Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starline hope

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Fish4bugs
    I have been on the lookout for 25/20 since I bought a 92 Win in 25/20 several years ago. I have managed to get 5 or 6 hundred but they seem to have completely dried up in the last couple of years. I would get another 500 if Starline would make a run. It's about the neatest small game rifle and cartridge I have seen.
    I was gifted a 1924 made pristine Savage Sporter in 25-20. I scrounged an original magazine, moulds, bullets and brass for it. I bought a bunch of brass here from the late Grumpa, who made them from 32-20 brass. Somehow he figured out how to make them without much failure in production.
    I will scope the rifle eventually. It DOES make a very nice 100 yard chuck gun. I am the neighborhood woodchuck assassin for a couple of farms next door and that sporter does the trick quite well.
    You are right - 25-20 IS neat small game round.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I was gifted a 1924 made pristine Savage Sporter in 25-20. I scrounged an original magazine, moulds, bullets and brass for it. I bought a bunch of brass here from the late Grumpa, who made them from 32-20 brass. Somehow he figured out how to make them without much failure in production.
    I will scope the rifle eventually. It DOES make a very nice 100 yard chuck gun. I am the neighborhood woodchuck assassin for a couple of farms next door and that sporter does the trick quite well.
    You are right - 25-20 IS neat small game round.
    The key to making the 25-20 WCF from Starline 32-20 is to get a good anneal on them before you start to do anything else. I started out making them with out annealing and while you can do it, the failure rate is much higher even when being real careful and going slow. If that is not bad enough, then the ones you have crack after two or three firings.
    For sure anneal to start and really, anneal again after forming into 25-20. Then how often after that may be based on how heavy you load them.

For what ever reason, some of the Starline brass I have is harder than woodpecker lips.
    I don't know if it is all that way or if it is due to the brass alloy they use. No clue. BUT, once you get it annealed the first time it is outstanding!

Not to hijack this thread
    In a different thread I can describe what I do to form them (25-20WCF) with next to no loss, if there is interest. Someone else can start that thread tho... It is elk hunting season. I will have more time next month.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 10-23-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

I use 4 different calibers of brass from Starline. 3 are used as they come from Starline, the other I reform to another caliber. Nothing but the highest quality in my opinion. Never had problems with any of their brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Not to hijack this thread
    In a different thread I can describe what I do to form them (25-20WCF) with next to no loss if there is interest. Someone else can start that thread tho... It is elk hunting season. I will have more time next month.
    This would be most interesting. The late Grumpa had a TON of stuff on forming 25-20 but the search feature does not bring up anything in this thread. Somehow i think the mods may have deleted it after he passed away.
    After you get your elk in the freezer, please DO post your experience and technique.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am another supporter of Starline.

I got a good deal on Norma .308 Match ammunition and will be seeing if I can tell the difference with reloads when I get around to it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I might as well add a case to the Starline wish list. About all my brass is Starline if it's one they make. I would like to see 30-30 brass with a small primer pocket like the 30 American Federal made a run of back in the 80s. The few of us who make and shoot 219 Don Wasps would appreciate it. The Wasp doesn't need a large rifle primer, small would be just fine. Years ago someone made a small liner you could press into the large pocket to convert it to small but I havn't heard much about that for years. It wouldn't be too big a change to make since there is no change to the dimensions of the case, just a smaller punch when the case is headed.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

I see they’ve added 270

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the contact feature at Starline and send them my wishlist every so often. 303 Savage, 300 Savage and 35 Remington. They brought out 375 Winchester and 41 Special which used to be on my wishlist for years. They even introduced 7.65 French Long which blind sided me. I can't figure out why unless somebody is planning on making a reproduction Pederson device for M1903 Mark I's. I'd buy one. My theory is write them with wishlists and if they get enough requests they just might make it.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Matt, thanks to you guys at Starline, I now have kicked the "range pick up habit" and no longer have to be constantly adjusting my crimp die when seating and crimping due to the MANY different length of different brands of brass.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Starline has provided a great service to all hand loaders. Reasonable priced brass of good quality. Most of all they have made it for calibers that weren’t available elsewhere. I hope they keep up their good reputation and the company continues to operate successfully.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Starline is popular because It's cheaper then everyone else's.

They don't Anneal it as the last step the way other manufacturers do. That's what makes it cheaper.
    I shoot Starline because it is the ONLY option currently out there for brand new 327 federal brass. I also have a handful of other cartridges like 357 magnum, 41 magnum, 44 magnum, and 45 acp. I'm not going to say it's bad, but Starline makes fair brass for a fair price. Nothing more. It beats range pickup generic brass, but it is not on the level of Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc. I have more problems with Starline brass annealing than any other brand. That reminds me. I recently bought 444 marlin brass to form 309 JDJ. Brand new brass that couldn't be sized down at all. I ended up annealing every case. Most pistol shooters probably couldn't care less, but when you can feel by hand that a bullet seats easy in one case, and hard in the next, that kind of discrepancy shows up on target.

I don't mean this to rip on the company, but Starline has to get their annealing act in order. The second I can get my hands on a few thousand Federal brand cases of 327 federal, all my Starline cases are going down the road.

Boolit Grand Master

Speak of the devil. Midway has both Hornady and Federal brand brass in 327 federal! And for great prices too!

