been sized. this does not happen to every case but quite a few.

So in my mind it is either the die is not shaped right (that dose not explain tthe some fit some don't issue). That leaves hard brass that needs to be annealed.

Any of you out there had a problem like this and what did you do to correct it.
    Chime in if you have opinions
    Michael
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Moderator Emeritus
    You probably just need to screw the sizing die down a little more. Do you have a way to measure the shoulder to case base dimension? You want a sized case to be .003 or so less than an unsized case.

Sounds like either the shoulder isn't being set back far enough or the length is too long.

should have mentioned the die is screwed down so that the bottom of the die contacts the shell holder.

You sure the press isn't springing? Have you checked the length? Have you measured the shoulders of those that fit to those that don't?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Sounds like either the shoulder isn't being set back far enough or the length is too long.

Agree. If you haven't trimmed after FL resizing several times I suggest you check the case OAL.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    May be shell holder got mixed up from another die set. Found out the hard way they are not all the same thickness above shell rim. Had to take a couple of thousands from to to fix problem and started keeping matched dies and shell holders together.

should have mentioned the die is screwed down so
    that the bottom of the die contacts the shell holder.
    As noted above, turn it down to contact +1/16 turn to (mostly) eliminate Press spring.

ALSO: Get something other than spray lube. I highly recommend RCBS Case Lube to reduce sizing force (and press spring)

Boolit Master

The headspace can be correct but if the neck has lengthened by repeated firing, it will jam against the forward edge of the cartridge chamber. I set my trimmers to trim to length to 2.486" and check them after every 2 firing and when they get to 2.492", I trim them again. I trim after resizing, not before resizing. If your dies worked for previous firings, the possibility that they are the culprit is small. I agree with Bazo and Larry, you most likely have a length issue.

It is not the cartridge length as they have all been trimmed after the FL sizing step. I have the press set so that the end of the stroke actually cams over so to speak. i am going to check a few of my shell holders and see if maybe i got a thick one in the press. with limited means of machining i would have to figure out a method to thin one though.

Paint them with a Sharpie to see what's dragging. You may need a small base die.

Something I've heard about, but not experienced is after several resizings, the brass will 'flow' towards the neck.
    We all trim for length, but I've heard of the neck wall also getting thicker and needing to be thinned down by neck turning it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

Ditto, it sounds like the case length is the problem. And it doesn't hurt to anneal after a set number of firings. I usually anneal after 3 to 4 firings.

It could be a die that is not sizing the case right above the web. That would explain some cases being sticky and some not. I've experienced that with 30-30, especially in brass that might have been borderline large to start. Brass can expand there, but it takes several firings. If you hav a min chamber and a max die, it would compound the problem.

I have been doing a sort of plunk test on each round before loading to see if they are going to give me problems. So i have a pile of rejects to work with. Tomorrow i am going to check the shell holders to see if that could be the problem and try the sharpie trick then i will try annealing a few and see if that helps.
    Its really not a length issue. Each round is put into a locked caliper as a sort of a go-no go gauge to insure they are all the desired dimension.The ones that fit right are exactly the same as the ones that are tight.

Quote Originally Posted by mdevlin53 View Post
    i am going to check the shell holders to see if that could be the problem and try the sharpie trick t.
    I'd do that with a sized case, and then a loaded one.
    If the necks are too thick, you might not notice it without a boolit being seated and stretching it back out.

I had some one time that gave me fits because I didn't roll in enough crimp from the flare on a 'M' die.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    May be shell holder got mixed up from another die set. Found out the hard way they are not all the same thickness above shell rim. Had to take a couple of thousands from to to fix problem and started keeping matched dies and shell holders together.
    I agree, had the same problem several years ago with 765 Argie and 308 Norma using Pacific brand shell holders with Lee dies. After using the correct Lee brand shell holders the problem went away.

At this point, unless you have a case HeadSpace Gauge, you're going to be fighting a black cat in a dark room with all the lights turned out.

Boolit Master

^^^ what mehavey said.
    Hi. I've wrestled with the same problem, and I found the culprit to be exactly what Bama said in #7 above. There are definite differences in the thickness of shell holders from the top that contacts the die, to the floor that supports the base of the cartridge. My own experience is that Hornady and RCBS are slightly thicker than the Lee shell holder. The best way to find out is to have a Hornady Headspace Comparator. It's simple to use...basically take a fired case from your rifle that chambers easily, using the correct insert, measure the length of the case at a datum point on the shoulder (0.375" for the .30-06.) Once you have this measurement, you can tell immediately if you aren't getting enough shoulder set-back (bump) when sizing even when if die is all the way down against the shell holder. How to fix? First, try using different shell holders. If you find that using a certain shell holder works, then mate with those dies and don't change. Sometimes, it's as simple as tightening the die down another 1/4 - 1/2 turn or more and giving the press just a little extra oomph at the top of the stroke is just enough to get the right bump. If that doesn't work, you can make a mandrel from a 1/4-20 x 1" pan head screw through the primer hole in the top of the shell holder, and a nut underneath to hold it firm. Chuck it up in a drill/drill press, use some fine (400 grit) wet/dry sandpaper with a hard flat backing, and take off what you need. The shell holders are pretty hard, so it might take a bit of work, but I'm pretty sure it won't be more than a thousandth or two. Once it gets to where you get a consistent shoulder bump, match that shell holder with the dies. Hope this helps. Ed

Boolit Master
    Unless I’m missing something, it shouldn’t make a difference what shell holder you use as long as you setup your dies with the same shell holder you use to reload with. I use a set of Lee RGB dies in 30.06 and I don’t know what brand my shell holder is. Now if you set up your dies with one shell then use another one when you’re reloading that can definitely cause issues. Also are you talking about loaded ammo, or just brass that won’t chamber. Castboolits or Jwords? If it’s loaded rounds, loaded with cast boolets it sounds like your boolet is bottoming out on the rifling. Let’s remember old school cast boolet seating for max accuracy. Load the boolet long, no crimp, chamber the round allowing the chambering of the round to seat the boolet. Then you know the absolute max o.a.l. Tweek the length and that gives you the best length/ accuracy for that boolet chambered in that rifle. Just one possibility.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Or...you might want to get a really good case lube and brush it on the inside of the neck and feel how much force is needed to withdraw the case out over the expander ball. After resizing you might be pulling some of the shoulder forward when you take the press handle up. Neck wall thickness could be getting greater with subsequent firings although I, personally, have never had a 30-06 give this problem but my 22-250's have quite a bit.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast