MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot- 2006

On Heaven's Range

Thumbs up Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot- 2006

Funny to actually see "2006" in print. It seems the turn of the millennium was just a month or two back.

However, it's time to start thinking about the 2006 Shoot.....the SEVENTH time around for this event. Deputy Al, Curmudgeon, and myself had some conversation about it during our trip to Alberta, and from our experience with the weather at the 2005 Shoot, perhaps we may want to push the date back a little later in May to get a better chance at good weather.

The Shoot will be held in Winnemucca NV, spanning a three-day weekend with the Friday devoted to minor preparation and socializing, and Saturday-Sunday for shooting. Please note that ANYONE who uses cast bullets is welcome. If you buy your boolits, come anyway. Even if you can't bring guns along, come anyway....there'll be untold numbers of guns to shoot and oodles of ammo for your enjoyment.

Again, repeating what we say each time the event comes around, this is a FUN shoot. Although there is some moderately-serious competition, that is the least of the attractions, the main one being the social, conversational and "look at this!" aspects.

The "Rools" are few, and simple:

1. Act safely

2. Have fun

3. No whining!

I work shifts, and two weekends out of four on my 4-week schedule will find me at work here at the mine. To hold the Shoot on one of my work-scheduled weekends means burning a good part of my annual vacation time, so if we move the Shoot later in May, it will likely be fully two weeks "deeper" into the month. At that point, I'd have to take one day's vacation, but that's no great hardship. My schedule for 2006 isn't out yet, but I don't expect a change in the rotation so I'll just have to sit down with a calendar and figure it out...and I don't yet have one for 2006.

As soon as I get it lined out, I'll post the two possible weekends which best agree with the shift schedule., and then we can talk about it.

It sure would be nice to see some new faces at the Shoot, along with the previous attendees. Assuming (yeah, I know) that we all love to cast, handload and shoot, this is one of the premier Good Times of the year!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Ncbs 2006

BruceB: unless the health gods rule otherwise, Joy and I will be there for lunch Friday the whatevereth... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    I'm going to do everything I can to be able to show up to this event. Sounds like great fun. We got a few big gun shows around here so I can stock up on supplies. I suppose I will just haul up a 24 footer to camp in? Probably the best option I suppose.
    http://GunLoads.com

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!

im stationed in las vegas and i would love to try to make it out there, i have to figure out where that is first lol

On Heaven's Range

jballs918;

Look straight north to Interstate-80, and Winnemucca stands at the junction of I-80 and Highway 95 (to Boise).

Drive up either through Tonopah or Austin to I-80, perhaps making a real tour of it by coming north on one route and going back home on the other. Also, you could travel via Ely-Wells-Elko-Winnemucca if you don't mind the extra mileage.

We hope you can make it.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Warning: The NCBS is addicting, it is amazing how many people who have never been to one, and finally make the trip, become frequent fliers. It is very gratifying to see some new blood expressing interest. Looking forward to seeing you there!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master
    NCBS is a definite "DO NOT MISS" for me. Seven straight days of rain in 2004 (including the Rat Zap in Modoc) didn't dampen my enthusiasm a bit.

And, NO Buckshot--no VW Cabrio this year, either. Leave the chartreuse ascot at home, PLEASE.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Bruce, Moving the NCBS to a later date in May may have more than one benefit. The weather might be better, but there are also the points to be earned by moving the NCBS away from Mother's Day.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

You do realize this will make us endure a longer wait,,already seems like it's two years inbetween shoots for me. I may just show up "on-time" anyway just because. My internal clock is centered on NCBS now,are we like the Roman's,adjusting the schedules and the months and days of the year ? <grin>
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

well things have gone south in the last 2 days i looks like i may me in iraq during this tmie frame more to come on that one

Vendor Sponsor
    D Al,

Made my mind up to make it to Cedarville come hell or high water this year. But will there still be good shooting late in May? No doubt they will still be there, but if the fields grow too fast we won't be able to see them. Guess we'll just shoot the tall ones. Or maybe coyotes in the Sheldon.

BruceB,
    One thing to remember. If you really want to guarantee good weather in NV you have to move it out to end of June. It is all a matter of bad luck. Most often it is sunny here, but from Sept to July you can have some weather. Last year I woke up to snow on the ground first week of June in Battle Mountain. Seen snow on the ground for the Air Races in Reno 3rd weekend in Sept. I will go with the crowd, but 2 weeks doesn't guarantee much. Rain or shine I haven't had a bad time yet.

ammohead

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead
    Rain or shine I haven't had a bad time yet.

ammohead
    Thats the real jewel,,being there.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    I've got a few boys to bring up.. Is it alright if I don't shoot cast? Please don't smite me.
    http://GunLoads.com

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!

ok update im not going to iraq, you got to love the good old military. anyway if im still in the country i will try to make it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cartuche Cabeza--

PM sent, senor.

GM--

I have fired some of the red-coated pretenders to accuracy my own self from an assortment of peestols, revolters, and rifles at the NCBS meetings. Consider it a sort of "alibi" firing sequence. You will, however, be required to fire castings from an eclectic assortment of fusils and handgonnes at some point(s) during the event. We would allow you to use them jacketed things for competition shooting, but you would be placed at a considerable disadvantage to do so--way too big a handicap, methinks--and unfair to a first-time attendee.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

I sure would like to come out.

As the crow flies due east it's not all that far from me, but it doesn't look like much of a way to get through that Black Rock High Desert Canyon area.

Gotta look at a better map.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin
    I sure would like to come out.

As the crow flies due east it's not all that far from me, but it doesn't look like much of a way to get through that Black Rock High Desert Canyon area.

Gotta look at a better map.
    Due west of the Black Rock? Where you at? Our very own former Senator Richard Bryan (no doubt encouraged by Harry Reid) sewed up the High Canyon area and made it a wilderness area some years back. No vehicle travel period. Some really beautiful country too. Making wilderness areas sounds good, but really, was there any danger of someone building condos in that country. We have a ton of empty in NV. One of the nicest things about the state. But if you ban vehicle travel you are limited to horses or foot travel, and most of this type of country is too damn big for either.

ammohead

Banned

Ammohead,

I'm in N. California- just above the 40th parallel. I would come out east from Susanville.

What would be the fastest way to get there. I wouldn't have to go all the way down to Reno would I?

Boolit Buddy
    It would probably be the fastest to go to Reno. Once you get past Fernly on I80 to speed limit is up to 75. Not the shortest but faster. You would have to deal with a lot of two lane and possibly dirt roads otherwise.

Brian

BruceB,
    Either weekend works, but I'd loose fewer points with the misses if the NCBS didn't conflict with Mother's Day....

MarlinLover,
    Agree 395 to Reno then 80 would be simplist and quickest.

Depending on weather, your feelings about driving dirt roads, reliability of vehicle (pickup or 4wd, not the sedan), good set of tires (w/ good spare or two), time availability, good map in hand, and need to see different road(s), there's a couple of other options... Cell phone would be good to have...

If adventurous, you might consider Cedarville, S. (to Eagleville) on to Gerlach, then east 100 miles on dirt on the south end of the Black Rock to Winnemucca...

If more adventurous, 395 S to Doyle, ??? Crossing to Flannigan (N of Pyramid Lake), then north and east along the Smoke Creek desert to Gerlach, then east 100 miles to Winnemucca (same as above). All in, probably 180miles worth of gravel roads...

If I have the time, I'd rather drive the dirt... and ruin a tire once in a while....

For some, overdose of lead may be the least of worries...

Looking forward to the NCBS in May!

Regards, Tom

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast