RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoke's Clear PC: My Technique Wrong???

If you're having to tap your bullets on the side of the container to remove excess powder you're using too much powder, Smokes clear as well as his Translucent Copper are pretty much identical in the way they coat. I only use a couple TSP of powder in a quart size #5 container to coat 100 bullets, I can usually do about the same amount again without having to add any more of just another 1/2 TSP of powder then just pluck them out one at a time with my tweezers and stand on non-stick foil or parchment paper and bake at 400 degree preheated and verified for 20 min. Buildup on the bases is something I just don't have an issue with.

Bullets coated with Smokes clear and ready to be put on the tray.

Bullets coated with Smokes Translucent Copper, ready to size.
    Last edited by res45; 10-19-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    25 mins seems like a long time to cook
    I always go 14 never fails on any powder
    Check with the manufacturer's specifications to get a full cure.

I'm not an industrial chemist and want to do reloading (boolit coating ) right so 10 min is a small price to pay to assure I'm getting a complete cure

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Check with the manufacturer's specifications to get a full cure.

I'm not an industrial chemist and want to do reloading (boolit coating ) right so 10 min is a small price to pay to assure I'm getting a complete cure
    Eastwood powders that I use say to heat / bake for 20 min. at 400 degrees after flow out / gloss over begins which is basically 25 min. from the time I put my bullets into the oven. I use the same time / temp with Smokes powders and have never had a problem with my bullets air cooled or water quenched right out of the toaster oven.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the looks of that translucent copper, may have to try some.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    I'm finding that I have to double coat with this powder to get the nice dark copper color, just wondering if others are having to do so too or I may need to change my technique. I'm using the shake-n-bake method with bb's. Most of the other colors I have from Smoke cover great with just one coat. I highly recommend his powders.

Vendor Sponsor

The Translucent copper is a thinner coat so you get the translucent effect. Its not meant to be a solid single coat.
    It will shoot and perform just fine as a thin coat without leading
    Many many people here can confirm this
    Now if you want some really cool effects do the TL copper over another color
    You can get some cool and some ugly effects depending on base color
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 10-20-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I like the looks of that translucent copper, may have to try some.
    As Smokes said it's not going to give you a solid copper look, although it's translucent it still looks great once cured to a point I don't think it makes much of a difference just using one coat. The photo I posted was one coat shake an bake and a little goes a long way so don't go overkill on the amount of powder or you will end up having to shake or tap the excess off before baking, it sticks to copper gas check as well if you like to apply gas check, coat them do the final sizing.

Banned
    the copper PC I've found are meant to be used over a base coat

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-co...ny-powder.html

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    It may be just me but I find that "Smoke's Clear" is the easiest powder to use and the best to shoot.
    I only use 1/2 teaspoon in a quart container per 50 bullets (30 to 357 cal rifle) but the next 50 you do keep in mind you still will have loose powder in your container so you may only need 1/4 teaspoon that time! I usually get rid of the excess powder in the container every 150 bullets and start fresh.

If you really think the coating is too heavy after tapping the bullet ....drop it base first on a few full sheets of newspaper from 6" high...then place them on your tray
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Bub
    I use a lot of Smokes clear and other powders and never had an issue. I basically pour bullets in my vibratory tumbler with a teaspoon or two of the powder and let the tumbler do its magic for a minute or two. Pour everything out in a metal mesh box over a sheet of aluminum foil. Shake back and forth a few times and the excess powder will fall onto the foil. Then I put my bullets in the over at a little over 400 degrees for 20 min. Is it possible the bullets are are hot and that is why they are clumping?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by res45 View Post
    If you're having to tap your bullets on the side of the container to remove excess powder you're using too much powder, Smokes clear as well as his Translucent Copper are pretty much identical in the way they coat. I only use a couple TSP of powder in a quart size #5 container to coat 100 bullets, I can usually do about the same amount again without having to add any more of just another 1/2 TSP of powder then just pluck them out one at a time with my tweezers and stand on non-stick foil or parchment paper and bake at 400 degree preheated and verified for 20 min. Buildup on the bases is something I just don't have an issue with.

Bullets coated with Smokes clear and ready to be put on the tray.

Bullets coated with Smokes Translucent Copper, ready to size.
    Welp... I'm sold on the translucent copper

I find it's easiest to use one of the expanded metal desk organizers you can find at any office supply store. I dump the bullets, bb's, powder and all into the desk organizer on a piece of cardboard and shake it around. The BB's and the metal knock off the excess PC, and all is well. I find after sizing I do get the mild bit of excess at the base of my boolits, but it has not effected accuracy yet. I do find that the PC adds about .003 to all of my boolits, which are already over sized. Lay them out on foil after coating, give a quick shot with Hornady One STUCK (shot), and they run thru the Lee and NOE Sizer effortlessly. One shot seems to keep any powder fowling to a minimum too.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I size before and after PC This get me dead on to the size I need without lube!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    These are 10mm that I coated yesterday with Smoke's clear. Ran them in the tumbler with BBs and left them pretty much as they came out unless they looked like a dandelion. Cured 20 minutes at 400° stood up on a silicone sheet and they evened out great. No flange at the bottom but I have not sized them yet.

The rocket blower is a neat little device. I have replaced canned air for cleaning loading presses and especially powder measure hoppers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10mm PC 102919(1) copy.jpg   10mm PC 102919(2) copy.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12