Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My son's first

Boolit Master

My son's first

My 8yo son's birthday present and his first gun (bottom, top one is mine.) I cut down a Ruger American Rimfire Talo edition 22lr to youth size. The barrel is 16.25" and threaded with a seamless thread/muzzle protector which provides a nicely recessed target crown. Barrel work done by LRI Inc. I swapped the original gold bead front sight for the fiber-optic version. Length of pull is 12.5". I cut the stock myself with a melonite blade and fixturing described by a MidwayUSA video. Grind to fit recoil pad took me two tries to get just right. I chamfered all the sharp edges Ruger leaves. Brownell's competitor plus sling. Comes in at 5.3lbs with magazine.

I'm proud of my son and I'm proud of the rifle I built for him. I hope he teaches his own kids to shoot with it one day and it brings back happy memories of his old man. I've been looking forward to this time since the moment he was born. He's shown good marksmanship and safety discipline with the bb-guns so this is a natural progression for him. He is ready. I so look forward to good times with my son on the range!

Last edited by Oreo; 10-20-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Very nice outfit, lucky kid.

Very nice. Good job.

Boolit Master

Wonderful, wonderful !!
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Fantastic rifle and wonderful gift for your son!!! Building my daughters first 22 and is painting it together is one of my fondest memories!

Both of those are great looking rifles...

All of us kids that learned with full sized guns want better for our kids. I customized a 510 Remington and a JC Higgins bolt .22 for my daughters when they started. Good on you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I like it....you did an excellent job.....I know he will cherish it and as he passes it on you will enjoy it with your grandson/granddaughter and great grandson/great granddaughter!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the kind words guys. I hope I live long enough and in good health enough to see my grandkids, or even great-grandkids learn to shoot with it. That would be an excellent treat.

As you can see, I really like the RAR in Talo trim. My son is also very excited about it, which makes me happy, and makes the work / expense worth it. The RAR really makes a nice youth gun.

I took him out to blow up some soda cans with stingers on his birthday. That was fun. He was apprehensive about the idea of hunting squirrels, but he's not ready to take his rifle afield yet anyway. Maybe in a couple years or so, and only if he wants to. In the meantime, we're blessed with a rural backyard suitable for steel targets out to 100yds or so. Ahh, good times!
    Last edited by Oreo; 10-22-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    Nicely done! I am sure you both will enjoy the time you spend shooting your rifles together.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    My 8yo son's birthday present and his first gun (bottom, top one is mine.) I cut down a Ruger American Rimfire Talo edition 22lr to youth size. The barrel is 16.25" and threaded with a seamless thread/muzzle protector which provides a nicely recessed target crown. Barrel work done by LRI Inc. I swapped the original gold bead front sight for the fiber-optic version. Length of pull is 12.5". I cut the stock myself with a melonite blade and fixturing described by a MidwayUSA video. Grind to fit recoil pad took me two tries to get just right. I chamfered all the sharp edges Ruger leaves. Brownell's competitor plus sling. Comes in at 5.3lbs with magazine.

I'm proud of my son and I'm proud of the rifle I built for him. I hope he teaches his own kids to shoot with it one day and it brings back happy memories of his old man. I've been looking forward to this time since the moment he was born. He's shown good marksmanship and safety discipline with the bb-guns so this is a natural progression for him. He is ready. I so look forward to good times with my son on the range!

Great job!

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Quality work. Well done.

My sons and I started last year with a savage rascal. Ivehad more fun watching them shoot, then shooting myself. Theyre groups are getting closer and closer to the "ice cream ticket" i mean bullseye... each shot in the red is one scoup.

Boolit Grand Master

That is so nice, lucky son! Can I call you Dad
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    At 8 years old your son deserves to feel very happy to have his own rifle. As he grows older and matures he will realize how much love his father showed him by creating matching rifles. You did well with this project.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Nice job of fitting the pad and good on ya for encouraging the young 'un .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I got the use of mom,s.shotgun young like your son. Then a .22 the next year. Then my grandfather and I were building something in the barn. The circular saw.was on the bale of straw we were kneeling over. He says and I will never forget it. You will be 14 or 15 before you can use the circular.saw. Everyone feared kids and running saws around here. He also said I was going to learn how to use handsaws first. Forbade from ever sawing from a ladder with a chainsaw or going in the woods with a chainsaw alone. "Who'se going to pick you up and take you to the ER of you are alone with a kickback to face like Kenny Day did?" But we got our long guns before we were ten.��

Kenny had to go to ER himslef. with a bloody rag over half.his face. His unbloodied eye had to have been watering like crazy. And what did the clerk at the door think seeing that? The doctors did a miracle worked job on his face.

Very nice pair of father & son rifles.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Master
    What a great father and son combo !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    At 8 years old your son deserves to feel very happy to have his own rifle. As he grows older and matures he will realize how much love his father showed him by creating matching rifles. You did well with this project.
    I've said my son won't fully appreciate this rifle till he's ready to teach his own children. Then. And that's the point, that the rifle is a symbol of a father's love and lessons that are to be handed down through generations.
    Last edited by Oreo; 12-02-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast