Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck problums

Boolit Master

Truck problums

I have a 1995 f 350

Ever sence I had the truck it has been hard to start in cool wether ( I changed glow plugs no help relay is working ) it has been hard shifting I have to feather the throtel when it shifts to keep from jarring the truck some days are really bad

Every once in a wile I run higher rpm then normal last night heading home truck would just die I could wate a few Minuits it would crank back and run maby a few miles maby just a few yards ( it was raining last night ? )

I pulled the pcm it was dusty on the pins but dry no sings of corrosion no burnt smell

Last night when it wouldn't crank the wait to start light would not come on and the cig lighter wouldn't work when it would crank I had the lighter and the wait to start light

The inside of the fire wall is wet but again the inside of the pcm is dry
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Grand Master
    sounds like you need to update
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

two things, first when did you last change the fuel filters, and second does the lift pump run when you turn the key on. you could have gotten some water in the fuel.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Moderator Emeritus

The first thing I would look at, bion, is a fuel problem. I'd think it might be worth just a very few dollars for any of good over the counter fuel "fixers" at your local auto parts store. Second, definitely might be the fuel filters. I had similar problems as yours, and a (good!) diesel mechanic gifted me a bottle of fuel conditioner, advising I dump in whole bottle -- more than twice recommended amount -- which I did. Motor then ran good enough to get to garage... filter replacement then made it run alllmost like new. Filter replacement took the bulk of $70.00, and I replaced the fuel fixer -- another $15.00. Since, too, I've also been using cetane enhancer -- in my area it's hard to find cetane higher than 40 -- and most diesel engines (ASTM D975) perform best with a minimum of 42. I use an Amsoil enhancer -- which seems to do its job quite nicely, increasing roughly three points.
    Good luck!
    geo

2ND rancher 1913

Boolit Master
    Things 7.3L Powerstrokes are known for and things to check.

Cam sensors, they can cause all kinds of problems, lot of guys carry a spare, I kept one in the glove box. Might be worth tossing one on.

Check your wire harness connectors on the valve cover gaskets. Very common to have burnt pins especially the inside connections.

IDM module, Hpop, Hpop regulator. If you can have someone put a decent scanner on it, check the low and high oil pressures. The injection is operated off high pressure oil by a second pump. Sometimes the regulator for this is faulty. My SnapOn scanner can run an IDM self test, maybe others can? Is so you should hear it pulse each injector and they should sound reasonable uniform and strong and all 8 of them. If not you may have a bad injector driver module or injectors. Check your fuel filters and such of course. Mske sure theres no water in the filter bowl.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Thanks I'll try that it is time to change fuel filter.

This just seams electrical . The truck runs good when it runs no misses injectors seam to all be hiting then boom nothing. and the wait to start light if it lights up it will crank if it don't it won't ???
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

there is like 3 different relays in the glow plug circuit, you could change those but I dont think that circuit would cause a failure to start, the glow plug circuit has been bad in my 7.3 for 10 years and it stil starts fine in warm weather. I would lean toward the filters or a gasket leak allowing air into the system

Boolit Master
    Yes sir I'll change filters today . The wait to start light only comes into play becuse of the pcm

My thinking is when the light works the pcm is working when the light isn't ether the pcm isn't geting power or it's not working

And I can't seam to find a way to test it

<(*)(()><

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    After realizing my old pickup had more miles on the back of a tow truck than actually being driven over the past two years, I replaced it. It had cost me several thousand in repairs for a 32 year old pickup worth maybe $800. May be time to update if possible.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Those old 7.3L Powerstrokes are really good engines and generally very reliable. It will be hard to replace without buying a new 6.7 Stroke or something entirely different. I would completely avoid the 6.0L and the 6.4L, would not even consider those. I love the old IDI Fords that precede the Stroke and the 7.3L PS. I like Ford stuff generally but im more a GM guy and partial to the Duramax. I have an 03' Dmax that replaced my 95' Stroke when it got totaled. The Cummins series of engines are pretty darn good with a few exceptions. I just don't care for the wrapper they come in. You have options for 3/4 and 1 ton diesels if you go that way. Do your research!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

I’d check the oil they don’t start if there a low as far as cold weather mine was doing that last year and they replaced the glow plug module and it starts first time every time. As long as I keep oil in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Banned

sounds to me like you have a major vacuum leak.

Boolit Master
    I hooked up the glow plugs to a switch, made it manual. Hold the switch for 10 seconds before starting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    sounds to me like you have a major vacuum leak.
    Diesels are not subject to vacuum leaks as there is no throttle as in spark ignition engines. You can pull the intake manifold(s) completely off, bare intake ports of the cylinder head, and fire it up. It will be loud and not as efficient nor would the turbo be doing anything for it but it will run just fine like that. Diesels are throttled by the quantity of fuel injected and intake air is unregulated.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Ugggg I hate electrical ! I got home yesterday around two fired up the truck it ran for around two hr.... ( number one and two relay very warm ? )

Today I started it up drove around the yard drove nrxt door drove around his yard killed it... stared it back up... It's been runing for the last five hr ???

<(*)(()><

Boolit Bub
    Have you checked the oil level? Low engine oil in the 7.3 can cause these symptoms. The hpop starves when under higher rpm and cannot tell the injectors what to do.

Mark

Boolit Master
    Yes oil is good
    Still haven't changed fuel filter but it's runing fine when it runs lol

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

might have worked the water thru and now its ok, I would still change the fuel filter(s)

Boolit Bub

Have you checked the wiring in the valve cover gaskets? I had the same symptoms on mine and that was one of the problems. The wiring for the injectors and how plugs goes through the valve cover gaskets, it's easy to have a short that will make it stumble or die completely. The other thing is the CPS, Cam Position Sensor will make it do odd stuff. They're cheap, easy to swap (one bolt) and if you haven't done it yet you should.
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast