Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30lb Cardboard Kegs of Bullseye

Boolit Bub

30lb Cardboard Kegs of Bullseye

I've acquired a lifetime supply of Bullseye. Specifically a couple 30 lb kegs of dated 86'. I tried doing a little googling on them but cant find anything on 30 pounders...only 8 pounders. The powder smells and looks fine and I've been using it without issue. I imagine these probably came direct from the manufacturer for businesses making bullets for example. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Neat, I'd like to see pictures.

Good job!
    Just a guess, but you're probably right, that size is probably marketed to commercial reloaders and manufacturers.

I'd save the empty cartons. They'd make a great waste basket for the man cave.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

That's a lot of rounds you can reload with that! Depending on caliber, somewhere between 90,000 to 110,000!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Grand Master

In the 70's and 80's 20, 30 and 50 pound cardboard containers were common. In the 60's and early 70's some stores would sell by the pound out of the 50's. You got your powder in a paper bag.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    In the 70's and 80's 20, 30 and 50 pound cardboard containers were common. In the 60's and early 70's some stores would sell by the pound out of the 50's. You got your powder in a paper bag.
    That's pretty crazy..but I believe that. I'll try and take some pics for you guys.

Boolit Master
    I never was a bullseye fan, then I was gifted a 30lb keg as you describe and a partial. I also thought that was a huge supply, then I started loading with it. 10 years later and it’s gone.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I never was a bullseye fan, then I was gifted a 30lb keg as you describe and a partial. I also thought that was a huge supply, then I started loading with it. 10 years later and it’s gone.
    I've got 3.5 kegs...so I guess I am good for 35 years..

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by vtech26 View Post
    I've acquired a lifetime supply of Bullseye. Specifically a couple 30 lb kegs of dated 86'. I tried doing a little googling on them but cant find anything on 30 pounders...only 8 pounders. The powder smells and looks fine and I've been using it without issue. I imagine these probably came direct from the manufacturer for businesses making bullets for example. Thoughts?

The “official” Cast Boolits hazmat team must for your safety and protection promptly come over and confiscate this hazardous material. What is the address???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Happy shooting!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    If you were close to me I would happily give you $15 for a lb. Or better for me $8 for a half lb. A half lb would last me the rest of my life.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    If you were close to me I would happily give you $15 for a lb. Or better for me $8 for a half lb. A half lb would last me the rest of my life.
    And I would happily take you up on that offer!

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    good very good. i just finished up some bullseye that i got in 86. still working on my last 8 pounds of sr4756 from around 85/86. you store the bullseye correct it will last your life time.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a few 15lb kegs from the late 1970’s, still goes bang.

Watch out for your home fire insurance policy, it’s silly but they likely prohibit storing that much powder at home.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I’ve got a few 15lb kegs from the late 1970’s, still goes bang.

Watch out for your home fire insurance policy, it’s silly but they likely prohibit storing that much powder at home.
    What Powder???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    What Powder???
    Bullseye. Got it and about 50k cci primers from a buddy that got it from the estate of an old competitive shooter. Didn’t get any guns or even ever learn the guys name.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I remember as a kid in the early/mid 50s one of the gunshops that I frequented, (I believe pestered would be a better description), had two pasteboard drums, I don't know if they were 50 lb or 100 lb but they held a lot of powder, one each of H4831 and H4895, sitting on the floor by the cash register. There was a scoop and a pile of brown paper bags and a scale on the counter by the powder. You scooped however much of which ever powder you wanted into the bag, the owner would weigh the bag and calculate the price, (using a pencil and paper) tape the bag shut and mark with an INK pen what powder was in it and out the door you went. If I recall correctly, the price was $.25 a pound and if you bought 5 lbs. it was $1.00.

In those days 4831 was often referred to as IP powder, the IP standing for Idiot Proof, since it was nearly impossible to put too much in most of the cartridges that were common at that time.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I remember as a kid in the early/mid 50s one of the gunshops that I frequented, (I believe pestered would be a better description), had two pasteboard drums, I don't know if they were 50 lb or 100 lb but they held a lot of powder, one each of H4831 and H4895, sitting on the floor by the cash register. There was a scoop and a pile of brown paper bags and a scale on the counter by the powder. You scooped however much of which ever powder you wanted into the bag, the owner would weigh the bag and calculate the price, (using a pencil and paper) tape the bag shut and mark with an INK pen what powder was in it and out the door you went. If I recall correctly, the price was $.25 a pound and if you bought 5 lbs. it was $1.00.

In those days 4831 was often referred to as IP powder, the IP standing for Idiot Proof, since it was nearly impossible to put too much in most of the cartridges that were common at that time.
    That is awesome. The good ole days..

Boolit Master
    I'm sure im not alone when I say... I'd love to see some pictures of the kegs of Bullseye!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Our local Farmers Elevator used to sell the powder scooped from kegs and put in a paper bag back in the 50's as well as blasting powder in kegs for blowing stumps and splitting logs.
    What ever happen to those days when a 12 year old kid could buy a box of .22 Hiawatha shorts for 18 cents and go down to the city dump and shoot rats??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast