Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast 480 ruger annoyance!

Vendor Sponsor

Avoid the carbide ring FCD. The one you want is the collet style FCD. However when you get it stock from Lee, the crimp band is too wide and it sits too high on the case mouth and actually crimps the boolit in front of the case mouth. WTH? Who needs the boolit crimped we are trying to size boolits to a specific size, not swage them down (which the carbide FCD does a very good job of), so the collet needs to be machined to narrow the crimp band to .050" or so, and drop it to just below the case mouth for it to work the best it can work. I do a good enough number of these mods, here is a thread showing how I improve the collet style FCD: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2239315
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

For what it's worth, I've used the carbide crimp die in many cases with no problems. The big issue as DougGuy says is if it sizes down the bullet. Specifically, brass springs back more than lead. If the carbide crimp die does size the bullet down, it will also ruin your neck tension.

A bullet sizer should fix your problem.

One simple thing to try is doing the seating and crimping in two separate steps. Back the die out a couple turns then move the stem down till it seats the bullet over the crimp groove. Then back the stem way out and adjust the die down for the correct crimp.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    One simple thing to try is doing the seating and crimping in two separate steps. Back the die out a couple turns then move the stem down till it seats the bullet over the crimp groove. Then back the stem way out and adjust the die down for the correct crimp.
    Already doing that, as of now I am actually seating with a 500s&w die then crimp with the 480 die. But still probably a 1-2 thousands fat, ive got it down to chambering in 3 of the 6 chambers. I can push them into the other 3 but hard to extract and I dont want stuck cases if I try to fire them like that. I will probably be good to go once I get my bullet sizer.

Boolit Master
    my carbide factory crimp dies for revolvers do not even touch the case unless it is way out of spec. fired un-sized cases will drop in past the carbide ring , but I have no experience with them in .480 .
    Could the floating crimp ring in the die be in upside down?
    Last edited by onelight; 10-25-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    Lee sizer showed up today. Bullets sized to .477 are a friction fit to the chamber throats can push them through with a pencil, also the bullet sizing ram works as a flat seating plug in the 500 die. Loaded a test round and it fits in all 6 chambers. Should work for what I need to do. Thanks everyone for helping me think my way through this one.
    Last edited by Mica_Hiebert; 11-01-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Edit: whoops, got here late to the party.

So your boolits fit your throats. That's most of the battle. If unscrewing the seater body to raise the crimp shoulder out of the way is not getting the job done it sounds like that die needs to be adjusted for more slop using a lathe. That or maybe have Lee adjust it for you. My SRH throats like .476" boolits with a gas check. I just have one mould for this caliber. Its Miha's 400 grain from a group buy. The 4 die set from Hornady works like a charm. Alternatively you could make a lead lap from a cast boolit with a long screw sunk into its base, coat it with some valve grinding compound and go to town on the minor diameter of that seater die. Sounds like you don't need to remove much.

Paul

Boolit Master
    I found a set of rcbs dies I had retired as the sizing die leaves a big scratch in the case but I chucked up the seating stem in my brother inlaws lathe and turned it into a flat seating stem. Im going to try that die when I get a chance to hit the loading bench again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12