Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starline hope

Hello All,

I guess I'd like to see Starline make the 25-20 WCF.
    Also the 25-20 SS Basic, one could form a lot of different cases from that one.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master

I was happy to see Starline making 360 Dan Wesson brass. I just finished making 256 Winchester from them. I made 500 of them and only lost 12, none of the losses due to the brass, just errors on my part. All cases were annealed first, reduced to 30 cal in a 30 Mauser die and then run into the 256 Winchester fl sizing die and trimmed to 1.281. I lost the very first case I ran into the 30 Mauser die by not aligning it properly & crushing the mouth. The other 11 I "lost" were just lube dents in the shoulder. I will load those and shoot them & the dents will probably come out. 357 Mag cases sometimes come out a little short so the slightly longer Dan Wesson brass gives the extra length. They tell me the web of the DW cases is stronger also. Thanks to Starline for making it available.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mike69 View Post
    I make my 375jdj from starline 444 bras in one step with no problems . Been thinking of getting a 309jdj . Wonder how it would work out doing it in steps to get to the 309jdj
    To make 309 JDJ brass. First you have to anneal the 444 marlin cases. It won't work without this. Next I ran cases into a 44 magnum die to square up the mouths. Then I ran into a 358 Winchester sizing die. Finally I ran them into a 308 Winchester die until they just chamber. This was followed by a second annealing, which I am not sure was necessary. Fire form, anneal again, and size in 309 JDJ dies.

Remington brass is twice the price, but I'd pay that knowing what I know now. That you just size in 308 win die, fire form, anneal once, and you are good to go. When I first started with 309 JDJ, I could not even size down in a 41 magnum die. Just that small amount would split the case right open. I'm surprised you were able to get to 375.

Any chance you are interested in a 309 JDJ contender pistol? Comes with 60 cases of fireformed and prepped brass!

Boolit Man
    I'll be glad if they make .223 and 30-06 "basic" brass.

Boolit Master
    Again, GONRA wants STARLINE to make 7.62x45mm Czech Brass. (7mm Nambu would be Really Nice too!)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NObamain2012 View Post
    I'll be glad if they make .223 and 30-06 "basic" brass.
    They do make 223 basic brass
    https://www.starlinebrass.com/223-basic

They dont list 30-06, but do also have 6.8 basic and 6.5 grendel basic brass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20200314-172344_Samsung Internet.jpg  

Hi Matt, If you are still monitoring this thread how about 300 Savage,303 Savage,35 Rem,577/450 MH,577 Snider & 7.7 Japanese. I am also curious as to why your 348 Win is so pricey?
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

I'm sure prices are partially based on sales.
    44 Colt are $116 per 500 and 41 Colt are $306 per 500.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master

I would like to see them make 256 Winchester but as long as they continue making 360 Dan Wesson I will happily make my 256s from them.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    I'm sure prices are partially based on sales.
    44 Colt are $116 per 500 and 41 Colt are $306 per 500.

AntiqueSledMan.
    My guess is their prices are actually based on their raw material costs and how many operations it takes to form a particular casing, including what waste is included in material costs. I looked through prices of their products and after consideration of actual cost to produce they all seem reasonable and comparable. A magnum belted rifle case is going to cost more than a 38 S&W case. But I am waiting for something that can be easily formed into 43 Spanish, or the finished 43 Spanish case itself.

Boolit Man
    Yes, it would be great if Starline would make a run of 25-20 SS.
    It's great that they make many old calibers, .41 LC, .32-20 Win., 38-55 Win etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    My guess is their prices are actually based on their raw material costs and how many operations it takes to form a particular casing, including what waste is included in material costs. I looked through prices of their products and after consideration of actual cost to produce they all seem reasonable and comparable. A magnum belted rifle case is going to cost more than a 38 S&W case. But I am waiting for something that can be easily formed into 43 Spanish, or the finished 43 Spanish case itself.
    Setup time comes into play also. Cost per part is significantly less if you run 10 million parts verse 10,000.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    In a capitalist system you don't charge only what it costs to make plus some percentage for profit, you charge what the market will bear. Lots of other options means a lower price.
    Last edited by kenton; 03-21-2020 at 07:35 AM. Reason: clumsy wording
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    They do make 223 basic brass
    https://www.starlinebrass.com/223-basic

They dont list 30-06, but do also have 6.8 basic and 6.5 grendel basic brass.
    Thanks, 30 TCU here I come!

Boolit Grand Master
    Would love some 6mm br and some 405 win!!

Boolit Man
    NObamain2012, Starline does (or did in recent memory) make 223 Basic brass, I have a couple of hundred. Used it to make the 357 Max AR.

Boolit Master

Years ago a whole bunch of us wrote to Starline asking they start making 25-20, .218 Bee and 32-40 brass. We all got the brush off...

Banned
    well I DO know that they only made the 45 cowboy, ie 45 colt with a 45acp case length, BECAUSE the person who wanted it was willing to purchase a minimum order of 50,000 cases.

SO take that into consideration. And heres about bullet making, ran into a so called custom bullet company last year. they make a cannelured 250 grain bullet for 45 colt. I asked about the possibility of a 250 or 260 grain fmj round nose version. They were willing to, IF I would pay 5,000$ to have them make the changes to equipment, and funny thing is, they said they could do it with existing equipment. Plus I needed to order at least 10,000 bullets

Boolit Master

The only Lapua brass I own is for my 7mm BR. (6mm BR necked up to 7mm BR.) Otherwise, I am happy with all Starline brass!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Would love some 6mm br and some 405 win!!
    Would love some 6mm br also

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast