Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingPBcastcoLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Iron Sight Inc.

Banned

Iron Sight Inc.

Anybody used these guys? https://ironsightinc.com/index.php?r...mmon/reedfield

I favor those old Denver Redfields and have one with some issues I think is worth fixing.

Boolit Master

Hi Rich,
    I've used them before on an older Redfield and they did a fine job. There were a couple of things they couldn't fix (like a small dent in the scope tube,) but everything else was done well. My only caution is don't be in a hurry as I recall it took them a while to get it done. Ed

Boolit Master
    Yes, I have an old Denver Redfield 3-9x40 I inherit from my step father, I sent it to Iron Sights to have the loose reticle and bad orings replaced. I think it took about 13-14 months but it works nicely now.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    I have used their service a couple of times on older Weaver and Redfield scopes. Their work always satisfies my request to clean a cloudy view, change the reticle, and so on. Their price is reasonable for a limited market and the wait time for the job to be completed and returned is about 12 months.

Banned

Seems to be what everybody says, good work, reasonable, but long wait. Since I have a pretty high end scope that is useless as it sits, guess I'll send it in. Thanks for the reviews, guys.

Vendor Sponsor

I had wanted to get my Weaver K2.5 redone now for several years. It was in really nice condition except the lenses were delaminated, which is a common problem with older optics. I intend to mount the scope on my Marlin 336 .30-30 because it was made in 1958 and this scope is period correct being of the same vintage.

I considered sending it to a company called Iron Sight in Tulsa OK, who recently got a write up in American Rifleman Magazine, however after talking to the guy on the phone and finding out that he was quoting 13-16 months turn around time! After a lengthy conversation I found out that he is unwilling to hire more workers unless they are willing to work for $5/ hour and he only pays by the piece which in this case doesn't encourage people to stay long.

He had 1200 scopes backlogged! As a businessman I find this ridiculous. With the Mag article there will no doubt be a large wave of business flooding to this guy which will only put him further behind. He said he expected to go out to 24 months. That is REALLY ridiculous!

I then called another guy named Larry Weisz who runs L&K Scope Repair in Eldridge MO. (417-426-5041) He has 35+ years of experience working on optics of this type and specializes on Steel American made optics, as well as some of the more exotic optics from Europe.

He originally quoted me 6-8 weeks turnaround which is more in keeping with a well ran business. I told him what was needed and he quoted a price and I sent the scope to him by Priority Mail that day.

This was 3/31/14. I called him a week later wondering if he received the scope, and he told me that the scope was done and to send him a USPS MO for $150. I did and the rebuilt scope came in the mail today. (4/16/14)

Two weeks total gate to gate! Not bad compared to a Year and a Half.

It is perfect, and I just adjusted the focus a few minutes ago. And even though he charged more for the service than the other guy, ($25) he more than made up for the difference with the fast turnaround. I don't mind paying a little more when the service is that good and the product is great.

Any of you who have older name brand scopes that need attention might give him a call. A pre 64 Model 70 just doesn't look right with a new Nikon or Bushnell scope on it. It needs a vintage Weaver Redfield or Leupold to be right.

His Email is lkscoperepair@hughes.net Website is http://lkscoperepair.webs.com/

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-25-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Randy,
    Wow! Thanks for the information. Ed

ETA: Just checked the web site. Apparently it isn't set up. Regarding time period correct scopes, you are absolutely correct. When I scoped my '57 Savage Model 99, I dressed it with a steel tube Weaver K4.

Banned

Well, I sent it out today, guess we'll see what happens. It was just dead weight as it was, and I have other things to occupy my time, if it takes a year, it takes a year.

I'll keep this place in Missouri in mind. I like the old El Paso Weavers on vintage rifles as well and have quite a few of them. You can usually find old Weavers in decent shape for reasonable prices. I do have a couple of junk ones that could use refurbished. Might just send one or both to them and see.

Banned

I received their email confirmation that they had received my scope and they said the turn around time is 8-16 weeks. I guess we'll see. I was surprised to see that figure, most guys report it takes them the better part of a year, which I would have been OK with if their work is good.

Boolit Buddy
    Sent Iron Sight Inc an old SS tube handgun scope back in JAN18. It had been mounted on a 629 Smith back in the '80's and the tube had a crease in it from the Weaver rings along with cloudy lenses. On the phone they told me the tube probably couldn't be fixed (or replaced). Got the scope back in JUN18 with a new tube. Only thing I wasn't expecting was the 'thumb nut' on the tube which I suppose is a cap for a stem used to evacuate the tube. Still back sitting on a shelf where it's been since the '80's.

Banned

Well, I just got the scope back yesterday and mounted it and zeroed it on the rifle today, everything seems as it should, I sure like the new reticle a whole lot better. They received it on October 29th and I got it back March 13th, a little more than the 16 weeks they estimated but not anywhere near what others on this thread have said. So far, I'm pretty pleased, scope was an old Denver Redfield, 8-24X if I recall (rifle is locked away at the moment) with the big target knobs, so not a cheap scope by any means, definitely worth what I payed to fix it. It looks right on my old school Mauser target rifle.