MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter is coming; like to see some good chili recipes

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Last night...at my house... it was a gumbo with Chicken , Andouille , chicken gizzards , chicken hearts , okra and file' powder ...you not going to find that gumbo in any recipe book or restaurant !

Home cookin is de best !
    Gary
    You hit all the requirements for a good gumbo in my book.. Okra, Andouille, and File'. I like mine with duck....and absolutely insist on a homemade roux....chocolate brown, and a labor of true love for a real Gumbo.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Well, we had the big "annual chili cook off" at work today. I've been so disgruntled with the results in the past that I threatened a boycott. I tried in vain to get someone else in my department to make chili, after all it's a fund raiser for our humanity fund. None would step up to the plate, so I said, " don't expect much, I'm going to throw something into a crock pot and bring it! ".

Here it is.

2 large cans of Bushes chili beans
    1 can of kidney beans
    1 pack of McCormick Mexican chili seasoning
    1 pack of burrito seasoning
    1 one can of chopped green chilies
    1 tbsp of Mexican chili powder
    1 1/2 lb browned ground pork
    1 pound ground beef patties chopped
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup salt
    1 tbsp black pepper
    1 stick of butter
    And lastly, 25 chopped fresh habnero peppers straight from the garden!

I ment for it to be a tonsil torching chili straight from hell!

How it works.
    You buy a ticket, taste all the entries you care to, and vote for your favorite. I knew mine was a success when someone announced, "Holy moly! That number eight is hotter than blue blazes! ".
    I figured at the end of the cook off, I'd be bringing 2/3 a crock of hotter n hell chili back home, can it, and use a pint at a time as a chili starter for a new batch. I couldn't believe my eyes when it was nearly all consumed! I'll admit it had a good flavor profile, but a head pounding slow burn that hit all the way to your belly button! I guess you never know? It was ment to be more of a joke than a serious entry.
    Dude....I feel your pain. We used to have a chili cookoff at work, and it was fun. Last time we had one....dude 'won' with a yellowish, greenish, awful contraption that didn't even come CLOSE to resembling chili. In the aftermath....he admitted that he flavored the entire disaster with taco bell seasoning packs. No joke.

In the after-aftermath...everyone eventually admitted that they voted for it just to poke the ego of the already egomaniac. It was pretty fun to watch him gloat...but damn, I worked hard on a venison tenderloin chili, marinated for 3 days in bourbon and my 'secret' chili seasoning, then smoked.....and then chilied with fresh garden peppers, tomatillos and onions. It truly was a masterpiece. And NO....I'm not butthurt at all.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Dude....I feel your pain. .everyone eventually admitted that they voted for it just to poke the ego of the already egomaniac.
    I got ripped off like that once, our company had a Halloween theme cooking event:

Most people brought their little bat cookies, and cupcakes with a candy corn pumpkin on them.

I got a jello mold of a human brain from a novelty catalog.
    I found the recipe to make gray jello, mixed honey, powdered sugar, and red food coloring to look like blood.

The 'presentation' was perfect......… It was the nastiest looking thing ya ever saw.
    Once you got over the appearance -- it tasted pretty good.

Everybody voted, and a common apple pie won.
    Probably because the CEO submitted it.
    I'm not sure, but it might have even come from the grocery store.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-01-2019 at 12:24 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    No need to be butt hurt, as my momma says, "the proofs in the pudding"! I've never won, but I never bring any chili back home either!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It pains me to see some of these Yankee recipes where the word 'chili' is so abused and desecrated.

This thread reminded me of the first Mother in Law who was born & raised in Baltimore.
    We were up there one time and she made (what they referred to as) chili.

For those who want to make real, authentic Baltimore chili- I've reverse engineered the recipe.

1. Pour one jar of grocery store spaghetti sauce in a pan, followed by 3 of the same jars of water.
    2. Take one package of hot dogs, cut them in half, and put them in the pan also.
    3. Heat on the stove.

4. Stay close, so you can put 'the stink eye' on anyone that doesn't look like they just love it.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love it.

Banned

yup authentic chilli is Mexican. It was a way poor Mexicans could use meat that was a bit spoiled or there old donkey that just keeled over dead and hide that nasty tasting meat by overpowering the taste of it with readily available peppers. Sounds real yummy to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It pains me to see some of these Yankee recipes where the word 'chili' is so abused and desecrated.

This thread reminded me of the first Mother in Law who was born & raised in Baltimore.
    We were up there one time and she made (what they referred to as) chili.

