Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A 90's S&W 586, your thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The primer flow problem was related to the firing pin bushing. I've never heard anything that relates that issue to bullet weight. I think you may be confusing the forcing cone issue on magnum K-frames and 125 grain bullets with the firing pin bushing recall on early L-frame models. Those are two different issues.
    Could it be that 125 loads have been mentioned because they were the hottest at the time?

I've been shooting 359 sized 163 grns BHN 14 lately with good success. Vihtavuori N110 full power.

Boolit Master
    My 686 4" was purchased in 1985 and had the firing pin bushing issue. I didn't know it until I had the gun worked over by a good revolversmith a year or so later. I seem to remember that the problem wasn't prevalent until a lot of these guns were being shot with hot loads (probably the Federal 125 JHP). My revolver was tightened up and didn't have any wiggle room anymore and when firing hot loads, the cylinder would tie up because those primers would flow back into the recessed bushing. PITA to "untie" it! It got fixed quick and I never had the problem again.

I still have the revolver as it was both my first handgun and my first duty gun (after it was modified of course). I probably haven't fired it in 25 years but it is still has a slick trigger pull and is beauty. The Millet rear sight is certainly more rare these days than the revolver is.

Sorry for the hijack, but this thread took me down memory lane a ways.....

Banned
    A friend that was a factory trained S&W armorer told me that the problem was relatively rare but S&W recalled those early L-frames out of an abundance of caution.

The fix was a new firing pin bushing and all was well after that.

Love the silhouette sight

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by threedflyer View Post
    Love the silhouette sight
    Yes,it's something I envied 25 years ago.

Mihec NLG 180 grain .359 first test passed with flying colours today.

My 686 no dash has never had a problem without being modified. When modified, I believe all thy did was install a smaller firing pin and bushing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    My 686 no dash has never had a problem without being modified. When modified, I believe all thy did was install a smaller firing pin and bushing.
    Yes that was it.

Loads were 43,500 psi back then,add to that the Federal primer that was used in the 125 Federal load... SAAMI max is 35000 now since -95 or so... CIP is still 43,5k. All 357 Magnum guns are CIP proofed at around 60k psi here in Eurokistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Yes that was it.

Loads were 43,500 psi back then,add to that the Federal primer that was used in the 125 Federal load... SAAMI max is 35000 now since -95 or so... CIP is still 43,5k. All 357 Magnum guns are CIP proofed at around 60k psi here in Eurokistan.
    You opened a can of worms now. I argued that point with references a while back and got shot down by some on this forum but I did not care as it is all for fun. I agree that 357 magnum pressures are lower now for the most part. Just look at newer load data compared to older. I suspect older 46000 cup loads when tested on piezo equipment would have a psi level greater than modern saami specs in psi (35000)in most cases. Pearce of handloader magazine, who has more experience and access to the industry than anybody here has stated that several times in his articles on the 357 magnum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yep,even the Quick Load program has both SAAMI and CIP options for 357 magnum pressure.

I took a pic of a load of mine, NOTE THE CARBINE BARREL LENGTH.

That's what I am actually getting from a carbine,too.

But 8 3/8" should give more like 1500, not 1350 fps that I got today:

Too much blow-by? There is some.
    Last edited by Petander; 11-18-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    I did some measuring,this has less endshake than my new S&W500.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123