Boolit Grand Master

Starline anneals the same as every other manufacturer with the exception of some of the straight walled original blackpowder cartridges that are often loaded to well above SAAMI specs. Starline recommends that the user anneal for BP usage to prevent blow-back.

https://www.ammoland.com/2009/11/sta...#axzz6F1vclzdi
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know about the method, but Starline is the bottom rung with annealing consistency. Their brass is thicker and tougher than most brands, which some people might like. I never measured, but Starline brass is visibly thicker than any other brand I've seen. This thickness makes it horrible to use with NOE expander plugs, they stick like crazy. My biggest problem though is inconsistent neck tension. As I've said, I can feel which bullets seat hard, and which would practically slip in by hand. Even after being expanded with a NOE expander.

I just bought 2000 Federal brand cases, I won't miss the Starline.

Boolit Grand Master

What caliber? I have 2K of 45-70 and 8K of 45 Colt that I am very happy with. I also have some 348 and 375 Win Brass but i haven't loaded any of those so no comment. I did load 5K of 380 Auto for a buddy years ago with no issues but I have never loader any 380 except for new Starline brass. I have a bunch of 44-40 Starline but that was ones or twice fired so other than I've had zero issues with it I have no comment.

I am a huge Lapua fan. Normally it is the only brass I purchase for competition or serious accuracy requirements but years ago I purchased some .223 that was well under Lapua normal standards. Frankly is was junk.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Comparison_...ine_Brass.html

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/...er-uniformity/

Before 6.5x284 was standard I used Winchester brass to form. Two buddies and myself ordered a barrel. That was 5,700 cases if I remember correctly. That was the worst brass I have ever encountered. The neck and case walls were way out of concentric. It's wasn't suitable for competition.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-26-2020 at 03:42 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I don't know about the method, but Starline is the bottom rung with annealing consistency. Their brass is thicker and tougher than most brands, which some people might like. I never measured, but Starline brass is visibly thicker than any other brand I've seen. This thickness makes it horrible to use with NOE expander plugs, they stick like crazy. My biggest problem though is inconsistent neck tension. As I've said, I can feel which bullets seat hard, and which would practically slip in by hand. Even after being expanded with a NOE expander.

I just bought 2000 Federal brand cases, I won't miss the Starline.
    I have no problem using NOE expanding plugs for my .45-70 brass. I do anneal it as they say to, because I am loading BP into them. I think I like the idea of them being thicker and tougher. I would have thought the opposite owing to their reasonable price.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used all the calibers I listed in post #51. I have not done too much with the 357 magnum or 45 acp brass, ond only tried 444 marlin once. I have used it quite a bit in 41 and 44 magnum. The caliber I've used the most by far is 327 federal.

327 federal I've gone to sorting the brass based on how hard it expands, it is quite a problem. While it does last, it does not perform. The thickness is not a problem in this caliber. The 444 marlin I tried to form into 309 JDJ, which was a disaster. The stuff doesn't size down at all. I ended up having to anneal every single piece of brass, then sizing down in steps. Remington brass, which was stupid expensive, you can size down in one step, with no annealing. Now I know why it costs more. I honestly have not had any problems in 41 magnum. That batch seems to be good. 44 magnum seems consistent, but WOW does it size and expand hard. The first time I used a NOE expander in them without lube, it is a miracle I didn't rip the rim off.

I won't pretend like everything else is all roses. I can't make the claim for long range rifles, but for handguns, I have had NONE of these problems with Winchester, Federal, or Hornady brass. I've had nothing but great luck with Remington too, and some people hate that stuff. I'd say Starline is likely right in there with the generic brands, S&B, Magtech, etc.

It works, it's cheap, but I'd rather have something else.

Boolit Grand Master

Why do most consider Lapua to be the best brass today? What happened to Norma? You don’t hear much about it today. Did the quality go down?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Why do most consider Lapua to be the best brass today? What happened to Norma? You don’t hear much about it today. Did the quality go down?
    Norma is great brass also. The rep. on Norma is the head is softer so primer pockets loosen sooner. For me in 6mm BR that has been true.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-26-2020 at 04:25 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I've used all the calibers I listed in post #51. I have not done too much with the 357 magnum or 45 acp brass, ond only tried 444 marlin once. I have used it quite a bit in 41 and 44 magnum. The caliber I've used the most by far is 327 federal.

327 federal I've gone to sorting the brass based on how hard it expands, it is quite a problem. While it does last, it does not perform. The thickness is not a problem in this caliber. The 444 marlin I tried to form into 309 JDJ, which was a disaster. The stuff doesn't size down at all. I ended up having to anneal every single piece of brass, then sizing down in steps. Remington brass, which was stupid expensive, you can size down in one step, with no annealing. Now I know why it costs more. I honestly have not had any problems in 41 magnum. That batch seems to be good. 44 magnum seems consistent, but WOW does it size and expand hard. The first time I used a NOE expander in them without lube, it is a miracle I didn't rip the rim off.

I won't pretend like everything else is all roses. I can't make the claim for long range rifles, but for handguns, I have had NONE of these problems with Winchester, Federal, or Hornady brass. I've had nothing but great luck with Remington too, and some people hate that stuff. I'd say Starline is likely right in there with the generic brands, S&B, Magtech, etc.

It works, it's cheap, but I'd rather have something else.
    I make my 375jdj from starline 444 bras in one step with no problems . Been thinking of getting a 309jdj . Wonder how it would work out doing it in steps to get to the 309jdj

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast