MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firing pin marks on cylinder?

I don't like the long barreled ones as much as the short barreled ones. I like the look of a 4" or shorter half underlug for double actions. For single actions I like them all but think longer ones look better, but the single six and super blackhawk both have 4 5/8 barrels for packing ease.

Boolit Buddy
    “gave the Ruger back and grabbed this S&W 17-6 instead“

Good decision.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    “gave the Ruger back and grabbed this S&W 17-6 instead“

Good decision.
    Looks like that yes.

That from the bench or off hand or field position?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    That from the bench or off hand or field position?
    Standing,two hand grip,25 meters. No bench/bags grouping yet,it was raining and I had too much coffee.

I have some nice accuracy work to do from bags. I want to do it outside in the open for light,not under a roof. We have a good bench at our hunting club's cottage range.

Now offhand, Lapua ,SK and surprisingly the fast, plated CCI Velocitor are looking good.

You're a keen shot.

Boolit Master
    You're a keen shot.
    Thanks,this revolver is very accurate and fits me well. Very easy,relaxed shooting. I'm in good mood because I like accurate guns,that in turn makes me shoot better...

I have been shooting a 4" S&W500 quite a bit lately,no other revolvers. At 50 meters I can usually hit four out of five clays with it. A 305 grain NOE HP @ 1600 fps.

So we can say,practising with a 500 is good for one's 22LR shooting.

Drm50, what barrel length do you prefer?
    My original K22 has 6" barrel. Then I started buying the Centerfires. First was 29-2 in 4". I didn't like it and started buying them all in 83/8" if avaible. They all shot excellent but picking up some used S&Ws in 6"-6.5" I found that I could shoot them as well. The 6" isn't that much heavier or harder to carry than a 4". So in 70s I standardized on the 6-6.5" barrels. I still have one of each in 83/8" but don't go out of my way to get them.
    Mine are carried in woods so I'm not worried about 2" more barrel. The 6" guns are probably easier for most to shot well. Balance and sight radius are perfect for me. This isn't to say 4" guns don't shoot as well, they will. I have proved it of rests. I just got rid of 2 m34 snubbies today at a show. I could hit Jack over 25' offhand, put them on a rest and they shot with the 34 in 4". So barrel length may just be personal choice. I'll stick with 6".

I had a 6.5 barreled blackhawk and I liked it better. But I ended up with shorter ones. The short barrel super blackhawk I have now, I bought not for the short barrel, but because I like the smaller grip frame. I had a single six with 5.5 inch barrel and I thought it to be perfect for balance.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't a longer barrel help with aging eyes? I think/feel that I can see an 8 3/8" front sight better than a 4". I use +1 glasses for reading.

This revolver is very,very tight,like one solid piece. And only one minor,hard to see scratch.

I'm very happy about finding this without actually looking for...

It is a very a vice example and appears, very nice shooting.

Boolit Master
    No, buy Rugers! (Leave the Smiths for me!)

I prefer DA revolvers but seriously, I like SA’s as well. I also like Rugers of either persuasion.

My K22 is in 6” form, and it’s a 1954 vintage. The gun is loose as a goose but shoots like sin!

VIVA Smith & Wesson!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Super Moderator

I have an old 3 screw Single Six convertible, and it wouldn't group all that well with most of the 22LR ammo I tried in it. On a whim, I bought some Aguila 22 Pistol Match at Sportsman's Warehouse. What an eye opener that was! Mediocre groups went to tight clusters. It'll shoot all right, with the ammo it likes. Some 22's can be finicky, just glad I was able to find some ammo that my gun really likes.

Boolit Grand Master

The Ruger Single Six convertibles have .224" bore for the 22 Mag. The bore for standard 22LR is .222" Through the years I have had three. None shot 22LR as well as they shot 22 Mag.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Made it to the bench today.

Lapua Center-X is good,repeatable 3/4" groups @ 25 meters. Real mechanical accuracy may be much better, I need much more practise to eliminate myself. Can I say that "to eliminate myself"? Sounds sort of scary.

I rest my wrists on the pillow,not the gun butt.

Wow. Very nice, thanks for the report.

I was shooting the single six the other day, and got about 1 3/4" offhand at 15 yards. Using Aguila ammo and not trying particularly hard I was happy enough. I've not shot this one from the bench yet or tested many different types of ammo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12