Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trial size powders...

In Remembrance

Trial size powders...

The Powder Container thread got me thinking,
    Who remembers when, going by my memory, Dupont/IMR sold what I believe to be 1 ounce bottles of powder to try without buying a whole pound. Or, do you think this was something that dealer did on his own because I can't find anything on the net about them.
    I remember these as small brown bottles with screw on lids similar to Aspirin bottles, there was a shop I used to go to that had a glass display case on the counter that had several rows of the trial size powders.
    I never bought any because at that time I knew I wanted 4064 for the only round I reloaded.

Boolit Grand Master
    Never heard of that, but it sounds like a great idea.
    With the price of powders, it would probably help them sell more powders.

Hodgdon did that, I bought several bottles of RETUMBO and H1000 to try out from Fin, Feather and Fur at their Ashland, Ohio store. I don't think it went over well, since the costs associated with getting the smaller containers, SKU's, etc. probably gave the bean counters fits.

Around the Hubbard, Ohio, Hermitage, PA, Mercer, PA and Leavittsburg, OH areas were a few reloading stores the would pour out whatever powder you wanted to try out in a smaller amount.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Local gun shop here in Southcentral Pennsylvania used to sell small bottles of various gunpowders. Don't remember what they were but I tried a few of those when I first started reloading about 40 years ago.
    The shop is still in business but no longer sells reloading equipment or components since they started catering to the tactical cool crowd and mall ninjas.
    They don't even sell hunting licenses any longer.
    Nice shop with a great indoor range but if you don't shoot an AR or a Glock it's hard to find a reason to go there. They rarely even have any guns on the used gun rack anymore.
    Most of there ammunition shelves are now relegated to AR caliber rounds and 9mm pistol ammunition. Rarely even have much hunting rifle ammuntion on the shelves. I have pretty much stopped shopping there...probably haven't been there in a year.

IIRC they also offer a 4 small bottle sample pack that would contain 4 common powders for rifle calibers.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    For folks that it would work for it sounds like a good idea , however it would not help me much because most of my testing involves more powder than that.

If I am wringing out a rifle and it is giving me trouble a pound will get burnt just testing different combos. If the powder turns out be a winner, I want more of the same lot number so I will not be sucking wind and searching for another pound of the same and can not find it.

I usually buy two or three pounds at a time.

In a very small case things change but I have several different cartridges I load for that are small capacity and there I find somewhere that a powder that is a “square peg” so to speak still fills in a round hole one way or the other.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned
    That would be the greatest thing for me. Experimenting with loads for rimfire, I could sorely use an ounce of about 10 different kinds of powder for load development... been thinking about trying to find some local reloaders who would sell me something like that. Restrictions on shipping gunpowder sure has curtailed a lot of stuff.
    I so hate restrictions.

Boolit Master
    Great idea for reloaders but it’d be a PITA for manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors, and retailers...

I wonder if someone like Powder Valley or the other large retailers could do some ting with the idea.

Boolit Grand Master

Fir a few years AA gave out 1/4lb samples of powders suitable for 308,223, and some others during the nationals for competitors to test. The one I remember was AA2520

Boolit Grand Master

A one pound container for rifle cartridges is about the right size trial for me. By the time I do load development, fine tune and confirm; that pound is gone.

We had a place here in Denver called Wards Shootin Shop, they sold shotgun powders out of large barrels by the pound like ya bought beans. You ask for 3 pound red dot and they weight it on a balance scale and double bag it in paper lunch bags. They would sell you a cup too. I'ed go in there and buy a dollars worth back in the early 70's because I didn't have $3.00 for a whole pound.

Boolit Master
    When Hodgdons released Traiboss they gave out small trial bottles at the World championships. I never saw any of those bottles for sale anywhere.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

I've seen the four pack that IMR sales folks gave out at one time and the Winchester samples from trap shoots.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    We had a place here in Denver called Wards Shootin Shop, they sold shotgun powders out of large barrels by the pound like ya bought beans. You ask for 3 pound red dot and they weight it on a balance scale and double bag it in paper lunch bags. They would sell you a cup too. I'ed go in there and buy a dollars worth back in the early 70's because I didn't have $3.00 for a whole pound.
    Now that would be my kind of store!!!

Boolit Grand Master

The one local shop years ago had surplus 4895 and 4831 in kegs that was sold by the pound also. this was way back. Lunch bags were supplied or you could bring in your own container. Owner bought surplus and sold as customers desired. Scope and scales sat between the 2 drums.

Boolit Master
    I remember buying 700x in a paper lunch sack...1/2 pound poured from a keg at a local gun shop. I don't remember the sample size bottles of powder.

Bout 5 years ago, I was at a semi local store and they would sell you a 1/4 pound for testing. They were also splitting up 8 pound jugs into 1 pound containers during the drought. I ain't been back because they are about 100 miles off in a direction I don't get very often.

Boolit Grand Master
    With the way younger people think these days, i don't think any shop would sell out of the factory bottle.
    It would be good to get a small amount, to just try.
    Lots of new powder out these days.

I guess I'm the odd duck. Being young, and fairly new to loading, I ain't got no interest in the new powders. My interest is more in those old faithful powders.

All the still existing "old" powders still work. Some have been and more will be, reformulated for less toxic wastes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast