Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More 357 Magnum Gel Testing J-words vs Cast

More 357 Magnum Gel Testing J-words vs Cast

A general pattern is emerging. While cast boolits are capable of outstanding terminal performance, they seem to be capable of this performance only in a narrow velocity range, which somewhat limits their utility for rifles.

As I showed before the 359 Mihec hammer bullet with flat point pin expands magnificently and penetrates to a respectable depth at 1800 FPS. At 1200 FPS it is an icepick.

The 180 Grain Hornady XTP is not capable of quite the performance, clocking just under 1700 FPS in my Marlin with a charge of 16 grains of 300MP. At this velocity though that bullet nearly breaks apart, expanding to almost 3/4" of an inch and penetrates only 13". 80% retained weight. At a lower velocity (same load out of my 5" 686) of 1200 FPS this bullet still performs respectably, getting .58" of expansion and going deeper with 97% retained weight. So this could be a potential one load for two guns situation.

I did some more testing with moderate 357 loads. 13.5 grains of 2400 gets the 162 grain Hammer bullet with the small hollowpoint cavity going to nearly 1250 FPS in my 686. This load expanded beautifully to .635" and retained 100% of its weight. Same load out of my marlin and it blew up, shedding the entire hollowpoint section which broke into two parts and the core traveling to a greater depth. Not even 60% of the weight was retained in the three remaining fragments. It went 1600 FPS out of the marlin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gel test today.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	249973

Boolit Master
    I dont really consider it a disadvantage since by nature cast are made as needed and alloys per application. A jacketed needs to work in who knows what out of who knows what gun, so a required advantage basically. Im happy just getting something good for my single application,

i increased tin for best expansion in my 30-06 based on your recomendation.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20191020_221544.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	249980 i went from 1.5% to 3% and got it to keep its petals at 1800 impact into paper mush, got 220 gr 30 cal to .817" which for some reason is bigger than any 44 cast ive tested lol.

Below is 250gr 44 rifle testing comparing just air coww to a soft point where front 80gr is 1% tin 99% pure back is 50/50 heat treated. Air coww made a nice .75" mushroom while soft point kinda just smooshed the soft bit over the hard bit and is .65" and not as nice looking and barely kept full weight. But it would also work at lower speeds where only pure expands but wont be the best for any particular speed.

So thats sort of a way around your problem but id rather just optimize for 1 task.

Banned

If a deer or even a wild hog were three feet across, then 13” of penetration from that 180-grain XTP might not be enough. Also, fragmentation is not a bad thing if a projectile is designed to dump its energy into a soft target like deer or pigs.
    Finding a cast equivalent for penetration + expansion is a fun endeavor, I understand that. From what I’ve read and researched, there really is no “one” right answer. One would think the perfect alloy for 3-gun or steel or hunting would have been widely published by the year 2020. Also consider that jackets were added precisely because they were necessary to achieve the performance no alloy could match.
    R/Griff

Boolit Grand Master

I've found, at the velocities your using in the rifle, if the bullet is GC'd then a binary lead/tin alloy works much better than any alloy with antimony in it. I use a 16-1 alloy at 1400 - 1800 fps with excellent terminal expansion effect.

I concur with dangitgriff that 13" of penetration is certainly sufficicient for deer and most hogs. Three plus feet of penetration are not needed unless one is partial to Texas heart shoots.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Have you ever tried a 140 FTX in these tests?

Im finding myself “stuck” using it as it simply shoots lights out for me. Thing is its going 2350 fps, and I fear it a bomb.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    If a deer or even a wild hog were three feet across, then 13” of penetration from that 180-grain XTP might not be enough. Also, fragmentation is not a bad thing if a projectile is designed to dump its energy into a soft target like deer or pigs.
    Finding a cast equivalent for penetration + expansion is a fun endeavor, I understand that. From what I’ve read and researched, there really is no “one” right answer. One would think the perfect alloy for 3-gun or steel or hunting would have been widely published by the year 2020. Also consider that jackets were added precisely because they were necessary to achieve the performance no alloy could match.
    R/Griff
    A 3 foot wide deer?! We get some big deer around here, pushing 250 pound+, but the chest is closer to 12" (plus fur), maybe 16" on some big barrel chested brutes.

