Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Lee Production Pot IV Tripping Power - PLEASE HELP :(

Boolit Mold

Unhappy Lee Production Pot IV Tripping Power - PLEASE HELP :(

Hi fellow casters.

I have an issue where my Lee Production Pot IV keeps on tripping the power. This doesn't happen immediately, but just as the top (surface) of the lead starts to melt (This is with about two inches of lead in the pot).
    This is quite frustrating as you might think. Its connected to an outlet which has a GFI on the main Distribution board, and is on a 20A circuit.

I have opened the housing and checked that there aren't any "iffy" contacts to the element or temperature control knob areas. Everything seems perfect there.

Any suggestions? I have seen some guys removing the Ground (Grrn+Yellow) cable from their cord-plug point, but I'm not sure if this will be safe?

PS: I am in South Africa, so I have the 220V variation of the pot. (SKU 9008), and the pot is about 3 months old with less than 1000 bullets cast via a Double-cavity mold.

Any advice here perhaps please? Just as I start casting this happens and I cannot go on like this...

Thanks in advance!

Boolit Master

First thing I'd do is plug it into a circuit that doesn't have a GFI. They do some strange things sometime.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Yes on using a circuit without the GFI. I run my 220V lee pot an a 15A, 220 breaker in system.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Banned

I would give the same advice, move it to a different circuit. I have been in the process of rewiring our home and I have seen GFI circuit protectors that are weak and had to replace them. They are like a circuit breaker, the switch operates on a type of spring. Once the spring gets weak it won't carry the same load. If you change circuits and don't have the problem, try replacing the GFI device.
    You can look up the procedure for it on the internet.

Boolit Master
    Is it a combined GFI and breaker? GFIs are often flakey. The 220V pot should draw 3 amps or so.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned
    Try it on a different circuit and/or make sure nothing else is coming on causing the breaker to pop.

Sometimes breakers can get tired.

Boolit Master
    You may have a short from the heating element to the ground wire. If you have any measurable resistance (i.e. not an open circuit) from the ground wire to a hot wire, you have a problem. If so, disconnect both ends of the heating element and check for any measureable resistance from one of the element connectors to the sheath. If it is not an open circuit, the element is bad.

Boolit Mold
    So I did the obvious and moved it to another outlet in the house (Dining room in this case)
    I turned the temp setting all the way up, and watched as the lead got almost red-hot. No tripping power.

Seems it's an electrical fault in my Garage. Either an aged plug-face or something is up with the wiring/circuit that feeds the garage.

Thanks for all your comments, really appreciate it!

Boolit Master

I find that GFI's often do not like a resistive load. Not sure what it is about that type of load, but I have run into issues with larger unregulated soldering irons as well.

Banned
    Glad you found your problem, I'd try switching breakers first.

BTW RiaanStrydom welcome to Cast Boolits

Yes, glad you could sort out the problem!

From a fellow Afrikaan, welcome to the madness boet, this is a wonderful forum for our boolit casters, so much information, so keep on reading and you will be a master caster soon!
    If you want to chat "local", shoot me a PM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the welcome guys! Appreciate the input here.