MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Hit a snag with the Blackhawk Bisley

Boolit Buddy

Hit a snag with the Blackhawk Bisley

Well, as I said in my previous thread, I ordered the .44 Special BH Bisley. Yesterday, I got the call informing me that it had arrived. So, after work, I made my way to the shop and sure enough my new blued steel beauty was there. Unfortunately, she was under the weather. While examining the revolver, I cocked the action and noted a distinct "catch" about half way from the hammer's rested position and its fully cocked position. At first, I thought maybe the cylinder was binding as it rotated, but after removing the cylinder, the catch in the action was still there. Then I thought, "well, it's brand new. It might just have to be cocked a few times to smooth it out." So dutifully I cocked it briskly a few times to see if it started to feel smoother. Not only did it remain the same, but there were several times where the hammer/action "locked" and I could not cock it. When that happened, I had to release the pressure on the hammer and start the cocking stroke again. So, in the end, I asked the store's owner to return that one to Lipsey's and have them ship me a different one.

So, while I'm waiting, I was hoping some of you might share your favorite .44 Special loads. I'm a big fan of the Skeeter load with 7.5 grains of Unique behind a Keith bullet. I shoot more of that than any others in .44 Special, and it's a great general purpose load. Still, I thought some of you might have some good ones I can try out when my replacement revolver arrives.

Howard

Boolit Master
    My 3rd generation Colt likes 8.1 gr of 4756 with the Keith 240 gr.

My Bisley 44spl acted the same way just before the pawl broke. Twice.

Boolit Buddy
    8.3 grains power pistol with a 250 grain SWC. 429421, H&G 503 etc . Warm load. Does 950fps out of a 4 5/8 Inch Bisley 44 special I have

Sorry you had this disappointment. Sounds like the plunger on the bottom of the hammer was binding. Likely just debris in the hole. It's a common issue for Rugers and solved by cleaning out the hole well and polishing with some fine sandpaper. I've had it happen twice, once to a blackhawk 357 and once to a single six. It'll flat lock the gun up if it rusts or the spring breaks.

I had to replace a plunger spring on one Ruger.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys! I’ve been out of town all weekend. I’m hoping the replacement is in by the time I get back home.

Howard