Besides that, curioushooter is using calibrated ballistics gel. It's a great, consistent test bed for COMPARATIVE purposes. 13" of penetration does not mean 13" of penetration in an animal. I've personally gutted 2 deer shot with the 180 grain XTP from a 357 magnum Ruger blackhawk at an estimated 1300 fps, as well as a 180 grain XTP from 10 mm auto, also at 1300 fps. All three were complete pass through. Two were great broadside shots, one (from 357 magnum) was down a hill, and at an angle. It passed through a good 16" of deer. I know you won't get 36" of straight line penetration from this load, but it is perfect for medium size game if you take good shots, and that doesn't mean you can't take shoulder, or frontal shots either.

Banned

I appreciate your insight and will file it into memory for future reference.
    I only have two questions, and that is, were you using the HP XTP’s, and, what the Sam-hill is ballistics gel supposed to emulate, in a relative manner, if not soft tissue?

Boolit Grand Master

I'm only seeing one type of 180 grain XTP for each the 38 and 40 calibers. It is a hollow point, and I saw no evidence to believe that all three bullets did not expand. Damage to the organs was plenty. I forgot to mention, ranges were short. Around the 20 yard mark for all three.

As for ballistics gel, that's a great question. I'll leave that to more knowledgeable people, but it's supposed to be a "body simulant". That includes skin, muscle, bone, organs, etc. Even the experts don't really know. What ballistics gel really offers is a consistent test bed that is recognized by everybody. It's for comparison purposes to other calibers/bullets, not be a 100% accurate representation of anything living.

Ballistic gel simulates muscle, not lung or brain or adipose tissue, which are both less dense and softer, and therefore offer less resistance. Calibrated ballistic gel is the worst case scenario, so a foot of penetration in it should be AT LEAST a foot on comparable target like a deer. Of course bones are another complication!

I corroborated the FBI spec of 2.9-3.5" of penetration with a 17 cal steel BB going 580-590 FPS in gel block vs a pork loin and a freshly killed deer haunch. All three got the business with my Daisy, all three were 2.9-3.5"

Boolit Master

Ya see... Thats what I always questioned. Beingbthe kid that I was I shot everything with a Daisy Springer.

That thing couldn't penetrate ANYTHING 2-3” from any distance. Furthermore anything with “skin” had armour... When we got hit maybe sometimes it embedded in the skin. MAYBE AND SOMETIMES.

If anything bal jell is repeatable but not at all a one for one. More like a 2 or 3:1. Meaning 3” was 1” in a living body. This is why 18” is a standard no normal person is 18” thick! 8-10” thur chest is more realistic. I have seen bullets in bodies how deep and much damage. These number from jell and the FBI minimums, have Always stuck in my brain with that question.

Just my speculations.

I dont know the validity of this but i have seen where the fbi wants the 18" or whatever in case they have to make less than ideal shots. Such as going through an arm first.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

My daisy isn't a springer. Those things could never achieve the necessary velocity to penetrate ~3" in gel or flesh. The Daisy 880, a multi-pump pneumatic with a 17 cal steel BB does this easily. The thing is no toy. I would not be surprised if it could penetrate a skull. They are good fun, accurate with pellets at the short ranges they can be used at, and quiet. I see Henry is producing these 22LR smoothbore rifles for "garden pests." Methinks the folks attracted to that need try a Daisy first.

I bought it for less than $40 specifically to do gel calibration. It is as essential as a chronograph AFAIC.

The reason why the FBI (and hunters) should desire ample penetration (150% to 200% of the average depth of the animal) is because shots are seldom perfect perpendicular shots. They can even be at extreme angles where this geometrically increases the depth sometimes to almost two feet on an average deer.

I consider pass through a positive. But passing through with ton of velocity left over is pointless. It doesn't make a bigger wound in the animal or improve terminal effectivness. In the rare handgun that has enough velocity to leave a serious exit wound (like a Contender with a bottleneck cartridge), this means exessive meat damage, too. Also certain cartridges like 357 maximum generate sufficient velocity in Contender to make solids expand reliably. Solids begin to expand around 1400 FPS. They reliably expand at 1600. These velocities rip apart cast HPs. A cup point has some hope. But I've only had jacketed bullet (XTPs specifically) hold together at these velocities.

Solids, even cast of rather soft alloys, have proven time and time again to not expand at normal handgun velocites. They all easily pass through. Even 38 special will pass through with a heavy solid. In a sense a 357 magnum and 38 special are EQUIVALENT in their wounding potential when using solids.

