RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Figuring Alloys

Figuring Alloys

I've had difficulties trying to estimate alloys.
    I ran across this on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y0raK6_Vbk

What do the knowledgeable people here have to think of this?
    My OS is Linux so the alloy calculators for windows don't work.
    And I'm not interested in WINE or a sandbox to run them.

Thanks for your answers
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master

I have been using the mixing cross for a couple years now. It works.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned
    Did the math, looks like a simple solution

Brinell Hardness of lead mixes are fairly linear.

If you take:

1 Lb BHN 11 and 1 Lb BHN 22 (11+22)/2 = 2 Lbs BHN 16.5

2 Lbs BHN 11, and 1 Lb BHN 22 = (11+11+22)/3 = 3 Lbs BHN 14.7

3 Lbs BHN 5, and 1 Lb BHN 22 = (5+5+5+22)/4 = 4 Lbs BHN 7.4

1 Lb BHN 5, and 1 Lb BHN 11, and 1 Lb BHN 22 = (5+11+22)/3 = 3 Lbs 12.7 BHN

In real life, you'll find the BHN of lead alloys isn't so set though. The BHN of lead alloy containing Tin and Antimony (the most common additions to lead alloys) changes over time. It'll be soft when it first solidifies and fairly set 24 hours later. I can measure BHN's to within about 0.5 BHN reliably, and have watched alloys harden, and then soften over a month to 90 days. For the most part, lead alloys reach most of there hardness after a week, adding just a little bit more after a month.

This was a graph that someone posted on different alloys:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHN over time.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	249668
    Last edited by PBaholic; 10-13-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The question is what are you working with?

Most people baseline is clip on wheel weights so you are at about BHN 10 or 20 with oven hardening/water quenching. The question is then: what do you need? Easiest is to do 50/50 wheel weight/pure lead which will pull those numbers a tad. Or add lino/tin but most of the time you don't need things that hard.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    I've had difficulties trying to estimate alloys.
    I ran across this on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y0raK6_Vbk

What do the knowledgeable people here have to think of this?
    My OS is Linux so the alloy calculators for windows don't work.
    And I'm not interested in WINE or a sandbox to run them.

Thanks for your answers
    It was an interesting formula but I found the guy hard to understand. Between the accent and the echo my old ears had some trouble.

Also tin and antimony combine as greater than the sum of their parts. Which has more impact on how "tough" or fracture resistant a bullet is than it does on BHN. Tin and antimony I guess you could say "mesh" on the molecular or granular level making them a stronger bond.

So Lyman #2 at 5/5/90 and BHN of 15 but may be a more durable and stronger alloy than Hardball 2/6/92 at a BHN of 16 because of the equal amounts of tin and antimony in greater percentage that are bonding in the Lyman #2 alloy.

THE ALLOY CALCULATORS WORK WITH THE FREE OPEN OFFICE CALC APPLICATION! Available for Windows, Linux or Mac I use Open Office and Bumpo's Excel alloy calculator on Windows and have found the Linux version of Open Office to work for most Windows documents.

http://www.openoffice.org/ There is windows or nix versions available. Solid free software. Some governments have switched to Open Office because it saves them so much money compared to buying MS Office.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Also tin and antimony combine as greater than the sum of their parts. Which has more impact on how "tough" or fracture resistant a bullet is than it does on BHN. Tin and antimony I guess you could say "mesh" on the molecular or granular level making them a stronger bond.

So Lyman #2 at 5/5/90 and BHN of 15 but may be a more durable and stronger alloy than Hardball 2/6/92 at a BHN of 16 because of the equal amounts of tin and antimony in greater percentage that are bonding in the Lyman #2 alloy.

THE ALLOY CALCULATORS WORK WITH THE FREE OPEN OFFICE CALC APPLICATION! Available for Windows, Linux or Mac I use Open Office and Bumpo's Excel alloy calculator on Windows and have found the Linux version of Open Office to work for most Windows documents.

http://www.openoffice.org/ There is windows or nix versions available. Solid free software. Some governments have switched to Open Office because it saves them so much money compared to buying MS Office.
    I have been studying metalurgy for the past 6 months. Was contemplation starting a thread on that. You see very little information on lead alloys and what elements do what.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~