Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Scoped Hawken Dilemma

Scoped Hawken Dilemma

I have a cpl of T/C Hawken barrels with scope mounts but when I have installed several different scopes the scope eye piece is still six inches from my eye making it quite useless.
    Is there something I am missing??...or is this just the way it is and the makers expected me to have an 15 inch long neck?..Does anyone else have this problem??? or is there a fix and I just dont know it??...Do you think a pistol scope would work??
    Last edited by Theditchman; 10-23-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Several things you might try. A different scope long eye relief or Intermediate eye relief. I have had a low power handgun scope mounted on my renegade, I believe its a 2 1/2X. This is a smaller more compact svope that avtually looks better and more "scaled" to the rifle. It also mounted lower working better with the existing comb

Boolit Master
    Due to the breech plug, hammers assembly, and trigger the area to mount a scope is far more forward than normal. That is why you see the long range shooters, I.E. slug gun shooters use Unertl scopes as they have a lot of the scope tube aft of the rear mount. If you can't find a Unertl, try a copy as they are easily available.
    John

Boolit Master
    TC used to make a detachable mount that gave you normal positioning of the scope. I had one years ago and worked well. Sold it with rifle and new owner loved the combo
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    There are several scope mounts for the Thompson Center. Without pictures it is hard to say, but from your description you have the forward style mount which would take a long eye relief handgun scope. T/C did in fact make a 3 piece scope mount wherein you could remove the scope for cleaning. It's no longer available new and online prices are usually steep. I would look for a good used long eye relief pistol scope. Good luck.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

FYI - "IER" = Intermediate Eye Relief; "LER" = Long Eye Relief.

Check online for the eye-relief specs of any prospective scope for one that will fit YOUR specific needs.

Before doing that, however - have someone measure the distance from your shooting eye to any mounted scope while you hold the rifle in shooting position.

That should give you pretty good idea of how much eye relief you'll need.

While most scopes list an eye relief DISTANCE (3", 3-1/2", 4", 5" 7", etc), handgun scopes will have an eye relief WINDOW (9"-17" or 11"-21").

Also, there are "Scout" scopes that have an eye relief distance in the 7-/12" to 9" range (depending upon maker).

I've used a longer eye relief (handgun and/or scout) scope on several different rifles, and can tell you that a fixed/low power scope works better than a higher power or variable scope.

FWIW, I learned the hard way about this issue - buying/trying then selling scopes until I hit the right scope for me, before I figured out the measuring/eye relief specs before buying thing.

Last edited by pietro; 10-23-2019 at 06:16 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Thanks a lot for the info