RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: M1 Garand Vortex Viper sight and cast loads

Boolit Mold

M1 Garand Vortex Viper sight and cast loads

Installed Viper MRD sight on my Garand .308 Navy SN 7100---. Used Hopco mount $99. Mount swapped out easily and red dot mounted perfectly. Will develop cast loads with this sight because it is more precise than the stock iron sights. For competition the sights can easily be swapped back. More news as I develop loads. Will try spitzer /bore riders 170-190 grain gas checks, ex. Lyman 311334, RCBS 208g Sil and Lee 190gr. WW/2% Sn water quench size 0.310. Powders Varget, 4227, 5744, H322. H322 popular at CBA BR competition. Any thoughts on Garand .308 loads RSVP.

Boolit Master

Hi, and welcome to Cast Boolits! I have the same setup, but in standard .30-06. I've found that the NOE 310-165-FN (30XCB) GC is an excellent bullet in this rifle. I'm sure you could work up a similar load for your .308 version. Here's an example of a load using H4350 & the 30XCB (GC & PC.) I think you'll find the Varget will work well, but the AA5744 is a little dirty to run in the M1. I've also had very good luck with the Lyman 311299 with H4895 and slower powders (H4350 or H4831.) Hope this helps and let us know how it turns out. Ed

ETA: I should point out that I use the Venom 3MOA instead of the Viper, otherwise, it's the same.

Attachment 250029 Attachment 250030
    Last edited by RedlegEd; 10-25-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    As a Garand Fan(atic), I would be interested in your progress. The Garand set up you both have is ideal for the Coyotes here in KY. may have to convert one of mine.
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Master

Hi Got-R-Did,
    The really nice thing about the setup is it's fully reversible on your M1, meaning once you put your old sights back on, no one will ever know. There's no permanent physical alteration of the rifle. You just remove the existing rear sight and replacing it with the Hopco mount. I guess I should have pointed out that I use the Venom, not the Viper because I wanted to be able to access the battery without removing the sight. Keep on eye on the Viper, however, because Midway will often have a good discounted price. If you decide to go this route, I strongly recommend getting the 3MOA dot instead of the 6MOA dot because you'll want a finer dot for the rifle. I can tell you once you look through that sight and see that pretty little red dot on the target, you'll be really glad you switched. Ed
    Last edited by RedlegEd; 11-02-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Clarification

Boolit Master
    Nice to see that I am not the only one with Bad eyes

I have picked up a Vortex crossfire red dot and a M14/M1A CASM mount for one of my M1 Garands and will be doing more with in in the spring.
    the CASM mount has a fixed hole drilled in the mount so you can still as a last resort still use your front sight if your optic goes south.

I've been considering the HopCo mount for one of my 7.62/.308 M1s. I'm sure it's a solid mount, but for me the more important consideration is which micro-RDS to run on it.

Good review at the link below from GarandThumb in which he runs his '06 M1 with a Trijicon micro-RDS on the mount. He demonstrates the advantage this combo yields in scoring effective hits in 'tactical'-type shooting.

I'm leaning toward the Delta Point Pro because you can swap in a new battery from the top of the optic. On others, like the Trijicon, the battery has to be changed out from the bottom, which means you have to remove the optic from the mount first. That, in turn, will require you to RE-ZERO the optic again after re-mounting it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=er__eN-Xm_M
    Last edited by Nick Adams; 10-29-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Boolit Master

Hi Nick,
    Same holds true with the Vortex Venom.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi Nick,
    Same holds true with the Vortex Venom.
    Ed
    Wasn't familiar with the Vortex model, so good to know. Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Burris Speed Bead on my Benelli Super Nova mounted at the receiver/stock juncture, so I am already a huge fan of the concept.
    Now to save up some fun-money to put towards converting one of my Garands.
    Many Thanks!
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi Got-R-Did,
    The really nice thing about the setup is it's fully reversible on your M1, meaning once you put your old sights back on, no one will ever know. There's no permanent physical alteration of the rifle. You just remove the existing rear sight and replacing it with the Hopco mount. I guess I should have pointed out that I use the Venom, not the Viper because I wanted to be able to access the battery without removing the sight. Keep on eye on the Viper, however, because Midway will often have a good discounted price. If you decide to go this route, I strongly recommend getting the 3MOA dot instead of the 6MOA dot because you'll want a finer dot for the rifle. I can tell you once you look through that sight and see that pretty little red dot on the target, you'll be really glad you switched. Ed
    Have you had any trouble with the Garand ejected brass damaging your Vortex Venom or knocking it off of zero? Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKINHOLSTER View Post
    Have you had any trouble with the Garand ejected brass damaging your Vortex Venom or knocking it off of zero? Thanks
    Hi,
    Welcome to Cast Boolits! Short answer is no, I've had no problems what-so-ever.
    Ed