Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curious a out the 300 Blackout

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Been a while since I could get on the forum. Thank you all for your insights.

This rifle will be an American version of a Rook and Rabbit rifle. Lightweight, well balanced and accurate. It will be used for mostly varmint and small game, up to coyote size or hogs, when they get this far North.

The 300 HAM’R is interesting. Especially since I do not intend to use a suppressor.

I do need to see what else is available on the .378 head size cartridge.

Thank you again, lots of ideas to consider.

Kevin
    If you are open to a single shot check out the CVA. Only thing it needs is open sights IMO. Super short and compact, it is a nice walking rifle. Here's mine next to my 10/22 for size comparison. I've shot .5" groups with factory ammo at 100yds with it. The new version is a take-down rifle.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/cva-...ct-300aac-165/
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Now I want a CVA.
    Enabler.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Now I want a CVA.
    Enabler.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Lol. This thing shoots way better than you would think it should. Trigger pull is very light with no take up. Here's what it'll do with cheap plated subs at 50 yds.

Boolit Bub
    I was pretty disappointed when H&R discontinued the Handi Rifle in 300 Blk. I may have to jump on this as well as it looks like a much better firearm than the Handi.

I cast and shoot a ton of subs and supers for my other Blk guns. I am super excited now!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vtech26 View Post
    I was pretty disappointed when H&R discontinued the Handi Rifle in 300 Blk. I may have to jump on this as well as it looks like a much better firearm than the Handi.

I cast and shoot a ton of subs and supers for my other Blk guns. I am super excited now!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I'd put this rifle right up there with my old T/C Contender in quality. If you want one you better order while they are available. They are built by Bergara and imported in batches. When the batch runs out they are unavailable. After I bought mine in 2014 they were unavailable until recently. I'd say ~3.5 years of inability to get one.

These are very popular overseas and they have some cool options we can't get. I'd love to have this BA-13.
    Last edited by steve urquell; 10-21-2019 at 08:13 PM.

That is definitely prettier. What is the rifling twist?

That is definitely prettier. What is the rifling twist?
    My .300BLK is 1:8. I have shot 86gr to 150s accurately. Haven't shot anything heavier as I have no need to.

Boolit Buddy
    My opinon of the 300AAC is, meh.
    If you are looking for subsonic, semi-auto then there are cartridges that take much less work, like 45acp or 9mm. (smaller case capacity is easier to work with)
    If you want supersonic, semi-auto then 7.62x39 is easier and plentiful. Or 30 carbine or .357mag or 10mm or .327 mag or .308 or (ad nausea).(the small case limits the range of powders-limits based on your gun too)
    If you want subsonic single shot, then .38spcl or downloaded .357/.30 carbine/30-30 are easier.(rimmed single shot is better, or lever action loads)
    If you want supersonic single shot then 30-30 or 7.62x39 are easier. (no need to re-invent the medium rifle cartridge, there are plenty to pick from)

I have a 300BO setup (AR upper), have formed brass, handloaded and tested 2 weights of boolits, and can tell you that is a novelty and its not worth the work required to make things work. Yes its fun to "make it work" but its not the panacea that the internet tells you it is. 300AAC does NOTHING that is not already done - except that it feeds from a AR that only requires a barrel change. That is it.

Two weights of bullets? The Blackout can use 85 gr to 230 gr bullets and every weight in between. I will agree that it’s popularity stems from the AR15 compatibility; but nothing is wrong with that. You get a serious power upgrade just by changing the barrel. A 125 gr bullet at circa 2200 FPS is nothing to sneeze at whether used for close range hunting or self defense. And yes, I own and use 7.62x39 and 30-30 and .30 Carbine as well- but the .300 guards the home. I respect your opinion, Photog- I just don’t share it.

300AAC must be a flash in the pan, only 10 MAJOR ammo makers supplying it in like 5 different weights. Only hundreds of hogs and many deer taken with it @ ~ 100 yds.
    Whatever!

Many years ago my nephew shot a deer low in the chest with a 30- 06. We tracked it forever and finally I was in the right spot when it jumped up and cut loose with a SKS and cheap soft point ammo. The deer got peppered with holes from the SKS but the terminal effect wasn't that great. I suppose the bullets weren't matched well to the velocity the cartridge could produce.
    I just learned that again with the 300 blackout. I have 150 spizters going 1950 fps and they don't expand much if any from hitting a jug of water with a piece tin behind it.
    Is anyone loading for that 300 Ham r? 30- 30 power with a 15 twist barrel, sounds like it would be good with boolits.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Try the 150 gold dot made for BO, there are 2 versions, one for BO expands at 1400 fps. Or Tssx? X-caliber does barrels in the 40WT, BO & 30 HRT but not the hammer, yet?
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Two weights of bullets? The Blackout can use 85 gr to 230 gr bullets and every weight in between. I will agree that it’s popularity stems from the AR15 compatibility; but nothing is wrong with that. You get a serious power upgrade just by changing the barrel. A 125 gr bullet at circa 2200 FPS is nothing to sneeze at whether used for close range hunting or self defense. And yes, I own and use 7.62x39 and 30-30 and .30 Carbine as well- but the .300 guards the home. I respect your opinion, Photog- I just don’t share it.
    Everything above is true. The OP wanted to know about the 300AAC, and yes its a viable caliber. A 125gr projectile at 2200fps at 100yds is a 7.62x39 (introduced in 1943) or a 30-30 (introduced in 1885) found in more than one load book.
    Its a medium rifle cartridge, nothing new except it works in a 5.56 AR15.
    I like AR's, I have many. I have .30 carbines, 30-06s, and a 30-30, and 7.62x39 AK, SKS, and AR upper. I load for everything except x39. Many of my guns have never seen a factory round cuz I'm cheap and I enjoy handloading.
    But still my opinion is that 300AAC, while very flexible, can only duplicate an existing cartridge's performance and does nothing new (except feed from an AR).
    At one time I was enamored with it, but now I can see it's not worth the time; I have other projects. Your mileage may vary.

I don't think you can find ONE cartridge that can do what the blackout can do and find it chambered in as many rifles as are available right now. I also don't think you can load for any rifle cartridge for as little money as you can for the blackout.

Some of my sub loads are 86gr of lead in front of a small pistol primer, 2.6 grains of shotgun powder, and converted 5.56 blank brass. No filler needed.

I have no illusions that it will do anything any of an array of existing rounds will do but it is so versatile I couldn't replace it with one round. I shoot reloads that range from .380ACP power all the way up to 30-30 power, use pistol and rifle primers, shotgun, pistol, and rifle powders, pistol and rifle bullets. Some guys are loading 265gr bullets on BLKtalk now and getting sub-MOA accuracy.

It does everything I need it to do and does it for dirt cheap.

Fantastic little devil. From 110 gr to 240 gr can serve a distinct purpose. A 30.06 it will never be so don't try and a 44 magnum it cannot be so don't either. Pay attention to bullet construction when looking to ask it to perform and it will. Thinking it is an end all beat all cartridge and your tracking skill will be put to the test.
    I have loaded hundreds of different bullets in this cartridge with multiple powders. Suppressed at all time and sub and supers. My one and only load now that I have put things to rest is as follows:
    My gun, my load, use at your own risk
    180 gr speer btsp
    19 grains AA 1680
    CCI 450 magnum primer
    Federal cut down cases
    Supersonic but quiet enough for muffless shooting
    Takes deer with reliable expansion out to 150 yards
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12