Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Time for a PID

Time for a PID

Don’t know if it’s because the temperature has dropped off outside or what, but I burned a batch of bullets tonight powder coating them. Everything was set just like normal but when I went to get them out the powdercoat was too dark and the bases had deformed a bit. So now I need to get my PID hooked up for my pot and a separate probe for my oven. Hope someone can learn from my mistakes

Banned
    The inside temperature of your oven will change when the outside temperature changes due to the location and type of thermostat your oven uses

I procrastinated putting a PID on my oven --- I could kick myself for waiting. It's reassuring knowing that the oven temp will no longer vary.

Hooked up my PID and placed it in my oven at the setting I was using, WOW instead of the oven controller reading of 350 it went to 570+ before it would cycle off. The thermostat in the toaster oven appears to be toast. Regardless I now have my PID up and running.

ADMIN

I use a PID on anything that the temp has to be regulated (well except my brand new coating oven)
    My lube sizer heater is on a PID.
    My Master Caster pot is on a PID.
    My hardly ever used Lee 4-20 is on a PID.

Just remember with PID controllers, sometimes the cheapest isn't the best option.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...&products_id=3
    https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...&products_id=9
    https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=101

Thats a basic starter setup using quality parts.

Casting boolits or coating boolits isn't rocket science but if you can take one of the variables (temperature) out of the equation then you will be a head of the game.
    If you have any problems getting your PID together just post on the board or heck send me a PM. I will help you even if you didn't buy your PID from me.

Boolit Bub
    Hi, I have a Lee 20lb pot and I am sick of always having to adjust temp. Are the PIDs easy to install?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, I just installed mine in the middle of a short extension cord so I can just swap probes and control my pot or oven. There are some YouTube videos or Hatch could definitely answer any questions.

Boolit Buddy
    Wire it into the heater element so that the fans not switching on and off. Apparently that's bad for them.

That's all the wisdom I have.