RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Vintage RCBS dies--were die bodies for the decap/bell die made of aluminum?

Vintage RCBS dies--were die bodies for the decap/bell die made of aluminum?

As the title states, were there vintage RCBS dies with the die bodies for the decap/bell die made of aluminum?

I recently bought a whole batch of reloading stuff, included were ~two dozen die sets, some going back into the sixties.

In the mix are 2 sets of 30 Carbine dies. The first die is steel, size only, no way to have a de-capper installed on the die.

Second die is an aluminum body with a de-prime/bell plug in it that says RCBS 30 Cal. stamped on the top of the steel threaded de-prime/bell plug.

Third die appears to be a standard steel seater die.

Loaded up a handful of 30 carbine loads this evening just to try it out. Appears to function just fine.

Aluminum body? New one on me.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes. Some of them were. The first one is just a smooth hole in the sized right? I have 44 mag set like that

Boolit Master
    Yep early ones were like that. My first press ( about 1968) was a RCBS reloader special with dies in 38spl for $29. #1 die was sizer only #2 an aluminum body with deprimer and expander and #3 was seater crimper. Still have that set but don't use it any more.

I still have several sets like that. The sizer and seater dies probably have a two digit number on them, indicating the year of manufacture.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I bought a set of 44 Mag dies in about 1970 and they were all steel but I have seen many pistol die sets with the aluminium expander die body.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a new one on me. But I traded most of my older RCBS dies off when I got my first Dillon. The older dies had a more square mouth, where the newer ones had more radius, making it easier to load on a progressive press.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, ya learn something every day. I started reloading in '69, stopped in '75 because of a messy divorce and sold my reloading stuff for food, and started again in the early eighties. First I've heard of an aluminum body die. I wonder how much reloading stuff there is out there I've not heard of...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Wow, ya learn something every day. I wonder how much reloading stuff there is out there I've not heard of...
    MDI, I keep asking myself the same question. Seems like there is always something new and often unidentified turning up.

I've not heard of it till now. Like to see some pictures of them.

Boolit Master

I have at least one; not readily available right now because it’s still packed from moving or I would post a picture.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Finally got around to taking a photo:

Attachment 249914

Steel sizer die on the left, smooth through hole, no threads for a de-capping stem. Center is the aluminum body that has the thread in de-cap/bell assembly next to it. Right is what appears to be very similar to today's steel seater die.

Used this set yesterday to load ~100 30 carbine rounds, worked great. Problem is now I have 4 30 carbine die sets. I see a S&S ad in my future
    Last edited by 15meter; 10-19-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: because I can't tell my left from right

Boolit Master
    There is currently a set of those dies in 30 carbine on EBay.

That is real neat. Thank you for going to the trouble to post a picture.

As I stated in a different thread about old dies, I think this may actually be a better design. If you get a stuck case while resizing it is simply a matter of sliding a punch through the hole and tapping it out. The belling/deprime is done on the second die. It is clearly the better way to go on straight wall cartridges.

Wonder why they changed, on a three die set I don't see a cost advantage, should be less expensive.

But most bean counters have confused me

Boolit Bub
    The ones that I have from the sixties are all steel. I have never seen Aluminum ones. Neat