For those who want to make real, authentic Baltimore chili- I've reverse engineered the recipe.

1. Pour one jar of grocery store spaghetti sauce in a pan, followed by 3 of the same jars of water.
    2. Take one package of hot dogs, cut them in half, and put them in the pan also.
    3. Heat on the stove.

4. Stay close, so you can put 'the stink eye' on anyone that doesn't look like they just love it.

Vendor Sponsor

I have hung back and waited Chili threads out, no telling who is gonna post about BEANS or NO BEANS and BLASPHEMY! Well, chili is what you make it and what you like. I use beans in mine, but I like a complex flavor profile, some crunch and some color. I have used this recipe 30yrs or more, it IS brand specific as the outcome is best with the brands listed, i.e. there isn't another stewed tomato on the market that tastes like Del Monte so if you want it to come out best, follow the recipe closely..

Doug's own Kick Butt Chili - smaller recipe

Ingredients:

2 1/2 to 3lbs very lean ground beef, preferrably 93/7 (note: you won't have to drain this when it is browned, keeps the flavor better too!)

1 large yellow onion (Vidalia onion preferred, if you can get them)

1 green bell pepper (red and orange add some NICE colors if you like!)

1/2 large celery heart

1/2 lb white mushrooms (portobellos are -nice- in this chili also)

1 24oz can red kidney beans drained and rinsed.

2 16oz cans chili beans (your choice here, can use black beans, chili flavored beans, etc, mix and match as you wish.) drained and rinsed.

1 16oz can Del Monte stewed tomatoes

1 16oz can Heinz tomato sauce

1/2 can tomato paste

1 12oz can corn (any kind, it just adds color and crunchy texture)

1 12oz beer of your choice (3 required, preferrably domestic American brand, one for chili, two for the cook! NOTE: Strong European or German beer may be too strong in flavor for this recipe, so don't use say a Guiness extra stout or a black and tan. Stick with something plain unless you -like- bitter chili)

1/4 cup Old El Paso jalapeno slices, with vinegar (1/8 for less spicy)

1 package Carroll Shelby's chili mix (discard the masa flour, use the seasoning package, cayenne pepper package, and the salt package)

1-2 cloves fresh chopped garlic (or 1 tablespoon minced garlic)

1 tablespoon sugar

Salt, pepper, tabasco sauce or tapatio hot sauce, to taste

1/8 to 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (use to your liking to brown beef and saute vegetables with
    )
    1 tablespoon butter (use along with some olive oil, to saute mushrooms with)

2oz dark chocolate (70% cacao or better)

Directions:

Start by browning the meat in a large deep skillet, in olive oil. Brown thoroughly, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Add salt, pepper, and garlic. Place entire contents of skillet in 8qt stockpot and turn heat on medium. (If you used ground meat with higher fat content, drain the meat in a collander before putting it in the pot)

Add beans, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, corn, and one beer.

Coarsely chop onion, saute until semiclear, add a bit of olive oil if you like, then add to pot.

Chop celery and bell pepper to your liking, medium-coarse is good. Saute these in olive oil, add to pot.

Coarsely slice mushrooms, or cut into cubes if you use portobellos. Saute these in a little olive oil and butter, add to pot.

Let chili come to a simmer, stirring often, but do NOT let it stick to the bottom of the pot, or get scorched.

Add the chili mix package, add salt, pepper, jalapeno slices and some of the jalapeno vinegar, add tabasco or tapatio sauce if you like, add the sugar. (If you can't find this Carroll Shelby mix in your grocery store, use chili powder and season to taste).

Once chili begins to simmer well over medium heat, add chocolate, turn heat lower, simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring often to prevent scorching on the bottom, and drink the other two beers during this cooking time.

Serve hot.

This makes a very hearty, rich, meaty chili that is great in cold weather, it warms the bones and sticks to the ribs, people love it.... Feeds about 6-10.
    My favorite way to enjoy this kick butt chili? I like it with a grilled cheese sandwich, and plenty of dill pickle slices on the side.
    There you have it!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-02-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

I looked up the word chili and its definition. About all the dictionary's say its a pepper not a bowl of something. The only one that did was https://www.freethesaurus.com/chili and its said a mix of peppers or chili powder, meat and beans.

Boolit Master

The actual name is chili con carne, chili with meat. And, you pretty much hit it on the head your second post back. Chili will last a whole lot longer, unrefrigerated than raw meat. A little chili with a big stack of corn tortillas will stretch a little meat for a lot of mouths.
    Last edited by gbrown; 11-05-2019 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123