Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Chamber throat question

Boolit Mold

Chamber throat question

Hello everyone it’s my first time so be gentle please. I recently caught the casting and reloading bug and have acquired a couple of nice ruger 44’s one in special and one in magnum. I am at this moment trying to put everything together to be able to cast and size my own bullets for this caliber. I have checked the chamber throats of both revolvers with pin gauges and the .431 gauge falls through with a little shake of the cylinder while the .432 gauge does not, my question is at what size should I size my bullets to for my chambers dimensions. The only alloy I have at the moment is wheel weights. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Vendor Sponsor

First, welcome to the forum! You sure came to the right place!

Size to fit the throats. *IF* the throats are consistent in dimension, and have a consistent drag on the gage pin. I use pins in half thou increments, since whole thousandths are just enough to frustrate you when you need an exact measurement.

If a .431" is a loose fit, the throats are at least .4315" so size to .431" and you should be good. You want your sized boolits to have a light drag fit in the throats when used like a pin gage. If they aren't consistent, groups will suffer as different sized throats will often shoot to a different point of impact.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    .430-.431" should work fine.

About 0.001" under throat size is what you want. If throats are not uniform, fit to the tight one.

If throats vary by more than 0.001" from chamber to chamber, accuracy is improved by honing them uniform.

DougGuy is the go-to man there and has done several for me.

In full-charge loads wheelweights will slug up a bit.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks so much for the replies. After searching around the site a while this place seems to be a wealth of knowledge about casting reloading and shooting wish I had found it sooner.

Recent production Rugers are much more consistent on their throats than in years gone by. You have gotten excellent advice on sizing diamater.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.