RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Lee 452-228-1R...

Boolit Master

Question Lee 452-228-1R...

Anyone loading the Lee 452-228-1R in a 1911?

What are you sizing the boolit to and what about O.C.L.?

I loaded a dummy round at 0.452” and to length recommended and it stuck in the chamber. I had to take a wooden dowel and tap it out…

Thoughts?

Thanks...BCB

Banned
    You have to size these shorter than relisted. The best way is to find what your gun likes (I use unprimed empty cases for this)
    Pull your barrel and do the drop test until you get the correct length then sorten it by a couple of thou for insurance.

They have to be seated at the edge of the parallel surface to work. My buds and I fired thousands of those in the bowling pin/ combat match days. Wierd boolit but not a bad boolit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I did , it was the first Lee 45 acp mould I ever bought . I didn't care for it at all .
    The 1-radius nose profile just isn't correct . I had trouble getting it to feed...it had to be seated fairly deep . Tried sizing .451 and .452 it didn't make any difference feeding . I didn't like the round nose . I bought a second hand Lyman 452460 200 gr. SWC that fed like all git out and cut clean holes in targets for scoring. This design is a sweetheart.
    That Lee mould is the only mould I ever sold in 50 years of casting...$5.00 at a garage sale and I felt bad about taking the guys money...but I did warn him !
    My opinion...that design sucks rocks. I would give the 452-230-TC a try , works much better in my opinion .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    The radius is in fact a deviation from the intended bullet profile for a 1911. To seat it at a more nearly correct OAL for a 1911 requires a throated barrel.

1911s like longer OALs. The 230-2R mimics the correct ball profile, a reason it was introduced.

I ran into this also with my first 1911.
    Lee should really indicate this Mould is designed for the 45 colt.

Boolit Master
    My father-in-law got that mold and we fired thousands through our 1911's. Had to adjust to OAL a bit to cycle correctly but they worked well. FWIW, I had the 200gn SWC and it worked well in my 1911 but my FIL's it did not. Which was why he got the RN mold.

He then worked on a hollow point version. We played around with HP shapes for about a year and then found that if we duplicated the cavity in the Winchester Silvertips it would work just as well. He then got it to be reliable in his little Star PD, even expanding after going through a couple layers of denim.

Keep in mind that both our 1911's were original Colt. His was a factory National Match and mine was a pre-war retrofitted with a Colt NM barrel. And we were using GI magazines (along with his factory NM mags).

It worked well in both .45 ACP 1917 S&W's and a 1909 Colt .45 LC that I used to have. I quit using it when I switched to the 200gr SWC and most recently the 230gr TC for my auto pistols.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk