Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Most Positive Experience With Lyman Customer Service

Arrow Most Positive Experience With Lyman Customer Service

Last week I knocked my 30+ yr. old Lyman #55 powder measure off my reloading bench, snapping off the handle when it hit the [concrete] floor. I looked up the part no. for that assembly (#7990274) and found that said assembly (a) had to be hand fitted; (b) my #55 was too old and parts were no longer available. Having already looked at the prices of used Lyman #55 PM's on eBay, I had some idea of what to expect when the Lyman CS representative offered me a brand new one at 1/2 the list price, including shipping. You can't believe how quickly I accepted and one could almost smell the burning plastic as I whipped my credit card out and placed my order. Btw, the new measure arrived today and is as smooth as silk (even smoother when I "retrofitted" it with the old, undamaged brass slides and their polished blue housing) and very well made and fitted. Lyman customer service has always been good to me, but this time it was outstanding. I congratulate them for their service!

Boolit Grand Master

Maven, you're not getting many takers on this one! I have not dealt with Lyman customer service in about two decades but do remember it wasn't a good experience. I am glad their CS is up to your expectations and works for you, I guess to be politically correct I should not have even posted in your thread, you know "if you can't say something nice......"
    Last edited by swheeler; 10-29-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

I've always had excellent customer service from Lyman. Having dealt with the public for years I believe one's attitude and own politeness when dealing with any customer service determines the service one gets. If some talk to customer service reps the way they discuss it here it's not surprising the response they get, especially if they bad mouth the product or company.

Good to see Maven was well taken care of.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by larry gibson View Post
    i've always had excellent customer service from lyman. Having dealt with the public for years i believe one's attitude and own politeness when dealing with any customer service determines the service one gets. If some talk to customer service reps the way they discuss it here it's not surprising the response they get, especially if they bad mouth the product or company.

Good to see maven was well taken care of.
    ditto
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master

I had a similar experience with Lyman maybe 10 years ago. I sent in a 450 sizer that was pretty much a basket case to have it repaired. Lyman contacted me and said it couldn't be repaired and they offered to sell me a 4500 sizer at half price. I took them up on that offer right away.

I've seen a lot of posts panning Lyman's customer service over the years but my one experience with them was very positive and has prompted me to buy more Lyman products.
    Chuck

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The handle on my 55 broke during a move. When I found out you had to send it in to be repaired, I just bought a new one. I have the old one and wonder if it could be repaired by brazing.

Boolit Grand Master
    In general, I find that anyone I talk with on the phone responds better to the whole conversation if I start out with some friendly greeting, chatting and introduction rather than a harangue about their product or service. I know it is the “job” of the customer service person to deal with me in a pleasant manner, but if I make a little effort to set a pleasant tone to the conversation, it costs nothing and will almost always make things go better. Just my personal experience, and of course YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    The handle on my 55 broke during a move. When I found out you had to send it in to be repaired, I just bought a new one. I have the old one and wonder if it could be repaired by brazing.

I’ve been seeing all sorts of modifications to 55s including repaired or intentionally designed extended or otherwise “improved” handles. I personally have one that was repaired with a simple braze (before I got it) and besides looking ugly as a mud fence it seems to work fine.

Froggi
    "It aint easy being green!"

Yes, Repairs can be done. I got one that had the slides stuck. It also had the hole where the set screw for the main slide was brazed solid.
    I contacted the seller and we agreed on a partial refund.
    I carefully drilled out the braze and With penetrating oil and time got the slides loose. I then found some set screws local that were close to the right size and a Tee nut that fit the screw.
    I cut the Tee off the Tee nut and epoxied this threaded section into the hole. With a bit of sanding around the brazed area to refit the slides so they work smoothly.
    This gives me three of them now.
    I leave two set up for the two loads I load on my Tru-Line Jr's. The third I use for others.
    So yes Fix your broken handle.
    Leo