Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious a out the 300 Blackout

Boolit Master

Curious about the 300 Blackout

I am not familiar with modern cartridges. From what I can find on line, the 330 BlackOut is the 223 case with the neck expanded to take 308 diameter projectiles. Am I oversimpfying it?

I am not interested in self loading rifle but am considering having a 223 barrel bored to 30 and putting it on a bolt action.

Does anyone on the forum use a bolt action 300 Black Out? If so, please tell me how it performs with boolits.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 10-20-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Got an earlier Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK. I shoot 230g PC'd CBs suppressed with it.
    Current model accommodates AR mags, mine was rotary.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

The .300 Blackout is based on the .221 FireBall case but it's in the .223 family with the .222 Remington being the origin. It's commonly formed from abundant as dirt 5.56/.223 brass.
    In my opinion it is one of the most fun cartridges ever - even without a suppressor. In a bolt action the cast boolit fun would be endless. .32 S&W to < 7.62x39 ballistics in a handy package.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

There are jigs you can buy to trim the .223/5.56 brass with a harbor freight chop saw. It cuts off around the shoulder area. Then hit it with a sizer die to form a neck amd shoulder. Anneal and fire form. Thats about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve got several AR rifles and AR pistols as well as a Remington 700 AAC Tacticsl model in 300 BLACK. Supersonic with 110-125 is easy to hit out to 200-250 on steel with boring predictability. I’d have no problem taking a shot at deer size animals out to 150-200 yards with the 110-125hr class bullets. Shoots heavy subsonic P.C. boolits for cheap! Awesome with the suppressor with heavy subs and cheap to shoot. What’s not to like?

Boolit Buddy

Great caliber I use a single shot for varmints and an AR for 3-gun, projectile selection is pretty endless thanks to all the 30 cal bullets and or molds out there
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

I bought a Remington 700 Tactical with the heavy round 16.5" barrel and I love it ... cheap to shoot and tons of fun! So far I've been loading 150 grain jacketed bullets with Winchester 296 to fire-form the brass that was made from shortened .223 Federal brass, but I plan to try several different weights of boolits in future ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

You can buy commercial brass as well as loaded rounds, Or if you feel like it you can make you own brass from .223/5.56 cases. I usually just anneal the cases, shorten, then run them through a sizer then trim to length. Takes time, but is easy to do. Brass is not as expensive as it originally was. It can be incredibly accurate as well as cheap and fun to shoot.

I love the blackout. Don't cast for it but reload and make my own brass. Savage just came out with their axis in it which has good reviews. I shoot a CVA V2 single shot which takes the feeding issue out of the picture and allows me to load any bullet/boolit I choose.

Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

That 223 barrel will need set back a good bit to be rechambered for 300 BO ,if you plan on shooting just normal weight 100-180ish bullets out of it there's really no reason to get a fast twist if your doing a rebore . A 12 twist worked for me with 200 gr cast bullets at regular speeds .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I am not familiar with modern cartridges. From what I can find on line, the 330 BlackOut is the 223 case with the neck expanded to take 308 diameter projectiles. Am I oversimpfying it?

I am not interested in self loading rifle but am considering having a 223 barrel bored to 30 and putting it on a bolt action.

Does anyone on the forum use a bolt action 300 Black Out? If so, please tell me how it performs with boolits.

Kevin
    If it were me, I would consider the 300 Ham'r, especially if it not going to shot subsonic/suppressed. Brass is available from Starline.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    That 223 barrel will need set back a good bit to be rechambered for 300 BO ,if you plan on shooting just normal weight 100-180ish bullets out of it there's really no reason to get a fast twist if your doing a rebore . A 12 twist worked for me with 200 gr cast bullets at regular speeds .
    You can't use a 223 barrel due to the bore size obviously but you can chamber a 30 cal barrel.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

I would just get a .300 Blk barrel. They aren't all that expensive.

The .300 Blk is similar to a .30-30 in an AR. They are great if you want to shoot heavy bullets suppressed. Not so good with lighter bullets at higher speed.

What are the intended uses of this rifle?
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned
    A friend has one like this -- note no hearing protection. with subsonic loads, his is quieter than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMvTvkJ1rg8

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    A friend has one like this -- note no hearing protection. with subsonic loads, his is quieter than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMvTvkJ1rg8
    Suppressed just doesn't come across well on video. Much quieter in person. You can hear the hammer fall on my CVA but it sounds about like that video when recorded.

In my personal opinion, subsonic loads are only good for targets and play. Or head shooting close range hogs at night with night vision scope. You can approach 2000 fps with a 150gr bullet and the lighter bullets will flatten the trajectory enough to make an adequate 150 yard and under deer cartridge. It's a 30-30 "Lite" at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    In my personal opinion, subsonic loads are only good for targets and play. Or head shooting close range hogs at night with night vision scope. You can approach 2000 fps with a 150gr bullet and the lighter bullets will flatten the trajectory enough to make an adequate 150 yard and under deer cartridge. It's a 30-30 "Lite" at best.

I bought my .300blk for mostly varmint control on my 24 acres. It is awesome for dispatching armadillos with subs w/o busting your eardrums. Hornady's fine .309 90gr XTP will expand as low as 800fps or you can use solids for head shooting squirrels or rabbits. I load a .30 carbine bullet with a whiff of TiteWad(not titegroup) that is silly quiet with the suppressor on or off and costs me about the same as .22LR even buying plated bullets. Lots of uses for subs as long as it isn't long range big game hunting.

The .309 XTP can also be loaded hot up to 2300fps with a full case of Lil-Gun. I made the mistake of shooting a dillo with one of those. Had to pick up parts from multiple places.
    Only thing I've ever shot a gallon water jug with that blew it into multiple pieces instead of just splitting it--savage.

Lots of commercial ammo on the shelf for it now but you can buy or make your own. Buy a BO (or any of the several variants) barrel. Don't know if you can set back a 223 1/2 ". I've shot 220 UMC subs from my carbine 1:10 twist fine, 145gr cast @ 2100 do MOA @100. Heaviest cast I shoot is 185 for the 30/30 - lightest is 110 Vmax. Put a 3x nikon on the 10" 1:8 AR pistol, friend did the shooting and I told him which way to adjust vert (don't ask) - he got the bull and I confirmed by placing one on top of his. ~100 with tailgate of gator for a rest. Using assorted 125-150gr jax reloads - all in the 1800 fps range (2k or better in 18" carbine). So yes, call it a 30/30 lite. 2/3 the powder, much less recoil. 40WT and 30 hammer (mostly supers) are hotter but restrict the bullet weight a little. Prepare for lots of fun!! Oh, lots of hogs and deer taken with the BO at good ranges (<200 but not by me).
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Been a while since I could get on the forum. Thank you all for your insights.

This rifle will be an American version of a Rook and Rabbit rifle. Lightweight, well balanced and accurate. It will be used for mostly varmint and small game, up to coyote size or hogs, when they get this far North.

The 300 HAM’R is interesting. Especially since I do not intend to use a suppressor.

I do need to see what else is available on the .378 head size cartridge.

Thank you again, lots of ideas to consider.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Banned

killed 5 deer with one of mine this year and it performed all out of proportion to what youd expect out of that little case. My favorite round changes like the seasons but right now its the 300 bo. I build 3 last year and will pick up a ruger American too. Whats not to like. Its killed well out to 200 yards using 110 barnes x bullets that run 2400 fps out of my 16 inch gun and 2200 out of my 8.5 and 2050 out of my 7 inch pistol. So your getting near 3030 power out of a 16 inch gun and at least 16in 30 carbine power out of a 7 inch barrel (which by the way is the ONLY barnes bullet designed specifical for one cartridge and is even tempered to expand at bo velocitys) and shoots 130 rcbs spitzer gas checks into two inches at a 100 yards so I can load free cast bullets and a 1/3 less powder and shoot ars for half what a 556 costs to shoot. Recoil is mild enough for even a small girl. I love it and still haven't even played with it suppressed. In 3 weeks our regular deer season opens and I will be in my blind with my 8.5 inch ar pistol in 300 bo. I couldn't even dream up a better combo for shooting out to a maximum of a bit less then a 100 yards out of a box blind. But then im building my first 6.5 Grendel right now so next year I might have a new favorite cartridge. Now if I could only talk ruger into making there little lever gun in 300 bo. that would be a cool little whitetail gun.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-20-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast