Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30lb Cardboard Kegs of Bullseye

Dad and his friend in third grade borrowed his Dad's .22 pistol and would buy a sack full of loose .22 shorts for 15/cents. Dad said half didn't go off. They shot at.electrical pole insulators on the wall home from school every day.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    Dad and his friend in third grade borrowed his Dad's .22 pistol and would buy a sack full of loose .22 shorts for 15/cents. Dad said half didn't go off. They shot at.electrical pole insulators on the wall home from school every day.
    That is too funny. When I was a kid a got a good scolding for shooting out the glass insulators on lightening rods on the buildings around the farm..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    In those days 4831 was often referred to as IP powder, the IP standing for Idiot Proof, since it was nearly impossible to put too much in most of the cartridges that were common at that time.
    Darn interesting.

A buddy got into reloading in the late 50's with a Lee loader.
    He had a .243 from Sears, and got the Lee kit for it at the local gun store.
    For powder the guy told him to just fill the case up with 4831 and seat a bullet on it.
    And it didn't matter what bullet.

We tinkered around and never found anything more accurate at safe pressures than that.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-25-2019 at 12:24 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Bullseye. Got it and about 50k cci primers from a buddy that got it from the estate of an old competitive shooter. Didn’t get any guns or even ever learn the guys name.
    Insurance co. “Powder?? Sure we got powder! Talcum powder, baking powder, …… No explosives here boss!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    In the 70's and 80's 20, 30 and 50 pound cardboard containers were common. In the 60's and early 70's some stores would sell by the pound out of the 50's. You got your powder in a paper bag.
    Around here that lasted into the 90's. Bill Clinton's effort to get rid of "Kitchen table" gun dealers put the last one around here that sold re-packaged gun powder out of business. He was retired and operated out of his garage at the end of a dead end street. Zero advertising, no signage, the only way you found out about him was by personal recommendation. The city he lived in did not have a clue what he had been doing for decades. My understanding, the federal government sent the city a list of FFL holders in the city and told them to check them out.

I doubt that he sold a gun to any felons, they wouldn't have even found him, let alone him selling a gun or ammo to a low life he didn't know.

Green Dot in a blue waxed bag, the kind that folds over and has the little paper encased wire across the top to fold in to keep it closed. He had several kinds, I only bought the Green Dot, only loaded 12 gauge trap when I started buying from him.

Unlike the 60+ gauges/calibers now---I think I need an intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Our local Farmers Elevator used to sell the powder scooped from kegs and put in a paper bag back in the 50's as well as blasting powder in kegs for blowing stumps and splitting logs.
    What ever happen to those days when a 12 year old kid could buy a box of .22 Hiawatha shorts for 18 cents and go down to the city dump and shoot rats??
    Shooting garbage dump rats is the most target rich environment I ever saw and a blast(pun intended). What happened to it?? Lawyers for the city scrapped it where I did it.
    Yes, they used to ship a lot of powders in round cardboard packages years ago. I would order from an outfit called LFI Industries in Wappingers Falls, NY through our gun club. I ordered 8lbs of H4831 from them 1 time and when the order came in it had an 8 lb'er of Bullseye along with it. I called them and they told me to try to sell it for them which I did. Those were the good ole days before Haz Mat fees.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

And the world is so much safer these days!!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Bub
    About 55 gr of bullseye in a 20ga shot shell makes a great lift load for a 60mm mortar round. Great fun to shoot the practice rounds that are solid cast iron. They weigh 3lb and go about 300yds on that little bit of bullseye. I could run through 30lbs in not too long.

Frank

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by biffj View Post
    About 55 gr of bullseye in a 20ga shot shell makes a great lift load for a 60mm mortar round. Great fun to shoot the practice rounds that are solid cast iron. They weigh 3lb and go about 300yds on that little bit of bullseye. I could run through 30lbs in not too long.

Frank
    That I would like to see!

Frank

I think we need video.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vtech26 View Post
    I've acquired a lifetime supply of Bullseye. Specifically a couple 30 lb kegs of dated 86'. I tried doing a little googling on them but cant find anything on 30 pounders...only 8 pounders. The powder smells and looks fine and I've been using it without issue. I imagine these probably came direct from the manufacturer for businesses making bullets for example. Thoughts?

Yes likely from the manufacturer, we use 30 lb kegs of all kinds of powder including bullseye at cci/speer.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Our local Farmers Elevator used to sell the powder scooped from kegs and put in a paper bag back in the 50's as well as blasting powder in kegs for blowing stumps and splitting logs.
    What ever happen to those days when a 12 year old kid could buy a box of .22 Hiawatha shorts for 18 cents and go down to the city dump and shoot rats??
    Democrats and Republicans flip flopped and the new Democrats now seem to run everything regardless of who holds what office .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Congratulations on the score , on average it's probably a couple of average lifetimes worth . Been using Bullseye in several cartridges for the last 50 years and I doubt I have gone through 20 pounds . At 2.8 and 3.7 grains it takes a while to shoot through a pound .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

You have been blessed with the loaves and fishes of gunpowder. May you never run out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You have been blessed with the loaves and fishes of gunpowder. May you never run out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Thank you. I've been contemplating selling 1-2 of the kegs..I've actually been using a lot of it for 9mm and 45acp. Is it a little dirty? Yeah. Is there some smoke when I'm shooting. Yup. Those things dont bother me a bit.

Boolit Grand Master

Frank
    You can't post that without putting up a video.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

WOW... I’ve been shooting for over 35 years and I’ve never bought anything like 60 Lbs of powder... and much of what I have bought hasn’t even been opened yet - just bought on impulse... yeah, cracking find
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by hlvabeach View Post
    And I would happily take you up on that offer!

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
    Any chance you're near the PRK? [People's Republik of Kommiefornia...]

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Surculus View Post
    Any chance you're near the PRK? [People's Republik of Kommiefornia...]
    Unfortunately I am at the other side of the USA in Virginia.

Back in the 70's there was a local gunshop that sold power by the #. They had #50 cardboard drums of bp, bullseye, reddot. A guy that worked there smoked cigars all the time. Place blew up killing 4 people later they found out the guy with the cigar was the only 1 working and 2 guys went in to buy blackpowder.

Years later in the next town over the were several people making illegal fireworks in a old school. They had 100# kegs of powder in there. They weren't sure if it was 6 or 7 100# kegs. When that place went up windows broke in houses 1/2 mile away. The blast could be felt 10+ miles away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast