MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Bit of a odd model 29 I picked up.

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar

Bit of a odd model 29 I picked up.

I've always been a Ruger guy when it comes to revolvers, but picked up this Smith model 29 the other day.

I'm not a Smith guy, but I think this one is a 29-5. It has a 5" full under lug barrel and unfluted cylinder. I also noticed that it has the case colored trigger and wide target hammer making me think it has the Smith endurance package.

This is the only blued full lug model 29 I have ever seen. I have seen a couple of the 629 classic hunters with full lug and unfluted cylinder, but all stainless and all with 6" barrels.

Someone local mentioned thinking it was a DX model, but I'm not sure what all that entails, or how to tell.

I saw this gun not long after walking into a gunshow and I went back to handle it at least a dozen times before finally making a offer. I have several other 44 mags that I really like, including a very nice blued 5.5" Redhawk. But this gun just kept drawing me back. Something about the way it balances, it just feels like it's part of my hand, although the finger grooves do not line up with my fingers at all. The single action trigger pull on this gun is also the finest I have ever felt on any pistol I have ever handled. Absolutely perfect.

Anyone else seen one quite like this? I think I got a good deal on it. It does not appear to have been shot very much.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3jBVzQA...d=gh3he5m27s5h

Boolit Bub
    The 5" full lug N frame is the most perfectly balanced handgun ever.... and you've got a nice one. You can tell the dash number by looking at the area under the crane when the cylinder is open, you will see the number stamped on the frame in the recess. You have forged target width hammer and trigger, which is desirable. The length of the stop notches indicates the gun has the endurance package, and the topstrap may be drilled for a scope mount. If it's a DX, it will be lasermarked on the side of the barrel, I can't tell in the pics.

At the time this one was made, early to mid 90's, S&W was selling more 629's than 29's, so 29 production was fairly low. Coupled with the unfluted cylinder, your gun is unusual. Maybe not rare, but you don't see them often. Also, there were more 6" guns than 5". I agree it looks like it hasn't been shot a lot.

You;ve got a nice example of a S&W 44 mag. Let us know how it shoots!

Boolit Buddy
    S&W produced the model 29 Classic, and the Classic DX in the early 1990's. According to company propaganda, the most accurate of the "Classic" models were chosen to be "Classic DX" (DX=Deluxe) revolvers. The only visible difference between the Classic and the Classic DX is the laser engraving mentioned above. The fact that yours has an un-fluted cylinder indicates it is a Model 29 Classic Hunter. I had a 3" version of that same revolver but I traded it some time ago.

Howard

Boolit Master
    You have a very nice revolver. A real nice feature of the Classic series is the front sight is easily interchangeable. Just push back and lift up and the sight comes off. I have a 5" 629 Classic DX that came with 5 additional front sight inserts as part of the DX package. Also, there was an extra set of grips and a target that showed the guns accuracy when shot at the factory. I believe as others have stated that you have a Classic Hunter model. As such, you will see that the top strap is drilled and tapped for optics mounting of your choice. Enjoy your new "toy", and let us know how it shoots.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    It might be one of the 500 made for Hill Country Distributors in Texas.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...#post137349516

You guys mentioned the classic hunter being drilled and tapped for a scope, this one is not. It also does not have any laser engraving for the DX on the barrel.

Behind the the cylinder crane on this one is marked BEH8130

The front sight on it also appears to to pinned in place.

Boolit Grand Master

Daniel, this is, IMHO, the best set up that Smith ever produced as far as barrel length, barrel contour and my preferred unfluted cylinder. I have one in 41 Mag and it’s one of my favorite Smith revolvers. Being a 29-5, it has the endurance package which IIRC started with 29-2E and continued thereafter. Anything that can be harvested with a 44, can be taken with that handgun.

As far as being D&T, IIRC you’d have to remove the rear sight entirely and have a look at the frame.

I'm a big time 44 mag guy, and have quite a few 44 mag pistols with my favorite being a blued Ruger Redhawk wirh a 5.5" barrel, but the more I handle it, the more I like its and I'm starting to get worried that once I get a chance to shoot it, it may take place of favorite revolver. I actually carry a 44 mag as my daily carry as well.

I have a 5" 686-6 and think 5" is the perfect length. Any 29-5 should have the EP. If you ever want to part with it send me a PM!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Daniel, this is, IMHO, the best set up that Smith ever produced as far as barrel length, barrel contour and my preferred unfluted cylinder. I have one in 41 Mag and it’s one of my favorite Smith revolvers. Being a 29-5, it has the endurance package which IIRC started with 29-2E and continued thereafter. Anything that can be harvested with a 44, can be taken with that handgun.

As far as being D&T, IIRC you’d have to remove the rear sight entirely and have a look at the frame.
    Actually, you can tell by just looking at the bottom of the topstrap, with the cylinder open. If there are several holes, it’s one of the D&T guns. At least, that worked on the D&T N Frames I’ve had.

I’d also pull the old Hogue grip off and make sure the gun isn’t corroding under it. Those rubber grips can trap and hold moisture from sweat and it will play hob with that blue steel frame.
    Last edited by Buzz Krumhunger; 10-17-2019 at 09:13 PM.

No holes visible from inside the frame. First thing I did was pull that crappy grip off and I have a set of wood grips on the way for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Good. Thats a neat old S&W and it deserves a better set of grips.

Boolit Master

Several years ago I ended up with 2 S&W Highway Patrolman .357's. One was almost perfect and the other was not far behind. I got the bug to have one converted to .44 Special. I sent the one that was slightly looser to Jim Stroh to convert. I originally asked for a 4" barrel. He convinced me to go with a 5" barrel. I'm glad I did. I value that gun above a couple of other customs now that he is retired.
    John
    W.TN

Finally get a chance to shoot the old girl today. This was the first 6 rounds at 20ish yards offhand, with my butt leaned against the hood of my truck. The flier was my first shot since I was not expecting the light trigger pull.

Shot about 2 boxes of ammo, and even though I'm a ruger guy, this gun may take place of my redhawk as favorite 44 mag.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3xsoKBp...=1smer9t0dg06m

Here are some photos of the gun as well as the group I fired today for those that are having problems with the Instagram link.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

That’s a nice handy size and a clean looking revolver you’ve got there!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

So, I shot this gun a little bit more this afternoon even though I was supposed to be working on my house and it shoots just wonderful with jacketed bullets, way better then I can shoot, but with cast I'm getting keyholes.

The target fired here was fired with a 240gn kieth style plain base, but I tried others up to 300 grain with the same issue.

Anyone have any ideas? It's got me puzzled because it shoots so good with jacketed.

Terrible photo, but the new wood grips came in the mail. Would have preferred no finger grooves and more of a walnut color, but I got these cheap so they will work.

Boolit Bub
    I would check the diameter of the cylinder throats and size the bullets one or two thou over the throat diameter.