Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee expander solution?

Lee expander solution?

So I finally just started to load some of these Lee 356-102-R1 bullets that I just started casting with all of your help. These are dropping at between .357" to .358" but most are 0357". I have not sized these as I do not yet have a sizer but one is coming. So as-is after seating the bullet I am seeing a sliver of lead around the case. I have tried both increasing the flair and decreasing the crimp to no avail. I then pulled one apart with the ol bullet hammer puller and I can clearly see where the lead was shaved by the case. Measuring this bullet it is .3555.. So yes I know I need to size these but my question is about the Lee Expander in the die and use of the Auto powder measure. I keep reading about the "M' die but what is the solution for the Lee Die and Measure?

Boolit Master
    Just expand the case a little more ,no need to size boolits if they chamber OK.

Boolit Buddy
    Seat the Lee Expander or your powder through die a little deeper so it flares your case mouth a little more.
    Last edited by Camper64; 10-23-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Boolit Master

Screw the powder die in a little more. I use the powder through die on 380 Acp, 9mm and 357 mag. I flare just enough that the bullet can sit inside the flare.

The lyman M die and NOE inserts (for the Lee Universal Die) does more than bell the case mouth. It expands the whole neck. Good. As far as pistol cals though i have gotten superb accuracy from using using powder through die or the lee universal case neck expander. For rifles though i prefer a more exact expansion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Unscrew the lee die from press, insert into garbage bin, buy proper die.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Unscrew the lee die from press, insert into garbage bin, buy proper die.
    OK Mr. Intelligent Helpful tell me what exactly is the PROPER DIE? One that will accept the Auto Drum powder measure?

I use either a lyman m-die, or a noe expander plug in a lee universal expander die for all of my cast bullet loading. As far as I know, nobody makes a proper cast bullet expander plug for the powder through die. I believe noe used to make them, but no longer does
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I use either a lyman m-die, or a noe expander plug in a lee universal expander die for all of my cast bullet loading. As far as I know, nobody makes a proper cast bullet expander plug for the powder through die. I believe noe used to make them, but no longer does
    Thank you for the straight forward answer to my question.

Boolit Master
    "but what is the solution for the Lee Die and Measure?"

This
    Unless I missed it, you didn't say what caliber you are loading as yet but I'll guess 9mm.
    For bullets in that diameter range you need to use the expander from a 38S&W die.
    It's a direct swap into a Lee 9mm PTE die.

https://leeprecision.com/pm-expan-plg-38-s-w.html
    or
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-s...h=Lee%20SE1699

Order it from Lee and you will probably only have to pay shipping.
    It will expand the case bigger/deeper and eliminate the case swaging the bullet and lead scraping.
    If you're not loading 9mm, never mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 38S&WExp.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenstone; 10-22-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Kenstone thank you for the reply. Actually I am loading the 380acp. I do have a 38/357 die set on hand, is that the same expander?

I do have some samples of this same bullet that were sized to .356" and I have not noticed any shaving on those. Both sets of bullets have also been tumble lubed. The one I pulled apart which I cast and lubed had no lube left on the bullet where it had been in the case. It looks like it went thru a sizer.

Boolit Master
    +1 on kenstone's post. And as far as "proper die" , Lee does a fine job - as do others. I'm quite certain that your answer will be found here, by advice and experience - not trading out your choice of equipment.
    Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I load a lot of 380 on lee dies, and the lee 380 die will work fine. The 38s&w die trick is for thicker 9mm brass. Try adjusting the powder die down a bit until the bullet sets on the case easily. Also, if seating and crimping in one step, it is easy to get the crimp happening too soon which will also shave lead.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

+2 on kenstone. I use the 38 S&W expander to fit powder coated, sized .357 dia. boolits into 9mm. Try your existing .380 die a little deeper first.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been loading cast bullets with plain old Lee dies for 25 years (and noticed some Lee Haters jump at every chance to badmouth Lee). Like a lot of the above posts, just increase the flare. Use as much flare as you need to get good shooting ammo now, and worry about case life later ("too much" flare is when the flared case won't enter the seating die). I have some various caliber jacketed bullets on my bench and use them as a "gauge" to make sure I have enough flare; a loose fit with a jacketed bullet usually means a good fit for a cast bullet. My "junky" Lee Powder Through die works quite well with flaring 9mm brass for .359" bullets...

Another thought; sometimes when seating and crimping in the same operation can cause shaving. Maybe separating seating/crimping operations is needed...
    Last edited by mdi; 10-23-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Just more flare will not prevent the case from swaging the bullet smaller.
    If bullet swaging is no concern to you, have at it.

You need an expander that is a BIGGER diameter to maintain the bullet diameter as cast.

""no lube left on the bullet where it had been in the case"
    Does this bullet have a lube groove?
    I'm thinking that "1R" means it has one lube groove...
    I've only tumble lubed bullets with lube grooves, the lube below the groove is pushed into that lube groove(s) when seating or sizing.
    jmo,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 10-23-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Kenstone thank you for the reply. Actually I am loading the 380acp. I do have a 38/357 die set on hand, is that the same expander?

I do have some samples of this same bullet that were sized to .356" and I have not noticed any shaving on those. Both sets of bullets have also been tumble lubed. The one I pulled apart which I cast and lubed had no lube left on the bullet where it had been in the case. It looks like it went thru a sizer.
    I'm not sure about the 38/357 expander, I'd take it out of the die and compare it to the 380 expander's length and diameter.
    You might be able to swap the 38/357 expander into the 380 die.

I'm thinking using the complete 38/357 expander die won't work as it cannot be set it up low enough to reach the 380 case mouth before hitting the shell plate.
    Adding a spacer above the expander might get it to work though, but might limit the powder measure motion.
    I wouldn't know without trying it.

I think using a 9mm expander die with that 38S&W expander would be your best chance at success here.

Boolit Master

My .357 Mag die set is RCBS and didnt come with a powder through die. I use the Lee 9mm powder through die for my .357 mag.

I use the same powder dor 9mm and 380 Acp so I use the 380 ACP die on both 9mm and 380.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I have been loading cast bullets with plain old Lee dies for 25 years (and noticed some Lee Haters jump at every chance to badmouth Lee)......
    Roger that. And, as here, they tend to jump in lock-step with themselves and with no more justification than a simple sneer at supposed "entry level" tools. I don't prefer every tool Lee makes but every one of them works and some are the best available so I pay such mindless responses no mind.

I have a lot of dies from many makers, several of which few here will have ever heard of; they all work fine. No maker's dies automatically solve every potential problem but, when used properly, I've found that Lee's dies work as well as any ... and sometimes make better ammo than high dollar others!

Boolit Grand Master

The OP was asking about shaving, not swaging. Different symptoms and different problems/results. Very soft bullets may be swaged, but there should be no strips of lead after seating. I have loaded 9mm cases with .359" flat based bullets of my "normal" 11-12 BHN bullet alloy after running them through my Lee sizing die. Removed bullet and measured, no swaging noticeable...

I started reloading way pre web and I just didn't know my Lee tools/equipment was no good. I learned I could not get decent results or any lasting life out of my Lee presses and dies when I started looking in on reloading forums. I just didn't know my tools/equipment was junk and wouldn't last 30 years. I guess I'll have to get all new stuff, and toss my Lee stuff I bought in the '70s (nah!)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy

Since you are relatively new at this reloading thing, I would suggest that you read your Lee instructions for setting up your dies. Lee does a good job of telling you how to set them up and once you are sure that everything is as it should be, then re-look at your results and if need be adjust the bell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast