Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter is coming; like to see some good chili recipes

Winter is coming; like to see some good chili recipes

Nothing fancy; just anyone’s best suggestion for good lean beef & bean chili. Thanks.

I've tried & made bunches of them.

But I keep coming back to Carol Shelby's mix/kit in the box at the grocery store and use double the meat.
    Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm chili kit from the grocery store is good too, but its not for the meek.

You being up there in the unexplored, Northern regions of Not Texas,,,,,
    we don't need to discuss the blasphemy involved of putting beans in chili.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I've tried & made bunches of them.

But I keep coming back to Carol Shelby's mix/kit in the box at the grocery store and use double the meat.
    Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm chili kit from the grocery store is good too, but its not for the meek.

You being up there in the unexplored, Northern regions of Not Texas,,,,,
    we don't need to discuss the blasphemy involved of putting beans in chili.
    +1 on Carol Shelby mix. Use full package of cayenne, add 6-8 jalapeños and mushrooms and corn. Use hot chili beans and kidneys. I like to make it with ground chuck and some chunky stew meat, well seared. Don’t forget a handful of garlic. Just before finishing, mix and add the masa with water. Gives good flavor and side with corn bread .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're putting more spicy things in Carol Shelby's kit,,,, give Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm chili a try.

Make it thick without the beans & such, grab some of the large diameter flour tortillas,
    toss on some shredded cheese, a bump of sour cream, chopped up onion, and roll up a burrito.
    I'll get started on them and can't hardly stop.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-19-2019 at 12:36 AM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

I've always gone for flavor over heat. If it burns how do you taste it. Hot is fine, burning is ridiculous.
    And where did all these foreign foods come from ?

Chili was fine in the pre-1980's.
    Simple Chili; just meat, tomatos, onions, chilis, spices and maybe some pinto beans.
    Then the blasted new yorkers started to invade Good Tex-Mex Cooking. kidney beans, mushrooms, corn. I mean, Haysus !!!

Anybody who would put kidney beans in Chili should be drug through Cactus by Wild Horses!

It's a simple food, not some culinary new york experiment !
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Made my first batch of the season last weekend when we had a cool front come through. I went a little heavy with the chili powder, but my touch will improve on the next batch or two. It warmed up pretty quick, so about a third of it went into the freezer. BTW, yes on the beans for me!

if you go to Mild Bill's web site, you can copy the recipes from the Terlingua chili cook-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

Below is my chili recipe, making the chili powder is complicated and involved and makes the process more drawn out but it really makes a huge difference, using store bought chili powder makes a great chili, the home made makes it incredible:

1TB Vinegar
    1TB Ground Cumin
    1/3-1/2 C Home made Chili powder (recipe below)
    ½ TB Salt
    1 Medium onion, finely chopped
    28 oz fine diced tomatos
    1 tsp Pepper
    10oz Chicken Stock
    2 beef bullion cubes
    2lbs coarse ground or diced beef, venison or your meat of choice
    1TB minced Garlic
    1tsp Oregano
    1TB Mesa flour
    1/2 cup water

2tsp Chipotle Chili Powder *
    1/2tsp Hot sauce*
    1/2tsp Cayenne Pepper*

In a large bowl combine beef, onions and garlic. in a Dutch oven or stockpot brown beef. Add all remaining ingredients except mesa and 1/2 cup water. Stir until well blended. Simmer covered for 2 hours stiring occasionally.

1/2 hour before time to eat combine mesa and 1/2 cup water and mix well, add to chili and stir. This is where you want to add beans if you want to use them.

Ingredients with a * after them should be left out for mild chili, all 3 of them will increase the spiciness, if you want it even spicier then increase the Cayenne pepper and hot sauce or change its type to a hotter one.

------------------------------
    Home made chili powder.

Ingredients

3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
    3 guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
    3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
    2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Directions
    Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Moderator Emeritus

Simple Texas Red

Chopped chuck roast or stew meat(chuck has more flavor) to the size of your little fingernail. Brown well in bacon fat.
    When the meat is browned add onion and cook until clear
    Add garlic and mild chili powder and cook a bit(until the chili powder smells fragrant, this releases the oils in it)
    Add beer to just cover the meat, if a full can isn't enough add some water too.
    Add beef Better than Bullion beef base to taste(salty so taste as you add)
    Simmer until the meat is almost tender then add hot chili powder to taste and simmer until the meat is done. You can add a little more of the hot right before it comes off the heat to give it a brighter flavor.
    You can thicken with masa flour slurry if you want, it adds a sweet flavor to the chili.

Serve over pinto beans if desired or eat as is. I prefer it as is with some cheddar and crackers, corn bread on the side...

It pains me to see some of these Yankee recipes where the word 'chili' is so abused and desecrated.

This thread reminded me of the first Mother in Law who was born & raised in Baltimore.
    We were up there one time and she made (what they referred to as) chili.

For those who want to make real, authentic Baltimore chili- I've reverse engineered the recipe.

1. Pour one jar of grocery store spaghetti sauce in a pan, followed by 3 of the same jars of water.
    2. Take one package of hot dogs, cut them in half, and put them in the pan also.
    3. Heat on the stove.

4. Stay close, so you can put 'the stink eye' on anyone that doesn't look like they just love it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-20-2019 at 11:48 AM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Buddy
    2-3 lbs ground meat browned/w onion if desired (elk or venison is my favorite)
    1 small package Williams chili seasoning
    2-3 cans dark red kidney beans
    2-3 cans light red kidney beans
    2-3 cans chili beans
    2-3 pints fire roasted tomatoes (usually no garden tomatoes this time of year)
    Brown sugar to taste
    1/4 cup yellow mustard
    Big can of V-8 juice if you desire (stretches it my mom always said)
    Simmer for a few hours then enjoy for a few days. Freeze what’s left if any and enjoy again.
    I add pickled jalapeños and cheese when serving

In Remembrance

I use a recipe that everyone complains about but there is never any leftovers and its simple.
    1 pound hamburger, whatever kind you want,
    1 28 ounce can Tomato Sauce, I like sauce because its thicker,
    1 15 ounce can of chili beans, whatever kind you want,
    1 packet of mild chili mix,
    a little cayenne powder to taste.

Brown the meat then drain the fat. Then add all the ingredients in a pot and heat it up.
    Sometimes we have it with grilled cheese sandwiches or corn bread and sometimes just saltine crackers.
    Did I mention its simple.

Boolit Grand Master

Gary's Chili
    2 lbs ground meat - beef or venison or elk
    3 - tab. bacon grease , lard or oil (to brown meat & onions in )
    1 - large chopped onion
    1 -bell pepper chopped(feel free to substitute any variety pepper)
    2 - Tab. dry dark roux ( wet roux can be used)
    1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce
    1 - 16 oz can stewed tomatoes w/ juice
    2 - cups + beef stock or water
    2-3 Tab. - Chili Powder ( TexJoy)
    2 tea. ground cumin
    4 - large cloves garlic , peeled (more if the cloves are small)
    2 - tea. Salt
    1- tea. black pepper
    1- tea. onion powder
    1 - tea. garlic powder
    1 - can Campbell's Beefy Mushroom Soup + rinse out can w/ water .(optional but good)
    2 Tab. Corn Flour dissolved with 1 cup water.

The controversy is over beans...if you want beans add 1-2 cans Trappey's Red Beans in chili gravy.

Brown meat . Cook onions and bell pepper w/ meat and oil .
    Stir dark roux into meat/ onion mix .
    Add all the remaining ingredients in order listed .
    Cook on low simmer 1 hour , stir often and add water/stock if needed .
    Taste the chili and adjust seasonings as it cooks , cumin and chili powder especially .

The roux and corn flour slurry add a flavor and body to the chili .
    The Beefy Mushroom Soup isn't conventional but it taste real good ...try it !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    PSA: Mushrooms in chili make it spaghetti sauce. No corn or macaroni either, fer cryin out loud.

Boolit Master
    My best recipes all start out with "Pour 3 ounces of alcohol into the cook" and then things tend to get fuzzy from that point.

GUN-SMOKIN' CHILI

This recipe is from James Arness aka Marshal Matt Dillion from the Gunsmoke TV series.

4 to 5 pounds lean beef or venision, rough ( chili ) ground or cubed
    Bacon grease, enough to cover the bottom of your chili cooking pot
    3 Tablespoons flour
    4 to 5 onions, chopped
    4 to 8 Tablespoons Gebhardt's chili powder ( good chili powder makes a difference)
    1-4 oz. can green chili peppers, chopped ( can substitute 1 large bell pepper, chopped)
    1-15 oz. can tomatoes, chopped
    2-15 oz. cans tomato sauce
    2 Tablespoons cumin
    2 Tablespoons coriander
    2 Tablespoons red pepper flakes ( if you like, start with 1 Tab. and add more later)
    2 fresh jalapeno peppers , chopped
    1/2 cup Pace hot picante sauce
    3 or 4 cups water
    6 large cloves garlic, whole peeled
    2 Tablespoons lime juice
    4 Tablespoons brown sugar
    1 Tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
    4 teaspoons Accent
    1/2 can of the beer you are drinking while cooking this chili (optional)

Brown the meat in a large Dutch oven in hot bacon grease. When no longer pink, add flour to meat and cook till the flour is a light brown, stirring often. Add all the remaining ingredients. Cook covered on low simmer at least 1 hour but 3 or four is better. Add more water as needed. Stir occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings near the end of cooking time. (Real chili doesn't have beans but if you like them, and I do, then add 2- 15oz. cans chili beans.)

Another tip is if you have time, let the pot cool off for 30 mins or so, then reheat before serving (or judging if you are in a chili competition). The chili will always be better the next day and it freezes well.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Tyler's Texas Chili Recipe

Ingredients:

Chili Seasoning
    3 dried ancho peppers, stemmed and seeded
    2 tablespoons dried oregano
    2 tablespoons sweet paprika - (I prefer Smoked Paprika but it is hotter)
    2 tablespoons whole coriander
    1 tablespoon cumin seed
    1 tablespoon chili powder

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 onions, chopped
    3 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    6 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 canned chipotle chile, chopped
    1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
    2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, hand crushed
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 tablespoons masa harina (corn meal)
    1/2 tablet Mexican chocolate (about 1 1/2 ounces)
    Grated queso fresco, for garnish (cheese)
    Cilantro leaves, for garnish
    Lime wedges, for garnish

In a small dry skillet over low heat add the ancho peppers, oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin, and chili powder. Cook until they begin to smell, about 2 minutes. Put the spices into a spice mill or food processor and grind until they are powdered. Set aside.

Heat a large heavy bottomed casserole over medium heat; add 3 tablespoons olive oil and the onions. Cook until the onions are soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Pat the beef dry and season it with salt and pepper. Add it to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until it has browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the toasted spice mix, the garlic, chipotle, jalapeno, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, and sugar. Season with salt and stir well. Add some hot water until the meat is just covered with liquid. Return to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the meat and shred it with a fork. Return it to the pot, stir in the masa harina and chocolate, and cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered, to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with the queso fresco, cilantro, and lime for garnish.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Homestead Chili

1TB Vinegar
    1TB Ground Cumin
    1/3-1/2 C Chili powder
    1TB Salt
    1 Medium onion, finely chopped
    28 oz fine diced tomatos
    1 tsp Pepper
    10oz Beer
    2 beef bullion cubes
    2lbs coarse ground or diced beef, venison or your meat of choice
    1TB minced Garlic
    1tsp Oregano
    1TB Mesa (Corn) flour
    1/2 cup water

2tsp Chipotle Chili Powder *
    1/2tsp Hot sauce*
    1/2tsp Cayenne Pepper*

In a large bowl combine beef, onions and garlic. In a Dutch oven or stockpot brown beef. Add all remaining ingredients except mesa and 1/2 cup water. Stir until well blended. Simmer covered for 2 hours stirring occasionally.

1/2 hour before time to eat combine mesa and 1/2 cup water and mix well, add to chili and stir. This is where you want to add beans if you want to use them.

Ingredients with a * after them should be left out for mild chili, all 3 of them will increase the spiciness, if you want it even spicier then increase the Cayenne pepper and hot sauce or change its type to a hotter one.

All y'all are makin' me hungry.

My momma used to make a mean green chile with pork. Fantastic stuff.

Get some pork roast and dice it up. You can use ground pork if you can find it. Either way, about four or six pounds outta do it.

Brown it all in a cast iron skillet on the stove along with some garlic and onions. Use a little olive oil if you like but it should produce enough grease to keep things lubed up. Add a bit of cumin or some such but don't overdo it. Add some salt and pepper.

When it's all browned and cooked thoroughly, taste test. It should be tasty but not too spiced. Just a simple flavor is all you want.

Dump it all into a crockpot with some chopped New Mexico Hatch green chiles. I use two or three cups worth. Crush a can of whole stewed tomatoes in there with it and pour the juice from the can in there with it. That should provide plenty of liquid.

Put the crock on high and let it roll for about an hour and then taste test again. If the meat isn't tender yet (it likely won't be), let it roll for another couple of hours. Taste test as you go.

If you have any left with all of your taste testing! you'll be have a nice, thick, green chile that is truly tasty!

Now I gotta go find a pork roast...........

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

note: masa harina ain't corn meal!

And, there is no controversy concerning beans ... there is just the wrong way and the proper way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast