Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Gas check or no check?

Boolit Buddy

Gas check or no check?

I’m going to be buying new NOE molds for 22 hornet, 223rem and 357max. My question is should I buy gas check molds or not. I plan to switch over to pc soon but haven’t yet.
    I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the change!

Μολὼν λάβε

How hard are you going to push them?

When I first started reading here one of the first gems I found was a general rule for gas checks. Over 1400 fps use a check. You'll get better results most of the time. I also think that over 1400 you need better lube. Now I use BLL for everything these days but rifle bullets that I know will get pushed a bit harder get 3 light coats vs 2 for lower speed use.

.22hornet I don't have so no opinion. .223rem yes, get gas check mold and checks. Unless your planning on loading down to below 1400 fps. .223 makes a fine .22lr replacement IMO with a cast 55 gr boolit and 3-4.5 grains of Red Dot.

.357 would depend on load, bullet, I would say it rides the border. You can get over that, but it is easy enough to stay under it if that is what you wish.
    I have one .357 mold with gas check, the Lee .358 200 gr RCBS clone, and 3 without.

YMMV, everyone has their own idea's.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I have found if You are A PC coated bullet person: The Gas Checked version works very well without the gas check ( not so much with the PB version)
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington