RepackboxPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Recoil pad for h&r 1871 buffalo classic

Boolit Buddy

Recoil pad for h&r 1871 buffalo classic

As the title says, anybody here cares to recommend a recoil pad for the h&r 1871 buffalo classic in 45-70?

I went to the range to test recoil using stout loads. I was shooting 340 grains cast bullets with 53 grains of IMR3031. Not max for this rifle but i figure close to what I'm going to load for moose if the accuracy pans out. I went out with a box of 50, called it quits around 30. it actually left a bruise... funny enough the recoil on the marlin 1895 didn't feel as strong.

Boolit Master
    Does it have the curved buttplate? If so, I think I'd try one of the strap-on recoil pads; I think Midway carries them, along with others, I'm sure.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Banned

had a few buff classics and all were fitted with kick killer lace-on recoil pads - these things work Great. there is a bit of curve to the butt stock, but nothing severe. you can see one used by a feller in this video ...

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, curved stock. I'm hoping for something that works but that still looks pretty.

In addition to my daydreams of murdering moose (I have apple trees and berry bushes, my relationship with moose is complicated but I wouldn't kill more than I can eat) I also want to take it to the tundra to try my hand a long distance shooting with 500 grain bullets. Those suckers are going to be even worse...

Funny how some folks say that these can't take Ruger #1/#3 loads and yet this is the same action and barrels that H&R uses for their 500 Magnum guns rated for 60k PSI max loads. Not that I care to do #1 loads with this light rifle but the safety margin is there.

Do this first, and see if it works. It did for mine when I had a BC. I removed the buttplate and poured #7.5 birdshot into the hole for the stock bolt. Fill it as full as possible until you can just get the buttplate on without compressing. It really tamed recoil on mine and made it a lot more fun to shoot. And it doesn't change anything in the look.

Boolit Master
    Just buy one of the pallet wood shotgun buttstocks with the factory pad.
    If the factory pad is not soft enough add the pad of your choice. The larger flat but will not hurt as much. Add 2 lbs of lead in the bolt hole to ease the recoil even more.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don1357 View Post
    As the title says, anybody here cares to recommend a recoil pad for the h&r 1871 buffalo classic in 45-70?

I went to the range to test recoil using stout loads. I was shooting 340 grains cast bullets with 53 grains of IMR3031. Not max for this rifle but i figure close to what I'm going to load for moose if the accuracy pans out. I went out with a box of 50, called it quits around 30. it actually left a bruise... funny enough the recoil on the marlin 1895 didn't feel as strong.
    Funny trying to max your 45/70 ,I use 25.5 grains 2400 and a 1/2 grain dacron under a N.O.E. 350 grain /GC /BHN 12 and unless I"m shooting thru the butt (I don"t) @ 1500 fps to 200yds pass thru"s are the norm with deer .Recoil is equal to a 30-30 ,and don"t forget those extinct herds of buffs killed with a Sharps and a case full of BP (under 1500 fps) ! /Ed

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a BC .45-70 that I'm thinking about selling because of recoil issues. I've shot it for a couple years and have tried a mercury recoil tube in the stock. It helped. Never really hot-rodded it. Basically kept it around top end trap door loads, but still recoil bothered my damaged rotator cuff. My friend got one because I liked mine so much ~ taken bear, deer, pigs with it ~ but recoil also became a problem for him, too. I cut off (at his direction) the curved butt and installed a flat faced "Kick-Ease" pad. Worked pretty good. Add some lead shot in the through bolt hole and a recoil pad, and you may fix your concerns.

I have a friend that uses one of these from Cimarron:
    https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/co...utt-tamer.html

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Check out Limbsaver recoil pads. I have one on my Ruger and just bought a slip on for my NEF, as I'm losing weight and getting old.... I know the slip on pads ain't the best looking, but I wasn't bruised when I got home. And they did make some that were screwed on with no grinding, plus the ones that you can custom grind to your liking.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Mold
    If it hurts then you're not holding it right.. put it on your bicep not your shoulder.

Boolit Mold
    I too use a slip on Limb Saver on my long range Hepburn in 45-100.Shooting mostly 525 gr boolits and have found that the pad makes it very tolerable over a forty round session.
    I got mine at WalMart for twenty bucks and it definitely tames the beast.

Boolit Bub
    I found a used one in a local shop. Sights make for accurate shooting at 100 yards (furthest I've gone with it). Using Nosler 300s and RL 7, moving around 2000 fps. First time out, I didn't think about recoil; I was wearing a t-shirt, and shot off a bag on a bench. I did a ladder test that day. On the hottest load, I knew I hit my recoil limit when my brother in law said he saw my face grimace and I grunted. Did the 7.5 shot in the buttstock tube, and added a leather with foam insert butt cover. Definitely helped tame felt recoil. Probably not as effective as a Limbsaver (tried one), but definitely helped. It is a lot of fun. Only additional thing I'd like to address is the O-ring between the foregrip and barrel "trick". The lead in the buttstock also helped balance the rifle, so it doesn't feel quite as nose heavy.

BTW, I'd like to cast some 405gr boolits for the caliber. The only mold I have is a Lee with the hollow base. I haven't slugged the barrel to find out the ideal boolit diameter. What molds have you all been using?

Boolit Master

I don't have the Buffalo Classic, but I want one. I did buy the Classic Carbine in 45 Colt because they were blowing them out for $225 and I couldn't pass that up. Looks the same as the BC but with a 20" bbl. I shot some 255 RF at rather warm loads of 4227 - impressive. The crescent steel butt plate is magically efficient at transferring recoil to the shoulder with minimal loss, quite a bruiser considering the reduced weight of the shorter bbl. The most fun I had with it was shooting round ball loads over a charge of Bullseye. Quiet like a 22, hit like a freight train even though only 900fps. Something about soft lead balls that mush on impact.

I compared the impact of a 38 sp 150 grain at 900 against the 147 grain RB on a wooden stake. The 38 punched a hole, the 45 rb shattered the stake. Then I shot an old car, you know when they were made of thicker real steel. The 38 put a 3/8" hole, the 45 rb pushed in the steel about an inch leaving a 1" hole. Funny thing was they were both cast from the same alloy.

I looked at a lace-on butt pad that also had a loop strap that went around the barrel to create a shoulder strap. I almost bought it but decided I will just make one next time I butcher a cow. The comment about adding lead shot and adding stuffing under the lace up pad is something I might try. Love the rifle but the deal I got wasn't as good as I thought as I had to track down a Ruger Old Model Vaquero in 45 Colt to go with it. Wait, my wife bought it for me, albeit from our joint account. No matter, I bought her a Ruger SBH with a 3 3/4" bbl in 44 because she fell in love with it at the same gun show. Hers was new, mine was used but had never fired real projectiles, only wax for competitions. I have to buy factory springs to replace the upgrades done for quick draw. very light crisp trigger but I prefer factory as my other Old Vaquero in 38-40 is bone stock. Now if I only had a Classic Carbine in 38-40 WCF . . .
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Wear a PAST recoil shield.