RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quietest/Best Powder for 230 gr Subsonic 300 AAC?

Boolit Master

Quietest/Best Powder for 230 gr Subsonic 300 AAC?

I am relatively new to the 300 BLK. Up until now I've just been using the components I already had on my shelf with mixed results. I've been using W-296/H110 and it performs well with supers. Not so much with subs. At 9 gr I am getting most to stay subsonic, but every few rounds I get a crack. Though I have had zero cycling problems, I am afraid to go lower. Way to much empty case volume. I've decided to just order a dedicated powder for the job. Everywhere I look there is conflicting info. Some say CFE Black, others AA1680, still other shooters World Black. I am loading Lee 230 gr PC bullets out of a 10.5" PSA upper with a Silencerco suppressor.

Boolit Bub
    I am running h110 at the moment. I have some 1680 that I haven't played with yet

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Sierra has some interesting info...
    https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/1...out-load-data/

Looks like they are using 2400 for subsonic loads... 2400 is a little less sensitive to airspace in the case than say w296/h110.
    WWG1WGA

I was just running 11g of a1680 with a 225g powder coated cast projectile with srp this weekend out of my suppressed 8.5” sbr. I picked up some Cfe-Blk to try out, but haven’t had the chance yet.

Boolit Bub
    I run 11.5-6gn 1680 with NOE 310-196FN mold they end up being around 205gn with 50/50 WW/SWW. Real quiet (no hearing protection) in my 300 BLK HK Clone sear gun with 8.5 barrel and Rugged Surge.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This weekends trials

1680 and CFE Black are very similar powders.

1680 is the tried and true powder used by several manufacturers for their sub loads.

Another one to look at is Shooters World Blackout which is a Lovex powder.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Boolit Buddy
    Another brilliant thread; just got an upper for my B'day.
    Looking forward to working with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191022_115935.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	250049
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Valornor View Post
    1680 and CFE Black are very similar powders.

1680 is the tried and true powder used by several manufacturers for their sub loads.

Another one to look at is Shooters World Blackout which is a Lovex powder.

I have been told that S&B uses either 1680 or a very similar powder for theirs. I know one thing, their sub loads are NOT quiet. They may still be hearing safe but not by much. My starter loads with W296 were better. I just bought a box to try. First, and probably last, commercial ammo ever fed through this rifle.

The problem is “Quiet” is more then just a function of powder. It depends on how much energy is left in the powder at the muzzle.

So a handload with 1680 might be quieter and subsonic if the guy loading the road has a 16in barrel and he’s loading it so it just barely cycles his firearm. If it’s a bolt gun, then he might use a powder that gets the velocity, without needing to worry about fueling a gas system.

A commercial ammo maker has to make a subsonic round that will absolutely cycle the rifle so they will load as hot as they can, but still keep the bullet velocity below 1100fps.

The reason you were quieter with the H110/Win 296 is because it is a faster burning powder, and it likely had much less energy left at the muzzle, then the much slower burning 1680. However you also find the faster burning powders don’t typically produce enough gas to reliably cycle an AR.

Though you say it cycles your AR. So if the load works for you I’d stick with it, one of the things about hand loading is you can try different things and find they will work for your gun.

Banned
    700x and 1680 work well in the H&R AAC 300 BO and a AR 300 BO, both with a can both deadly accurate.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 10-30-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve had great success with CFE BLK

Boolit Master

Quietest loads I've found was a small load of Red Dot but that was in my Encore Pistol. For a load that will cycle an AR I would stick with AA1680 or RL-7, although I hear good things about the cfe-black, I've not used it yet.

Also, for accuracy I would look into a different boolit. Lots have tried to get accuracy out of it and I'm not aware of anyone that has been successful, including me. Accurate has some great molds for it as do Miha and NOE.

Banned

I would have to guess the fastest burning powder that will run your action at sub sonic speeds.

Boolit Master

I got a 8 lb keg of CFE Black about a week ago. Went out to the range yesterday with 2 AR's for testing. And no magazines.....SO today I was back at the range. I was very pleased. I made up a small batch of each, 11.5 gr, 11 gr, 10.5 gr, and 10 gr. All functioned great. The 10's sounded amazing. My AR must just be a miracle gun, as it seems to run just about anything.

Boolit Master

I'm still working on a old supply of Win 680, 10.2 gr and a 220 Berry's plated is working well for a sub sonic. Quiet. 965 fps across my chronograph and good bolt hold open.
    For supers 18.5 gr. H-110 and the 130 Hornady is also working well. All in a 10.5" PSA and Bannish 30 suppressor. No cast so far...

Boolit Buddy

DITTO on the 1680 just finished some test rounds last week with horndays sub x 190gr ended up with 11.3 grains which ran about 950 fps and still cycled the rifle with ease.
    the slower FPS was most likely due to the 8.5 inch barrel
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master

This brought to mind a rifle that was given to me and I’ve never done anything with. It’s a Spanish Oviedo that’s been rebarreled to .270 Win. I’m not willing to shoot it with full power loads. I’ve read here that the .270 isn’t the best cast boolit caliber but wondering how it might work for quiet loads. The ideal situation would be to rebarrel it back to 7x57. Either way, it seems like a good use for the rifle with either cast or j-words. Thoughts?
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I haven’t made any sub loads but to sum up probably 20+ hours of reading over the last year. CFE blk and 1680 are the best choices for sub powders, the lee sub mold isn’t worth a darn, cast lead boolits(even pced ones) will create lead buildup in a suppressor over time so you should only use a user serviceable can or be prepared to periodically remove the lead using the controversial “the dip”. Some pistol powders will work but won’t create enough gas To cycle the bolt reliably which is what 1680 and the CFE blk do so well. Also powders like H110 might work just fine but with such little case fill a double charge can happen pretty easily and they can be very position sensitive. One of those situations where you just need to get the right toll for the job even if it means paying a little more or waiting for a back order to be filled.
    90% professional 10% mature

Boolit Master
    shooting about any cast load will cause leading in a can. Even guys shooting comps on their pistols using PC'ed bullets are getting lead build up on the comp. I stick to j bullets in my can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast