Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I’m all done with my 450BM Ruger American with cast!!!

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8887FE9D-70F4-4184-B97D-76ECB37B786B.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	249989

Couple other pics where/are too large.

Base screws where red loc tited when I got the gu. But yes I checked and they could not be moved. Ring screws where loose!!! Ring base istill good and tight. So thats the culprit! The rings are Vortex (I believe) they are steel and have six top screws in 1/2” T15 design.

I RTV dabed each ring half and assembled. It wont move again once the silicone sets.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Name:	ADBFD961-97AA-4664-B9EE-DF61A6642547.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	249990

I got one small enough...

CW

Boolit Buddy
    I have a RAR in 450(and 300blk, 223, 2 of the 7.62x39s and a Predator 6.5 Grendel) and my 450 feeds the lee 300 just perfect I have never had feeding issues with it what so ever, I mostly shoot the lee 255rf to save lead though

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I tried chamfering today...and quit while I was behind. I don’t have the correct tools. The chamfer cutting head I have I had to wrap some duct tape around the base and try to thread it into a shotgun cleaning rod to spin it. I did shave some metal out of the rear of the barrel chamber and then lightly spun it till it felt like there were no ruff edges or burrs I created. There already was a machined chamfer in the barrel as you can see. I then removed the handle from the rod and inserted it into my drill. I used a brass brush with choreboy wrapped around it and spun it on my drill trying to smooth and polish my chamfer job. From there I took a few patches rubbed with mother’s chrome polish and placed them over the tip of my brass brush and spun them polishing my chamfer and chamber. It doesn’t look like I didn’t remove much. It still cycles the HPs smooth as silk now. I figured I’d try the old 300 grain FNs. I loaded some dummy rounds at 2.035”. I got exited as the first three rounds cycled flawlessly! Then the next six in a row jammed. Guess the chamfer needs to be wider to get the 300’s to cycle properly. To be fair I did have one of the HPs jam because the lip on one of the HPs were so folded over from trying to cycle it stuck way out...so I’m not counting that one.

I did call Ruger today and they are sending an extractor, spring, and ball along with a second magazine. They confirmed that the extractor should not move back and forth like mines doing.

After chamfer and polishing ....

The tool I used. I’m guessing I need a wider chamfer tool to cut more of an angle?

And the 300 grain FNs loaded at 2.035”, you can see where they hit...

Update...I did try the JB weld magazine and out of 15 cycles I only had two jams. It seems to happen if I pause instead of “hard” cycling while cycling in the round.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-21-2019 at 01:56 PM.

That bit will make the chamfer too deep. You'll want closer to a 120 degree total angle and open up the chamfer diameter to around .650". Also break the sharp angle on the transition from chamfer to chamber wall. so it's not a sharp angle. When cutting the chamfer I keep the compound set at 30 degress which works out to 120 degrees total for the chamber face and open it up between .640"-.660".

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    That bit will make the chamfer too deep. You'll want closer to a 120 degree total angle and open up the chamfer diameter to around .650". Also break the sharp angle on the transition from chamfer to chamber wall. so it's not a sharp angle. When cutting the chamfer I keep the compound set at 30 degress which works out to 120 degrees total for the chamber face and open it up between .640"-.660".

Thanks for the heads up. I believe all I did was barely remove a little metal from the “outer” edge as you can see it’s shiny. I believe this chamfer tool was to narrow at the tip so it never touched the base of the existing factory chamfer.

Since I have two more magazines coming I added some JB weld to the other magazine that keeps feeding my cast boolits too low in hope to get the lip equivalent to the other two magazines that feed correctly.

90? might of been what they used at the factory. 120 will get you the width without as much depth which will leave the case unsupported. For AR's it's convenient as the compound was already set to 30 degrees per side for threading which is 60 degrees on the face per side or 120 total.

Oh, I forgot to mention Ruger told me they changed magazine suppliers! That explains the two different feeding ramp shapes. I’m guessing I have one from both.

It looks like you're almost there,

Yes a little more angle,,, you've got to get the nose of the boolit inside the chamfer, and then use some sandpaper on a dowel to smooth out the sharp edges on the Countersunk area so there's no sharp edges to gouge into the boolit. You're looking to generate a little bit of a radius on the funnel you've created.

You are looking for a 100 or 110 degree CSK You have a 90 degree one now. Goto an Industrial tool supplier, (there's one in every town) and look for a "Severance" 6 flute cutter. (See pic) They work the best. Make an extension to hold the Csk and turn it by hand. It will take about 5 min. Then polish with the sand paper on a dowel in your drill motor.

Just keep after it, you're almost there.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

While waiting for my ejector parts and 2 replacement magazines I tried to JB weld the feed ramp shape on the third magazine that I couldn’t get cast to feed with. It now feeds low no matter what I do with the third magazine even with the feed ramp reshaped and raised by my JB weld job. I figured out after the modification on this mag that the spring in this particular magazine is too weak. When loading a third round into it the tail end of the casing drops below at an angle and the bolt misses catching it to cycle into my chamber. I can push the tail end down with a case in the mag and it stays down at an angle. I’ve already messed with this particular magazine and broke off the bottom clip to release the magazine spring and glued the bottom on so I’m done with this magazine. The good part is it will still feed the hornady FTXs with the weak spring for some reason even with the primer end if my dropping low in the magazine. So I’ll keep it for a target/practice spare instead of tossing it. The two magazines I have that work I wrote “cast” on the back of them with my wood burner so I don’t get them mixed up.

The first replacement magazine showed today and of course it feeds to high. This and the other new one that is coming from Ruger I’ll leave alone for Jwords.

Here brand new Ruger factory magazine number one that won’t feed cast...

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-23-2019 at 07:27 PM.

New extractor, spring, and ball installed and the gun still fails to extract 95% of the time. I can move the new extractor in and out like the the old one a good 1/8th inch. I’m sure the hole where the extractor spring sits is too large or hogged out. I’ll call Ruger and sent the gun back Monday for the 5th or 6th time for repair. I think it’s time to upgrade it.

3B Tell them to finish the chamfer on the chamber mouth as well. Also tell them not to send it back until they have addressed all the problems with it and make sure to send them a list of the problems.

Unfortunately not functioning with your Handloads will not be addressed because no gun maker want their guns to be fired with handloads. They can't control the results of your loads.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

I watched a couple of reviews on on YouTube yesterday. The newest one was Hickok, which I enjoy his videos . He was pretty late to the game as this rifle came out over two years ago and his review was in April. Anyways he was running 300 grain pistol type anno through his loaner gun and having the same cycling issues I’m having. He was having to work his bolt back and forth a couple of times with a lot of the FN 300 grain loads to get them into the chamber. Iracvet45 was having similar issues on his review with FTXs. I believe when Ruger designed this gun it was to shoot FTX only which was basically the only loaded commercial loading available at the time.

Boolit Master

Name:	10562C18-F3A1-47CE-90AB-B54076ADE351.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	250324

I cast these this AM from a mold I got earlier this week. Its a LEE 460-350 RDGC.

350g. Might be a dandy in the Bushy!!

CW

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    3B Tell them to finish the chamfer on the chamber mouth as well. Also tell them not to send it back until they have addressed all the problems with it and make sure to send them a list of the problems.

Unfortunately not functioning with your Handloads will not be addressed because no gun maker want their guns to be fired with handloads. They can't control the results of your loads.

Randy

Yeah, I know they have told me in the past that reloaded ammo voids Ruger factory warranty so I’ll research who ever loads factory type pistol projectiles to tell them they aren’t chambering properly. If they actually chamfer it I might be willing to actually shoot it when it comes back(if they don’t let me upgrade for a better option). Otherwise it’s going down the road. Too many problems with it. I have never owned a rifle that has been braking non stop and has had so many issues in my life....and I own a couple 64 gun safes full. Ruger makes some good rifles but imo the 450BM is not one of them. I’m sure if I bought it and shot nothing but a couple boxes of factory loaded jacketed FTX’s through it I would probably think differently. I’m sure it will come back with a new bolt in it this time. Everything has been replaced by Ruger now accept the action, bolt, and the stock...it will be down to the action and stock in a week. I forgot they replaced the barrel and brake when I first bought it for rust/bluing issues right out of the box. I didn’t have my readers on when I picked it up or I would’ve never took delivery of it.

Here is what I’m talking about what happens 99% percent of the time in my gun when trying to cycle cast in my gun. Watch hitcok try to cycle his very first bullet which is a 300 grain Federal in the 450BM Ruger American after about the first minute and a half of his video. The same with me, if I keep working the bolt back and forth a couple of times it will sometimes chamber after chewing up the front of my cast boolit.

Watch the jam with the first round 3:52 minutes into the video...and many after off camera. You can hear him working the action several times to get the rounds to chamber....

https://youtu.be/_pFszXOF308
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-27-2019 at 01:26 PM.

I would say that you would have spent your money better with a proven lever action (like a Marlin or Winny or Henry) in 45-70...or even one in 44 Magnum or 30-30. Or a Ruger Scout rifle in 450BM!

The Scout will probably do the same thing as I doubt they would chamfer the chamber mouth on those guns either.

The Scout is a "Semi-Controlled Round Feed" action. Meaning it will feed rounds off the magazine or laying on top. It is kind of a combo of push and CR systems.

A Mauser must feed from the Magazine and is total Controlled Round Feed(they invented it) Springfield will feed single rounds as it has a Magazine Cutoff. The difference is the extractor on a Mauser will not snap over the rim of a Cartridge, as it is too stiff. A Springfield will.

The whole point of the CR Feed System is so that when you are lying on your back in a Trench and the gun is upside down, it will feed the rounds into the chamber instead of dropping them out the top.

All of these guns were designed to feed .30 caliber bullets into a .473 size hole and that is easier to do than a .450 bullet into a .473 hole. That's probably the reason why the .450 BM factory loads have pointed bullets. This could happen on a Levergun as well. The Factory .450 Marlins had pointed bullets too.

The only real solutions I see for this problem is to put a big radius on the chamber mouth so there's no sharp edge to hang up on, work on all your magazines until they work, and cycle the action slowly. AS far as the other mechanical problems those should get fixed by the factory.

Otherwise, I'd dump it too.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-27-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Boolit Master

Randy,
    The 450 Bushmaster is also not in a “.473” dia case. (The Rim is .473 ) The parent case for the 450 is the 284 Winchester. Its a rebated rim case with a full 50 cal body.

Curious,

T3 has had problems sure some of which where brought upon him self (Sorry man but true). With very heavy loads fully and self admittedly into 460 S&W level data. This case is a rebated rim as I just reminded Randy case thrust is a serious thing and it takes a toll and literally would have torn his gun apart. (Nearly did)

My self and unknown thousands of others have the same rifle with zero issues. My gun shoots MOA easily probably better if I really needed it to.
    Might just be a lemon.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Randy,
    The 450 Bushmaster is also not in a “.473” dia case. (The Rim is .473 ) The parent case for the 450 is the 284 Winchester. Its a rebated rim case with a full 50 cal body.

Curious,

T3 has had problems sure some of which where brought upon him self (Sorry man but true). With very heavy loads fully and self admittedly into 460 S&W level data. This case is a rebated rim as I just reminded Randy case thrust is a serious thing and it takes a toll and literally would have torn his gun apart. (Nearly did)

My self and unknown thousands of others have the same rifle with zero issues. My gun shoots MOA easily probably better if I really needed it to.
    Might just be a lemon.

CW
    Yes I did put it to the limits with Ladder testing it in 3 round increments all the way to 40 grains of H110 with 300 grain cast so I know I rattled the scope base loose along with the trigger housing (apart) so to speak but still have had a lot of other issues I feel was not caused from the 30 rounds I put through it in .5 grain increments with three round test groups from 35.5 to 40 grains of H110. Part my fault and part lemon I’m guessing. The more I have been researching the ruff feeding issue it seems that it’s a norm with these rifles. Ruger uses the same action on their 300 WSM that’s rated for 60,000 psi so I had to give it a try. There were zero signs of casing pressure but the gun itself “rattled apart”. The scope base came loose along and trigger housing. Everything else has been fixed and I’m now down to extractor and feeding issues. I would just like the rifle to be able to cycle as smooth as silk like every other bolt action I own. My Ruger 77/44 cycles buttery smooth with cast and would have expected the RA bushmaster to do the same.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-27-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Gun is on its way back. I asked if I could exchange it for a different model. The gal I talked with said from all the times it has been back she said wasn’t going to be an issue. Her, like I and CW, figured I just got a lemon. She said once the gun arrives they would call me about the current issues and chamfer along with what I would like to exchange it out for. I would like to stick with the 450BM chambering. I see they also offer the go wild (same design, longer barrel), a limited edition Hawkeye that’s offered only through Randy’s gun shop in Michigan, a couple of scout models, and a number one. Well I’m not a single shot guy so the number ones out along and I’m sure there would be a massive up charge on that one. She said if they do even exchanges of other models within reason so I’m sure I’ll have to pay some to boot with a scout or hawkeye(if they have any).

So it’s between the other three. Anyone own a go wild, 450BM scout, or Hawkeye? I would assume the ladder of the two have different magazine systems and wonder if they feed cast more reliable? I’m guessing a controlled feed with the Hawkeye or gunsight would probably feed cast with good size metplates a lot better?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-28-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast