Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple pickled eggs

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Simple pickled eggs

https://imgur.com/a/jNYJulJ

Made two quarts of pickled eggs about two weeks ago . Just used my easy 'go to' recipe in the making . I started to take pictures but heck it's so easy you don't need pictures .

A quart jar will usually hold 12 large eggs or ten extra large . Clean pickle jars (glass) work just fine also .

1 level tablespoon of black peppercorns
    Two small or one large bay leaf
    1 tablespoon of kosher salt
    1 teaspoon of pickling spice
    1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper , or more if you want
    White vinegar

Warm half cup of vinegar to dissolve your salt , doesn't even have to boil . Put all the other ingredients in the jar dry . Pack your eggs in , pour in the half cup of salt and vinegar then fill the jar with vinegar being sure to cover the eggs . Turn the jar up and down to get the salt mixed with all the vinegar and put in the icebox . I usually rotate the jar top to bottom a few times the next few days but it's probably totally unnecessary .

They are ready to eat in fifteen days . It's easy and eggs are cheap . They had eggs on sale for $1.59 on a two dozen carton when I made these .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

I love pickled eggs!!

I have made them a number of times but mine are never as good as ones from others i have tried. My eggs are from our own hens and with the nearly glowing yokes make superior everything else. I fear I do something wrong...
    At least my wife's Quiche is outstanding!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Looks good.
    We used to do a recipe similar to that and put in a can of whole beets, liquid from the can & all.

And, you could use the solution 2-3 times by just putting in more hard boiled eggs.

A word of caution if you're not single:
    Don't eat 5-6 of them along with a few beers.
    You might find yourself sleeping out in the yard.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-17-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Apparently adding beets to pickled eggs is common in England and they are often found in pubs ...

Pickled Eggs & Beets

Ingredients:

1 (15 ounce) can red beets
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    ½ cup white vinegar
    ½ cup cold water
    ½ teaspoon salt
    4 whole cloves garlic ( I use minced garlic)
    1 small cinnamon stick
    6 hard cooked eggs

Directions:

1) Pour the beet juice into a medium sized pot. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, water, salt, cloves and the cinnamon stick. Place the pot over a medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2) Place the beets into the liquid mixture and let it cook for an additional 2 minutes to allow the beets to heat.

3) Place the hard cooked eggs ( shells removed) in a container with a tight fitting lid. Pour the liquid and beets into the container with the eggs. Store the container in the refrigerator for approximately 5 days before eating.

Additional notes: Since I started using this recipe, I’ve added one medium sized onion to the mix and heat it up with the beets. I’ve also added two additional eggs to the count. My container of choice is the standard sized Vlasic pickle jar. After I’ve added all the items listed above into the jar, I allow it to cool before sending it to the refrigerator.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

How to Make Pickled Eggs

The container used for the eggs should be one that can be closed or sealed tightly; glass canning jars work well. The eggs are to be completely covered with the pickling solution during storage. A quart-size canning jar will hold about one dozen medium sized eggs.
    After making the eggs, the eggs require some time to season (i.e., pick up the flavors from the pickling brine). Keep them refrigerated at all times. If small eggs are used, 1 to 2 weeks are usually allowed for seasoning to occur. Medium or large eggs may require 2 to 4 weeks to become well seasoned. Use the eggs within 3 to 4 months for best quality.

Pickled Egg Recipes

Each of these recipes uses 12 peeled, hard-cooked eggs. The directions for each recipe below is to:
    1. Bring all the ingredients, except the eggs, to a boil,
    2. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
    3. Pack no more than one dozen peeled, hard-cooked eggs loosely into a warm, pre-sanitized quart jar (or other similar size container which can be closed tightly).
    4. There needs to be plenty of pickling solution, and enough to completely cover the eggs. Pour the hot pickling solution over the eggs in the jar, cover, and
    5. Refrigerate immediately.

RED BEET EGGS

1 cup red beet juice (from canned beets)
    1½ cups cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon brown sugar
    a few canned whole tiny red beets (or several slices of beets can be used)

SWEET AND SOUR EGGS

1½ cups pasteurized apple cider
    ½ cup cider vinegar
    1 package (about 12 oz.) red cinnamon candy
    1 tablespoon mixed pickling spice
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

The BEST Spicy Pickled EGGS!

I must begin with a fair warning. These can be addictive! So I take no responsibility for the pickled egg-eating habits that may develop once you have tried these delicious eggs. You have been warned. Please eat responsibly!

Step 1: Hard Boil Your Eggs

The first step is to hard boil 8 eggs:

The best method I've found is to place them in a pan of cool water and then place them on the stove. Turn the stove on high. Add a few pinches of salt to the water. When the water reaches a boil, cover the pan, and remove from the heat for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes pour out the hot water and replace with very cold water and some ice cubes. Carefully crack and peel the eggs and set them aside for now.

Step 2: Prepare Your Broth:

Okay, here are your ingredients. Combine these in a saucepan:

1) 2 Cups of White Vinegar
    2) 1/2 Cup of Water
    3) 1/2 Cup of White Sugar
    4) 1 teaspoonful of salt
    5) 1 teaspoonful pickling spice
    6) 1 teaspoonful red pepper flakes
    7) 4-5 cloves
    8) 1 Cinnamon Stick
    9) 2-3 Habanero Peppers (orange color) cut into rings (discard stems). Include the seeds as well. BEWARE: the oils from the surface of these can really burn. I usually use the grocery bag they come in to hold them while slicing and cleaning. Wash your hands with soap and water after handling them.
    10) 2-3 Green Jalapeno Peppers cut into slices
    11) 1/2 Red Pepper cut into strips
    12) A few rings of a freshly cut White and Red Onion

Allow all ingredients to simmer on the stove for at least 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally while simmering.

