RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: VV Tin Star vs Trail boss in 45 colt

Boolit Master

VV Tin Star vs Trail boss in 45 colt

Calling Mr Gibson!!

I am looking to use a powder that fills the case better, but still gets standard velocity for the 45 Colt of 800-900 FPS using 250-260 gr bullets. Looking at the Hodgdon website, it shows the max charge of trail boss with a 250 gr bullet is getting under 800 FPS. Looking at the Vihtavouri website, it shows being able to reach 1,000 FPS with Tin Star using a 250 RNFP bullet. I’m not trying to go that high, lol.

What I’m asking is if it’s possible to reach my velocity window with trail boss or is VV Tin Star the way to go?

Thank you.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    They are a spitting image of each other execpt for one very important thing:
    Vv N32C Tinstar is less bulky and 100% loads are way high pressure!

Starting load for Trailboss is 70% and slowly work up to 100%, starting load for Tinstar is only 50% and stop @70-75%.
    I'we seen a fine 1886 year 1873 SAA dismantle cylinder and detatch top strap with a 100% load of Tinstar.

Boolit Master
    17nut- Thanks for that warning! I had seen something about that while perusing the webs but had forgotten it.

I’m not wanting to compress loads. Just trying to get in the 800-900 FPS window with a bulkier powder. I have a can of trail boss here, and it would take 8 gr of trailboss to reach the bottom of my deepest seated 45 colt bullet without compression. That bullet is also a hollow base so there is still room for the little donuts to move around.

My concern is that most manuals and the Hodgdon sight top out around 6 gains of trail boss with 250 gr bullet, but I have seen many recommendations to load to the base of the bullet with trail boss, which puts the load a grain or more higher than max.

Boolit Master
    IMR says that you’ll be fine with a bit more trailboss, see https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...-loads-r_p.pdf

Boolit Master
    That covers rifle rounds, but what about cartridges like the 45 colt which already has pressure tested data? Is it still the same process?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    That covers rifle rounds, but what about cartridges like the 45 colt which already has pressure tested data? Is it still the same process?
    I’ve always assumed so. Have you looked at how the pressure tested data was developed? If it was in a test barrel as usual it might not be all that applicable to a revolver.

Probably better to call them than to take the word of some nut on the internet, even if I happen to be that nut.

Boolit Master
    Good advice. I’ll call them tomorrow. I’ve used unique for years, nothing wrong with it, but I have a bunch of trailboss I want to burn up. I just want full power 45 colt loads using 250-260 grain bullets.

Boolit Master
    I tend to use trailboss for lighter loads or cowboy loads, not sure that you’ll get to full power even with more powder. Please let us know what they say.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    ..Calling Mr Gibson!!

I am looking to use a powder that fills the case better, but still gets standard velocity for the 45 Colt of 800-900 FPS using 250-260 gr bullets. ..Thank you...
    I am not Larry Gibson but another powder that will fill the case and get you to the velocity you seek is good old Black Powder, either 2f or 3f. A bonus is the great satisfying boom that accompanies each shot! Also, a bit of smoke.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.