Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rossi 92 saga

Boolit Buddy

Rossi 92 saga

I bought a Rossi stainless in 44 mag the first of April, it was rough which I could live with but it had excessive headspace. I had cases separate 1/2 inch from the rim. I sent the rifle back after having it 18 days. Rossi contacted me after 8 weeks and advised they would replace the rifle, when they got a replacement as they were between runs. I picked up the replacement the 2nd week in October. It was smooth, sighted in but after 15 rounds of Remington factory ammo I had one total separation and one with a visible ring at the same place inside the case. I checked the headspace and the action would closed easily with .016 shim and would close with effort on a .020 shim. This rifle was bought as emergency situation rifle I feel so screwed. Will call Rossi tomorrow.

Did you buy the replacement new or did you end up buying someone's headache that they dumped on the used market?

Boolit Master
    Hmmm....I bought a Rossi stainless .44 mag standard 20" carbine in 2008 and it has been fine. The only issue I had was it shot too high and I had to thin down the slider and reduce the height of the rear sight blade and re-cut the notch to get it on target at 50 yards.

Sad to hear that Rossi's quality has slipped that much....

Boolit Buddy
    The replacement was sent from Rossi, from a new run. Called them this morning they are sending a shipping label with the promise to send a replacement that has been checked for headspace.

Very sad to hear . Options for a light, pistol caliber levergun are few and far between.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i think the Rossi is one of the few with a decent 20 twist rate as well?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    i think the Rossi is one of the few with a decent 20 twist rate as well?
    I think the Rossi's are all 1:30.

Boolit Bub
    i had a terrible time trying to get Rossi to fix A 92 stainless i had. i actualy got no help from them till I posted pictures on their Facebook page.
    sold the 2 i had. no Rossi for me.

I must be lucky. My stainless 45 colt 20” has been flawless with every load I’ve tried. Lee 300’s stabilize just fine. But, I do push them at 1470 FPS.

Boolit Man
    My 16" stainless has a tight spot under the rear sight dovetail. Shoots ok with j word stuff, but boolits tend to lead up. I'm going to try fire lapping one of these days.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an older 92 in .454Casull.
    It's been picture perfect, thank goodness.
    Last thing I want to see is case separation on a .454!

Boolit Buddy
    Talked to a supervisor at Rossi today, trying to get my rifle fixed or replaced before I head out of the country for the winter. It doesn’t look good they just moved their repair facility to Georgia last week. Maybe it will be back when I get back the first of April. That will make it one year, not sure if I will remember why I bought it in the first place.

Boolit Mold

Angry

Having my own issues with Rossi. Trying to get a replacement buttstock (from ANYbody!) for my Interarms/Rossi 92 .44 mag. It was been a frustrating problem. I like the rifle and bought it as a back-up and to complement my .44 mag revolvers.

I think I will either find a used Marlin, or else just use a 7.62X39 in either SKS or AK mode and forget the .44 carbine altogether.

Best wishes with your issue, and may you have a Merry Christmas! Dun
    Last edited by DunRanull; 12-05-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DunRanull View Post
    Having my own issues with Rossi. Trying to get a replacement buttstock (from ANYbody!) for my Interarms/Rossi 92 .44 mag. It was been a frustrating problem.
    Boyds.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Checked with Boyds, they replied that they don't have any. Guess Im going to apply some Irish-American ingenuity with glue, screws, and bailing wire. Thinking the bailing wire will shore-up and strengthen the wrist.

Super Moderator

.......... I'm happy to say that both my Rossi's (357 RB Short rifle & 45 Colt 24" oct color cased rifle) only had a mild form of "Owner responsible for final fit/finish" issues. On the 45 Colt it was the hammer screw, which also retains the lower tang. Removing said screw proved it to having had it's threads washed out, for a couple possible reasons. This was 4-5 years ago.

So, I called Rossi, and after a couple questions which included stating the importer (Puma/Legacy Sports) they said I had to call Legacy sports for the parts? Okay, I did. I thought the poor guy at Legacy sports was suffer heart failure he was laughing so hard? He told me "Good Luck", because it was impossible for even Legacy Sports to get parts.

I called Rossi back (yes I had to sit on hold awhile each time). I told them I'd called Legacy, and related their comments re: Parts from Rossi . So they put me on hold. After a while a guy asked if he could help me. I told him I needed the hammer screw, and yes .............. I had called Legacy Sports already and got laughed at. I said I needed the screw for the blued action (same screw used for the case colored version) and could he please send 2 please?

No problemo. In maybe 10 days or so I got 2 blindingly beautimus STAINLESS STEEL screws. I forget now what it cost. I called them again, finally got through, finally got parts, told the person helping me what had happened, he found the order in the comp. Said he was sorry, and would get 2 new blued steel screws on their way to me no charge (Kewl Beans! .

About a week - 10 days later I got 2 wonderfully wonderful stainless steel screws. Heck, they were FREE! Right? Smart guy that I am (and will only slam my fingers in the door once......) I broke out my Communistic Metric thread gages and determined which Communistic Metric pitch it was. I then called MSC and ordered 3 taps and 2 dies of said Communistic metric thread. Lest I forget, I do not know if the color casehardened actions are harder then stainless, or blued but I can say in all sincerity that my action was harder then the proverbial hubs of h-e-double hocky sticks!

With the info in hand and stepping up to my 100% American made Logan 10" lathe I made a couple hammer screws out of some 4130 steel. Threaded same and then blued them. I sacrificed one of the taps to try and clean up the threads in the action, and it seemed as if I did. The screw looks wonderful and removing it shows only a faint 'wiping' of the blue in the threads.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    This may be a dumb question but will ask it anyway. Is Rossi aware that they are producing a defective product? They appear to be making the same mistakes over and over.

I have a Rossi 92 .44 Mag. 13 shot 24" Octagon tubular magazine .
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.