Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled real bone head move, think I did any damage?

Boolit Master

Pulled real bone head move, think I did any damage?

I did a real stupid thing tonight cleaning a rifle.

On my cast guns, part of my cleaning regimen is at the end of the brushing cycle, I run a stainless steel bore brush for ONE pass through the bore. While cleaning my .223 Howa 1500, I somehow got confused an put the .25 cal stainless brush on the rod. Of course it got stuck, and there was no way I could reverse it to pull it out. I ended up taking a mallet, and with light taps was able to run it all the way from breech to muzzle.

My question, do you think that one single pass of a stainless .25 cal bor brush up a .22 bore would have damaged anything?

Banned

Scratched it. I only use the SS brushes on old milsurp barrels when I first get them.

Boolit Mold
    Shoot it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jeffugreene View Post
    Shoot it

Yep. You'll probably find it didn't do anything.

Boolit Mold
    Think about it. If you were in the trenches and the enemy were charging, you dropped your last round in the mud and your didn’t have to clean it. Send it! It’ll be fine, over thinking it

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    You're fine! Don't worry about it!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Learned from it. Don't repeat it.

You & the firearm will be just fine.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

No SS brushes in my house, and the copper ones very rarely get used.

Only for extreme cases of leading, And even then I got more lead out faster with ATF and a very tight patch followed by a tight dry patch, repeat as needed.

But everyone does things their own way.

Shoot it, chances are all will be ok.

Boolit Master
    I would throw the stainless steel brushes in the trash, personally. There are too many alternatives to them available that have less potential to damage your bore.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Should be fine.

SS brushes are way more aggressive than I want to use in a bore.
    I keep a couple to clean inside case necks, but have gone to the nylon ones for barrels.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

With the added force to get it thru the smaller bore and with the small dia rod for a 22 I would be more concerned with rod damage from the rod springing. But here I would also shoot it and see. Use a known load and test to see if it groups the same as before

Boolit Master

Probably no harm done. Shoot to see if it groups same as before, If no, then shoot a few "fire-lap" boolits thru it.
    Get rid of stainless bore brushes!
    Larry

I vote, keep your SS brushes, but stop using them unless needed for a neglected bore. I doubt you did any damage, less so if you were using solvent. The bristles would have layed so the tips would be less likely to scratch.

If it is scratched it will soon be smooth again courtesy of those 3000+ fps 55gr polishers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    You are good. Don't worry about that kind of stuff.

Boolit Master

I agree, SS literally only gets used for ONE pass at the end of the cleaning cycle. Otherwise it's normal (copper?) brushes, and even those sparingly.

Yes the bore was wet with solvent.

I won't get around to shooting it till spring probably. It's my Highpower rifle, and that season has wrapped up. From your feedback, I'm feeling this will be OK, just a lesson learned!

Thank you for all the replies!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I would throw the stainless steel brushes in the trash, personally. There are too many alternatives to them available that have less potential to damage your bore.
    ^^^ THIS^^^

NO STAINLESS STEEL EVER NEEDED HERE!!!

Leading removes multiple other methods that wont damage rifling. So what it it requires multi strokes with a bronze brush!?!?!

The gun isnt ruined, even if likely deeply scratched. But it sure will foul quicker and you added many thousands of rounds of wear and shortened its life span. Simply not worth a simple mistake that ANY AND ALL will/have made. Live and learn.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    Patrick L - I wouldn't even use a stainless steel bush for that single pass through the barrel. It's just not needed and there are far better alternatives. Toss those SS brushes out.

I doubt you did much damage but if there was damage, it's done now. Let it go.

Even when I'm trying to clean old, neglected military surplus rifles with ugly bores, I avoid SS brushes.

Boolit Grand Master

I doubt you did any real damage but wouldn't use any SS brush unless it is Tornado style. The plastic brushes just seem to last longer than the phosphor bronze ones even with ED's Red, if you use Sweets or another copper remover plastic is the only way to go.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    I agree, SS literally only gets used for ONE pass at the end of the cleaning cycle. Otherwise it's normal (copper?) brushes, and even those sparingly.

Yes the bore was wet with solvent.

I won't get around to shooting it till spring probably. It's my Highpower rifle, and that season has wrapped up. From your feedback, I'm feeling this will be OK, just a lesson learned!

Thank you for all the replies!
    I’d say you have an excuse to look for a nice day and get thee out to the range to try it out again. Take a good rest and plenty of ammo so you can make a day of it and test your rifle thoroughly. You will then have reassured yourself (or found out you need to install a new barrel during the off season ) so either way, you’ll know for sure. Also you’ll have a day at the range, where even a bad day is better than a good day at work!). Just a guess, but the bore will probably be OK, so it will be a win-win! When you get it home, clean properly without the stainless brush!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast