RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee expander solution?

I size all of my bullets that I cast I lube then before I size them them re-lube I have no trouble loading them I have different sizing dies for the same bullets I use 99% LEE dies and sizing dies I have a couple of RCBS dies that LEE did not make at that time

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Kenstone the 380 is the longest and the 38/357 is the shortest in overall length. Yes the 9mm is also shorter than the 380 though the expander/flair look identical. At this point I think I need a bullet sizing die to size these down to .356" and see if that will resolve the problem.
    Thanks for posting that info

"" Yes the 9mm is also shorter than the 380 though the expander...""
    That is actually a good thing as you can make a sleeve/bushing that is as long as the length difference, out of some tubing, then use the 38S&W expander in the 380 die.

That and you really don't know if a 0.358" dia. bullet properly seated/crimped in a 380 case will chamber/plunk in your 380 gun barrel.
    With that in mind, bullet sizing may be in your future.

I have only one 9mm barrel out of many that will not chamber rounds containing a 0.358 bullet, even with thin brass, and have to size bullets smaller for that one gun
    All this because I (and many others) have found coated bullets that are oversized are more accurate/group better.
    Have fun chasing this out to finality,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Thanks again Kenstone. This is a head banger and one of the reasons I put off loading cast lead for the 9mm, being all the different sized barrels are out in the world for the 9mm. I may have to contact lee to see about a custom part to fit as now that I am out of the working world I lost most of my contacts for machining.

I really thought that I would just tumble lube these as the samples I shot performed so well. For now I will have to wait until after the 1st of the month before I can order a Lee sizer/lube die kit.

Results from this afternoon.

Loaded up blank samples, no primers, no powders. Took the powder measure out of the die and placed the funnel nut in the die. Set the die to apply the largest flair possible, which honestly wasn't very much. I can get much more flair with my 9mm and 45acp die. At this setting a .358" bullet will just barely fit into the case. After this I took the seating/crimp die out and took it apart and cleaned it then put it back together. Set the die so there was no crimp being applied and to seat the bullet to the normal depth.

At this setting I ran a bullet all the way down. Result, found a shaving at the mouth of the case.. Next I ran another and only seated it to the depth of the lube groove. Was able to pull this by my fingers and it looked swaged, was shiny to the groove and all the tumble lube was gone. Ran another bullet up past the lube groove and it too looked the same and there was a ridge where the seating stopped. Didn't see a shaving. I wish I could get some pictures but my camera will not focus that close for it to show up. Lastly I seated a couple of the .356" sized and PC bullets and there was no sliver and the PC was untouched. I didn't get to measure these afterwards as I was called away but I do have them set aside.

A happy update!

My Lee push thru Sizer/lube kit arrived today so I sized up about 200 of these 356-102 bullets and then re-tumble lubed them and just test loaded 10 of these. Set to a OAL of .965" with a normal crimp and not a single sign of any shavings on the finished bullets. Also they are passing the plunk test much nicer now that they have been sized to .356"