Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Heads up for Blue dot shooters

Boolit Grand Master

Heads up for Blue dot shooters

I recently noticed the price of a jug of Bluedot was only $70 as I was ordering from Powder Valley. Naturally I bought 5 jugs. It turns out the reason is that Alliant changed from 5 pound jugs, to 4 pound jugs. Luckily that works out to the same price of powder as before, so no big worries.

"New and Improved".

Boolit Master

Is it just me here. Or has anyone else noticed lowering prices on powder?

I bought Power Pistol and unique they other day just over 21$ a pound.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I think the hoarding that took place during and immediately after the last administration has caught up.

Guys are starting to look at their stash and deciding they may have a lifetime supply.

I don't have any data to back this up, but I suspect component sales are down.

Not unlike the 2 boxes of 22 lr limitations of 8 years ago to the "we will carry how ever many you want to buy to your car for you" of today.
    Last edited by 15meter; 10-23-2019 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Auto correct I didn't catch

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    It seems to me, that if Alliant makes a profit at $70 for 4 lb jug, that they were kinda gouging us when it was $125 for 5 lbs just a short while back??? I bought it anyway, so I wouldn’t be caught without. ( like last time) . I agree about looking at your stash.

Yeah, now they have buckets of .22lr at a respectable price!!!!! Funny how that works,huh????
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

I didnt go crazy on LR... but I have a couple Rem buckets and few mixed Winchester 333/Fed automatch.

Powders I only stocked on big popular universal use powders.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

What's really concerning is I was just looking at an old receipt I found from 2005. A bag of Lawrence lead shot was $25, and a single pound of bluedot was $18. This was a pickup in store order from ballistic products. At this very moment Lead shot is actually down from it's spike to $55-$60 down to around $45. And I just paid $17.50 per pound for Bluedot. Hey, take a win when you can.

You can't be too careful anyway, so I think I have enough Bluedot to last me at least 5 years, probably closer to 10 now. I just need to stock on more primers and I'll be set for the 2020 election year.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    It seems to me, that if Alliant makes a profit at $70 for 4 lb jug, that they were kinda gouging us when it was $125 for 5 lbs just a short while back??? I bought it anyway, so I wouldn’t be caught without. ( like last time) . I agree about looking at your stash.

Yeah, now they have buckets of .22lr at a respectable price!!!!! Funny how that works,huh????
    It probably wasn’t Alliant that collected the profit. It was more likely a distributor or the retailer.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    What's really concerning is I was just looking at an old receipt I found from 2005. A bag of Lawrence lead shot was $25, and a single pound of bluedot was $18. This was a pickup in store order from ballistic products. At this very moment Lead shot is actually down from it's spike to $55-$60 down to around $45. And I just paid $17.50 per pound for Bluedot. Hey, take a win when you can.

You can't be too careful anyway, so I think I have enough Bluedot to last me at least 5 years, probably closer to 10 now. I just need to stock on more primers and I'll be set for the 2020 election year.
    The lead price appears to be more a function of the commodity price of lead, driven by industrial use and commodity trading speculation. When shot went over $50 a bag the future's price were if IIRC, over $1.60 a pound. It's currently right at a buck a pound.

Boolit Grand Master

Still, it took a very long time to climb all the way to $25, then boom. It more than doubled to $55+ in what seemed like 5 years. It has barely come down. For a while, Fleet farm was asking $62 per bag.

So lead shot more than doubled, and shotgun shell's maybe went up $1 per box. I seem to remember the cheapest ammo running $4 a box, and now it's around $5. Even Eagle brand garbage shot doesn't break you even for reloading cheap target shotgun shells. You either A. have to have a source of cheap reclaimed shot and load a ton of shells, or B. have a source of free lead and make your own shot.

Something just isn't right about the lead shot prices. Supply and demand I guess, but who in their right mind is loading ammo that costs more than an equally performing factory load? I ran a couple thousand last year just to try and get rid of some of my wads and unwanted hulls. It still makes sense to load hunting loads which regularly run $15+ a box, yet it seems #7.5-#9 shot is what is still selling best.