Step 3: Combine Eggs and Broth

We are almost done. Now, remove the broth from the heat and scoop some of the peppers/onions into a Quart sized Mason jar. Add 3 eggs. Scoop some more of the peppers/onions/spices into the jar. Add 3 more eggs. Continue to add the peppers/onions/spices and eggs. When done, pour the remaining broth into the Mason jar, using a funnel if you like, to within a quarter inch of the top. You may have some leftover broth, depending on the size of the eggs and peppers, etc. If you are short on broth, just top off with white vinegar.

Hand tighten a lid and ring on the Mason jar and let it cool. Then place it in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. This is a long time to wait, but the benefits are worth it!!

Eat and Enjoy!

And of course there is pickled Sausage too!

Pickled sausage

Found some 'good deal' smoked sausage in the bargain bin. Made sausage and homemade sauerkraut with some and pickled the rest. Simple to make …

1 teaspoon on crushed red pepper flakes
    2 med garlic cloves cut in half
    1 teaspoon of black peppercorns
    2 small bay leaves
    1 1/2 Tablespoon of kosher or sea salt

Bring to a boil

These are the basic ingredients. You can always add some pickling spices, red or white onion, garlic, or any combination of peppers, etc .

Cook sausage in the oven
    Place in jar hot
    Pour hot pickle liquid in to cover the sausage
    Let cool on the counter
    Seal with a lid and put in the refrigerator for at least a week although at least 2 weeks is better.

HAWK'S BAR ROOM PICKLED EGGS & SAUSAGE

2 cups white vinegar
    1 cup water
    3 tablespoons pickling spice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
    6 to 7 squirts Frank's Red Hot Sauce (optional for color or you can use beet juice)
    1 tablespoon crushed garlic or powder
    1 tablespoon dried onion

Hard boil 18 eggs and boil 3 packages Polish sausage until they float. Arrange eggs and sausage in layers, pack to top. Take care not to split eggs. Combine all other ingredients in a medium sauce pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
    While still hot, carefully pour brine until full. Put lid on tight shake to mix for 3 days and enjoy!

Boolit Master

When we finish a jar of store bought Dill Pickles I recycle the pickle juice. Slice a Jalapeno in half throw that in first then pack as many peeled hard boiled eggs as will fit in the jar. Juice should completely fill the jar after eggs are packed in. I screw on the lid and try let them sit for 10 days. Allot of flavor for the work invested.
    Last edited by Loudenboomer; 10-18-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

If you are really challenged, use up a jar of pickles without tossing the liquid. Add boiled eggs and a couple of garlic cloves. Wait two or three weeks.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I have used white and red wine vinegar. Really tasty. But my favorite is basalmic vinegar. It is very strong so dilute it 50%.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

We keep a pen of coturnix quail and every so often they lay more than we can keep up with. Then it is pickled quail egg time. Boil 7 dozen quail eggs and soak overnight in white vinegar. The shells dissolve and all you have to do is peel off the membranes. In each pint jar pack in a couple cloves of garlic, some peppercorns, a few green cardamom cloves, a bay leaf or two, a couple dried red peppers and whatever other seasonings appeal to you. Boil up a brine composed of 24 oz. of malt vinegar, 2 cans of dark beer, a couple tablespoons of honey, and a teaspoon of salt. Pour over eggs, seal the jars and refrigerate for a few weeks.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    I have used white and red wine vinegar. Really tasty. But my favorite is basalmic vinegar. It is very strong so dilute it 50%.
    I use the balsamic with mine too. They come out looking like chocolate eggs, or really huge calamata olives.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master

LOVE THE IDEA OF THE LIL EGGS!!
    Banny hens or maybe quail would be like pop’em snaks!!

CW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    And of course there is pickled Sausage too!

Pickled sausage

Found some 'good deal' smoked sausage in the bargain bin. Made sausage and homemade sauerkraut with some and pickled the rest. Simple to make …

1 teaspoon on crushed red pepper flakes
    2 med garlic cloves cut in half
    1 teaspoon of black peppercorns
    2 small bay leaves
    1 1/2 Tablespoon of kosher or sea salt

Bring to a boil

These are the basic ingredients. You can always add some pickling spices, red or white onion, garlic, or any combination of peppers, etc .

Cook sausage in the oven
    Place in jar hot
    Pour hot pickle liquid in to cover the sausage
    Let cool on the counter
    Seal with a lid and put in the refrigerator for at least a week although at least 2 weeks is better.
    OMG. Im doing this this weekend!!! Deer camp is November 13- and pickled eggs and sausage aughta Fumigate that camp!!!

CW

Boolit Master
    I liked Penrose sausage but for some reason they quit making them. I would eat about half the sausages and fill the jar with boiled eggs. Haven't made any pickled eggs in a while, might just cure that.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    When I was Re-enacting Rev War one of our unit members used to bring pickled "Black Eggs" yes he used Balsamic Vinegar and GOD know what else! It was one of our "founding father's" recipes....all I know you could exceed an old man's cholesterol limit with in 5 minutes! They were that good!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    LOVE THE IDEA OF THE LIL EGGS!!
    Banny hens or maybe quail would be like pop’em snaks!!

CW
    Heh, on occasion I use a pickled quail egg as a garnish in my martini instead of an olive or pickled onion.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Looks good.
    We used to do a recipe similar to that and put in a can of whole beets, liquid from the can & all.

And, you could use the solution 2-3 times by just putting in more hard boiled eggs.

Great advice.
    But they are good eating for sure.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Looks good.

Know what you mean. 1963, schools battalion, MCRD. We had two students that went out a couple nights a week to a bar that served hard boiled eggs. They would clear the classroom the next day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast