Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I知 all done with my 450BM Ruger American with cast!!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’ll take to a Smith when I get it back to have it done. I don’t trust myself because I don’t have the right tools. My buddy who is a Smith is coming down for muzzleloader season next week so if the guns back maybe I’ll have him do it if he brings tools.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-24-2019 at 11:48 PM.

I talk to my buddy that’s a gunsmith and he said he doesn’t feel comfortable doing it and told me he didn’t think it was a good idea. So I talked to my local gunsmith about it today when dropping off my deer Hyde’s and he shrugged his shoulders. He said he’s never heard of doing that before. He said he do some research and get back to me. Randy, I explained what you were trying to tell me and just chamfer it in a 50 to 60ー angle. I really would like to find somebody to do it instead of myself.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-27-2019 at 10:52 PM.

My rifle came back today with a new stock on it that’s rock solid. They said they re blued it because of one scratch...I don’t know why because they dinged the heck out of it and scratched the new stock. The gun looked like brand new accept for one little scratch before it went in...not now. At least it shoots tight from the test target they sent with the gun. They sent a few extra mags as well. Guess I don’t have to worry about going out and putting the first scratch on it now. do you think I’d learn from the last seven or 8 times of sending in firearms in to be repaired with them that they come back in worse condition than when I sent them in.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-06-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    Never heard of rounding the chamber edge so cases dont hang on the transition between bullet and neck?...What were these guys doing last week...flipping burgers.?........or maybe just on the car service window?

John.K There is a sticky in the Leverguns forum on doing this simple mod. The fact you've heard nothing about it in your life means exactly nothing, especially since You live in AUS and don't get the normal TV programs we Yanks do. Marlin is doing it on their 1894's and I just saw on the American Rifleman Show last night that Winchester is doing it to their rifles in .350 Legend. You can probably see the show on the internet and get brought up to date.

AS far as "Flipping Burgers" I did, and I do,,, and I am quite sure mine are better than yours as I've had about 60 years of practice, and we have better beef!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-07-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

3B: What power magnifying glass do you use in your weapons inspections? Take some paste wax and smear it on that scratch and forget about it. Take a Sharpie and hit that miniscule ding in the scope mount

What I am seeing here is that you are looking for perfection in generic guns, and unless you are willing to up your firearms expenditures to about $3-5000 each, you aren't going to see it. Saying you deserve it in the guns you are buying is not realistic. They don't care and yet they gave you a gun that was worth twice the price for free?!

You are unwilling to do any of the things I've suggested to fix your gun to YOUR satisfaction, and these latest pictures you posted are of things that most of us would never even see. As far as the gun running with your cast boolits, Ruger doesn't care about your cast boolits, and neither does any other gun maker.

I have tried to help you several times on this thread and you always come up with some reason why you can't do what I suggest or someone else has never heard of this fix so you do nothing.

It appears that you don't want help, and are just looking for things to whine about and bash Ruger for.

If you don't like the gun,,, Return it,, and get your money back! It sounds like you've got a serious case of "Buyer's Remorse."

Sorry but I can't participate anymore.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-07-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Well that was my plan to touch it up with oxpho blue, mount an optic on it and start shooting. I’m probably going to have to buy a chamfer tool set Try it myself as I’ve already asked two confident gunsmiths that never heard of chamfering the rear of the barreled action fro feeding and won’t do it. I appreciate your help Randy and believe that it is the answer to get it to feed it’s just I was trying to get somebody to do it for me that already had the tools. I realize a gun is a tool and that iOS not something to look at. I just expected better out of a $1200 suggested retail gun from Ruger. I guess I should’ve got the stainless with the black synthetic stock as they can take a heck of a beating versus this one here. I’m sure if I look at it cross eyed it’s going to get scratched some more so I’m just gonna let it get scratched, beat up, and shoot it. No magnifying glass I guess I just have good eyes and I’m sure most would agree this is not acceptable. I’ve never walked into a retail gun shop and seen a brand new gun on the shelf dinged up and scratched up unless it was used. I’ll just either shoot it, trade it, or move on. I did get it pretty close to free. I did have to pay 115 bucks plus a transfer fee of 40 bucks with reading in my gun I spent $499 for it Cabela’s plus tax on when it first came out. So I’m into this “free” for gun with my out of pocket for over $700 that you can find on the Internet for a little over 900 bucks plus shipping and tax. So I basically have saved $200 off of a realistic retail price. So yeah, I’m a little miffed that they scratched up my gun in several spots. I’m sure I’ll end up just keeping it and shooting it... And chamfering it myself.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-07-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Just a follow up on this thread the gun did go back to Ruger one more time. Ruger did me right and refinished the bluing so it looks like brand new and instead of refinishing the stock they replaced it with another one. There was one little white spot in the stock like the stain didn’t take but it other than that it looks like a museum piece they must’ve used a really high-quality piece of wood this time because it had some really nice looking rings in it. They also retested it for accuracy after putting in a different stock. That last group that I posted with open sights that Ruger factory load tested with FTX ammo was a dime size group. With the new stock they sent me a test target that basically looks like one hole with three shots at 50 yards. So they tightened her up a little. Too cold to take it out and shoot right now since it was 0ー and about a foot of snow on the ground. I’ll wait till spring to play with it along with getting a smaller magnification optic. I think a good 3 x 9 or 2 1/2 x 10 will serve this gun just fine versus the 3.5 x 14 I had on the American for load testing.

I talked with Bluejay and he’s working on a group buy mold with more of a “pointy” type cast boolit. I’ll get on that order and see if I can get something to feed better besides Trying The first box cast that CWlonshot sent me. Second box never made it or it might’ve made it to my mailbox and gotten stolen but either way I never received them. I still have The first round of boolits he sent to see if I can get them to feed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234