Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firing pin marks on cylinder?

Boolit Master

Firing pin marks on cylinder?

Hello. What do you see here?

I got this 2003 Ruger Single Six today,can those marks be from dry firing...? They are all over the place,timing-wise.

I only fired a dozen test rounds,it was getting dark. Function was normal. Saw these marks later at home.

I wonder what's up. Thanks for looking!

It looks like it except id expect it to be between all the chambers and not in such orderly rows. I will venture them to be machining marks. One with a lathe could probably cut a groove to remove it easily. I believe some single sixes came with a groove there but mine is just recessed like yours.

At one time or another Ruger RF revolvers had either a firing pin recess around the rear face, or not.

If you contact their customer service,Ruger would most likely make it right, but might need the entire revolver to fit a new cylinder - but IDK how problematic it would be for you to do so.

I also don't know if Ruger has a European repair facility that you might be able to use...………….

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

How's your firing pin look?

Boolit Grand Master

Even more odd is the arc or radius appears to be flatter than the radius of the machining marks???
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Timing is waaaay off. Hammer falling without cylinder being locked? Darn kids playing with daddy's pistol.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master

Fanning?
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Those can happen if the hammer is allowed to fall when the cylinder is not indexed correctly. It happens after reloads. Done long enough it will damage the firing pin.

Also the peened areas around the case head area may make extraction a bit more difficult.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Fanning?
    I believe this is correct

Boolit Master

+1 fanning
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

If it was from fanning, why is there 8-10 dimples in rows between 3 chambers, with only a dimple on the edges of the other chambers? That don't make no sense. I would expect there to be multiple dimples between all chambers.

Maybe the pawl or pawl spring broke and they were cocking it trying to get it fire not realizing the cylinder wasn't rotating.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 10-16-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Somehow, somewhere, someone was “ ate up with a case of the *******”.
    If it works; don’t fix it. But an explanation eludes me.
    When I get sloppy shooting my bigger handguns, out comes the Single Six for “group therapy”.
    Last edited by Minerat; 10-17-2019 at 11:07 PM. Reason: language

The bright side is that it is a hidden flaw that also won't show up on paper.

Boolit Buddy
    A Menck “chamber iron” will fix the peened area where it interferes with the cartridge rim seating. I understand that you want to repair that damage by displacing the metal, not grinding it away.

Here’s a picture:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007111192

Midway doesn’t sell them any more, but I bought a new one from Menck through Ebay recently.

I've seen this often, mostly on Colt 22 SA clones. It's from fanning. Mothers don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys. I have seen DA 22s out of time strike web as well as SAs but it is usually confined around chamber not around the whole cylinder. I bought chamber tool years ago from Brownells. I have used it more on old single shot 22s than revolvers.

Boolit Master
    Thanks a bunch,eveyone.

I took the gun for testing,it worked normally and certain ammo showed accuracy potential,too. But I ended up driving back to the shop. I gave the Ruger back and grabbed this S&W 17-6 instead. I used to have a 617 so this I'm familiar with. Testing ammo with cards @ 25 meters. No rest group tests yet.

Might get back to Single Six some other time,I just need an accurate 22 revolver right now. Accuracy being subjective but I like to hit clays at 50-75 meters.

That's good shooting. Nice Smith. Wifey wants one of those 617s in ten shot. She is partial to her 686 though.

I have a few 17s and a 18. I have one I got new in 1964. It has some blue wear and minor dings but after thousands of rounds fired and years of living in a leather holster it is still a tack driver. I also have a Ruger S-6 that I got new same year. Very fine SA but it's not a K22. I've had two 617, 10shooters both 4". I don't like SS guns so I traded them off. I did shoot them both and would say they equal the K22 when I shot off rest. Not to slight them, I just not use to 4" guns. I only own 3 and don't shoot them that much. 34-29-18. In fact the 29-2 4" is NIB.

Drm50, what barrel length do you prefer?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I have a few 17s and a 18. I have one I got new in 1964.
    I was learning to walk at that time.

8 3/8" feels very good right now,I'm getting back into revolvers... most probably because of Hi Tek bullet coating. Coating got me back to casting and throwing big boolits around,like 500,475,45-70,... 22"s are essential then.

Might even grab a 586, there's a beautiful 8 3/8 ... long time no 357. Funny how these preference things go,I really really like shooting revolvers again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast