Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: NOE Himmelwright 44 Boolit

NOE Himmelwright 44 Boolit

Hi,
    Anyone have any experience with the NOE 44 cal Himmelwright molds? I see they have a few weight options in the 150 to 200 to 237 gr range, as well as .432" amd .434" options. (I'll pass on the gascheck, thought!).
    Accuracy comments, especially at longer (50yds or more) range?
    Or is it just a gallery type bullet?

Thanks for the help!

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Here's some readin for ya--http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell-Himmelwright-Wadcutters.htm

edit- Hmm, i guess you'll have to copy n paste. It's good reading anyways.

Boolit Buddy

I shot a 175gr. Version (Matt’s bullets) at 25 yards and found accuracy to be similar to my RNFP loads. Nothing remarkable either way. We’re talking a 1 gun, 1 range visit sample, hardly exhaustive.

Boolit Buddy

Hudson not Himmelwright

That pointy NOE bullet is closer to the Hudson designed Lyman 429303 than to the Himmelwright designed Lyman 429220. Here's a picture from the 1958 Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullets showing the real Himmelwright bullet on the left and the Hudson bullet on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	himmelwrite_hudson.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	250236

In his write-up in the Lyman handbook, Hudson touted his bullet as the "Hi-Velo-Pen" for high velocity and penetration. He had H.P. White Labs work up a fierce load of 2400 for the .44 Magnum. That load would poke holes through 3/16" steel plate that the factory .44 Mag load only dented. There's also a picture of a ragged one-hole six shot group fired at 25 yards with a light target load.

On the other hand, I doubt many 50 yard pistol matches were ever won with that bullet and unless the charging grizzly is pushing a steel plate in front of him, I'd prefer a 250 grain hard-cast Keith SWC over the pointy bullet.

That having been said, I'm interested in the pointy Hudson bullet, not as a high velocity penetrator but as a low-velocity tumbler. I've fired a dozen of the Lyman 429303 bullets into ballistic gelatin from a friend's Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog. At about 675 f/s, they have all done a 180 degree flip and stopped base-forward after about 15" of penetration.

BTW, that's Carl F. Hudson, not Dr. Hudson of 200 yard off-hand fame.
    Last edited by pettypace; 10-28-2019 at 05:44 PM.