RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Mold mis alignment

Boolit Master

Mold mis alignment

I CAST A FEW WITH MY LYMAN 358477 & THEY LOOK LIKE THE MOLD IS NOT QUITE LINED UP, I WENT TO LUBE EM & ONE HALF OF A SIDE HAS LUBE & OPPOSITE ON THE OTHER SIDE
    THE NEXT TIME I HAVE THIS MOLD CLEAN I`M GONNA CLEAN THE VENT LINES GOOD & KNOCK THE PINS OUT A LITTLE.

ANY IN PUT IS GREATLY APPERETIATED!!!!

GP1OOMAN
    Last edited by GP100man; 11-05-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: SPELON

Boolit Master
    Is this a new mould? I had a recently purchase Lyman 452424 that was so misaligned it casted a oval boolit .457x.445, I sent it back.

Boolit Master

Heavy Lead

i purchaced it used, from an estate sell off.
    i like the pb & it drops a 154gr boolit with 50/50 stick on & WW
    i cast about 200 to try out , then went to size & lube em & noticed the lube as described
    the boolits fall out of the mold .
    is an equally out of round boolit out of balance????
    i`m thinkin of loadin some up in 38spl & go see how they fly.

GP100man

Boolit Master
    I guess you never know until you pull the trigger on it. Might suprise you, especially with a soft alloy.

Boolit Master

would lappin help ??????
    as a last resort though.
    i gotta get em under some magnification to see whats what.

GP100man

Moderator Emeritus
    GP100man,

Sorry, I don't understand your statement that 1/2 the boolit is lubed and the other 1/2 is not (if that's what you said). In this case, wouldn't the problem be with the lube sizer only delivering lube to 1/2 the size die instead of with the mold?

If you rotate the boolit 180 degrees and run it back through the lube sizer, is it properly lubed?

You may have some hardened lube stuck in some of the size die holes.

When you close the mold, are the top of the blocks lined up? Do the cavities appear to also be lined up? If so, you should be fine...

John

Super Moderator

..............Hmmmmmmm. I'm with garandsrus on this. If you meant to say the boolit was SIZED on one side of the parting line, and not the other then yup, your blocks are mis-aligned. If it was lube, the check your die.

If you suspect block mis-alignment, check for daylight between the blocks. Also, grasp a block half in each hand then place them together, then try to twist them back and forth. Also check for any rocking motion by pinching opposing corners. Inspect the perimeter of the alignment pin holes to check for proud metal.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one so misaligned. I sent it back to Lyman. They offer a rehab service. The naked boolit was produced just a little off proper alignment and when sized the "half lubed" thing became appearent. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Still waiting to have it returned. It was an old, well used mould. Just hoping it will be serviceable when returned.
    PS. Lapping will only aggrivate the error, I think. Would probably end up with an egg shaped boolit. That's why I sent it back to the company. If you lap it, let us know how it looks when you finish.
    Last edited by 725; 11-07-2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: PS

Boolit Master

to all:
    the lube groovesare full it`s that the lube ooozes up the side really thin & that`s where the
    boolit does`nt touch the die
    Buckshot :
    yep i cleaned & put some magnification on my old eyes & there`s proud metal on the female block ,both holes , almost equal to each other& you can twist the blocks approximatly.010-.012 .
    they will pinch end to end but not side to side .010-.012
    is this what happens when some one beats the bejesus out of em , or heat warpage, both ????
    trash or fixer uppers????
    600 paper & a flat surface????
    ping, i mean peen the dis placed metal back in the alignment holes????

GP100man
    Last edited by GP100man; 11-07-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelun

Super Moderator

"i mean peen the dis placed metal back in the alignment holes????"

..............That would depend on if the holes were wallowed out below. The expressed metal DOES have to be removed one way or the other. To peen it back would take a light touch and some judicious tapping with a light hammer and a broad flat nosed punch. However if there is much metal it would be best to do that, and THEN wipe the face on some oiled 400 wet or dry paper on a flat surface.

After that a hand held 60* countersink rotated evenly in each hole should take care of it. In blocks I've seen like that, just getting a nice shiney ring of even width ( maybe 0.020" max) all the way around works. This gives you a new edge for the hole, and the small bevel helps to guide the pin in. And you will for sure have to tap the pins in just a bit deeper.

"is this what happens when some one beats the bejesus out of em , or heat warpage, both ????"

Basicly it's just caused by incautious or heavy handed use. Slapping the blocks back together, especially on ill fitting handles causes the problem. The blocks are cast iron and the alignment pins are steel.

"trash or fixer uppers????"

Oh I'm sure you can get them back to casting just fine. Just drive the pins in enough to get good solid closure without any wiggle woggle. If they're opening with a bit of drag, but that's the only way you can get the looseness out, so be it. It will work itself out. Be sure the blocks don't just flap all over on the handles.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I had the same issue with my 311008 I bought second hand. It was throwing bullets .310 x .316. I did just as Buckshot has said and it came right instantly. Clean up the pin alignment holes with a countersink tool, REAL gentle and careful like, put the two halves together and drive the pins in just a SHADE.

Worked a treat. Now throwing bullets .312-.313 'round' again.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

anachronism
    In some cases, you can use your old case deburring tool to clean up the alignment dowel holes. Don't use your good one, use the one you bought a replacement for, but didn't toss because it might still be good for some big caliber rifle you once thought of owning. I've revived some really rough moulds by doing this, then cleaning up the parting faces with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper (with oil) on a piece of glass. Then reset the dowels.

Boolit Master

thanks to all :
    i took a 5/8 punch & squared it up , lined it up perpindicular & pushed the proud metal almost
    level then countersunk the holes rubbed flat on wet dry 400 with oil .
    the tricky part was i knocked the pins out too far & took a peice of brass & pushed em back in started measuring & walaaa perfect,the top of the mold won`t even catch your finger nail. just a little sticky when cold but fine at temp .
    cleaned em up cast a few ,they don`t look like 2 halves stuck together .

the mould instantly became very sticky, so i lapped with a paste of 3in1 oil &comet.
    degreased & now they fall out again & size good & square.
    took alittle time, but with all the help good boolits fall from this mould once again.
    THANKS TO ALL!!!!!!!

GP100man