When using HPs a whole new world opens up (pun intended) where the magnum will have enough momentum at impact to make a wound ~3x greater in volume and still pass through! This is with the same recoil (a little less actually) and potentially the same level of accuracy. But it is something more complicated than "bullet makes hole" (which is what solids do at handgun velocity). With HPs a balance of expansion, penetration, retention, etc. needs to be found and it can be tricky. It is essential in my opinion to test with HPs otherwise you cannot be confident it will work. But even if the HP doesn't expand (the best case senario) it will do no worse than a solid will. The worse situation with a HP is too great of velocity, over-expansion, or insufficient momentum (using too light of a bullet). All of these will result in insufficient penetration.
    Last edited by curioushooter; 12-30-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Boolit Master

Cannot disagree at all CS.

Im a firm believer is heavy for caliber and slow and heavy beats fast and light for my needs.

Two holes simply have greater chance of a blood trail. Energy dump sounds great, While is 100% is true and real, the AMOUNT actually imparted isnt what most believe it to be.

CW

Moderator Emeritus

While an interesting experiment, there is a point where cast excels and that is zero or no expansion. There is a reason many consider the 243, 26 Nosler, Creedmore etc excellent hunting calibers and that is expansion. Many cast shooters want tissue disruption rather than expansion. Veral Smith documented the internal bleeding of animals when shot with a long narrow wound channel vs a larger shorter one. The body has an ability to quickly stop a short wide blood loss resulting in a long trail or if enough damage occurs, organ trauma resulting in a quicker kill. A longer narrow wound that has a non-quagulating blood loss, resulted in a dead animal, usually bleed out in 25 yards or less. Comparing how cast does to jacketed implies that we want to imitate it, rather than rediscovering what else works.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

But there is SO MUCH to that!!!

Bullet profile and diameter are two big ones along side velocity and then of coarse we all know “Where trumps What” ten times outta nine!

CW

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr Gibson has made a good point about using a binary alloy. Sb is a cheap way to get hardness but it also makes the alloy more brittle, and the bullet can lose integrity.

BTW, I have really enjoyed your posts. Thanks for sharing your work.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I will argue this; a wide flat nose cast boolit does not have to expand. The WFN or even LFN with a meplat approaching close to .80 of the diameter driven at moderate and up velocity will do incredible stretch damage to the intended target. One has to ask why expansion? Simple; to displace more critical tissue like lung or heart. That momentary “splash” caused by velocity and the frontal area of the projectile translates into permanent damage which leads to damage of critical tissue needed for life. The “tissue splash” needs several elements to cause the most damage; diameter, velocity , penetration and of course it needs to hit critical tissue. So in your quest for the truth you focused allot on diameter and penetration. I still contend that a good WFN driven at a velocity appropriate for its diameter harvests game very effectively.

I have shot many deer I have shot 22 of them with a 475 Linebaugh 350 grain GC WFN loaded over 11 grains of Unique both from a John Linebaugh converted Bisley and a Number 1 Ruger. Those deer were shot from various angles and distances from 25 yards to 150 yards. Two of those included shots with deer looking straight at me. Others were quartering away to broadside. I only recovered one bullet that went through the deer into about 12 feet along the snow then lodging in the ground 6”. The damage to the deer depended on the distance (velocity) but all of those animals expired quickly and the internal damage was significant. That bullet I recovered a WFN with no expansion. In most cases the lungs were mush or the heart was taken out. The two facing me the bullet exited out the rear of the animal. I have also taken elk with 44 magnum handgun with 300 grain WFN bullets bullets did not exit were under the far side hide but the internal damage was significant. Those bullets I drove to max velocity because they were smaller in diameter but the WFN (diameter) + velocity disrupted critical tissue very well. Those elk traveled about 100 yards and down they went. This only two caliber examples but I am a firm believer in WFN cast the smaller the diameter or caliber the harder you want to drive them....

Where can one go to study Veral Smith's work? I would like to know how he did those experiments.

Boolit Master

He has been fairly active over on Greybeards cast bullet area for many years. But learn know his personality he is quite set in his ways and how he does things. It is HIS BOARD, and when posting there know he will remind anyone of that. But he is a wealth of information.

CW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Where can one go to study Veral Smith's work? I would like to know how he did those experiments.
    You could buy his book it is one more good source most of what I referenced was first hand experience. Of course I will admit Veral was an influence but in the end I had to find things out for myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast