RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Tang sight for a Husqvarna M33

Tang sight for a Husqvarna M33

I have an M33 roller in 9.3x57r ( a shooter not a collector by any means) and i have put together components to shoot it. I use a 38-55 basic cartridge and a 193 grain Bullet from and Accurate mold. shoots pretty well but the sights are horrible. I would like to mount a tang sight on it but have no clue what model to buy. I know i am going to have to drill and tap the tang as there are no holes present. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i should proceed. Google search had a few topics wher people said it was done but no particulars. Let me know what you think.
    Michael
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1867 Husqvarna Roller. good bore and good shooter, but the sights were awful. Since it is a shooter, I put a ramped sweat on front sight with a square blade front, and a modified Mauser peep sight, that I milled the base flat on and drilled and tapped the right side of action. It turned out to give me excellent accuracy, looks good on the rifle and I only had $20 in it from a gunshow junk box. To your original question, you need to get the sight first, use it to mark your tang for the holes to be drilled. On most rollers, you will need a tall Vernier. I took a cheap navy arms long range sight, machined the base to fit a dovetail I had made and sweated it on it. I then made a receiver block for the dovetailed sight. The when assembled, and clamped down, I drilled a hole thru the whole dovetail and receiver block, and threaded it for a thumb screw. That way I could take it off in a second, and use the barrel sights. I did this on a Old Navy arms roller that had seen rough times but was still a good shooter. I also put a shortened braided wire strand on the base of the sight, and thru a hole I drilled in the thumb screw. This way when I took it off, I would not loose the thumb screw, and the braided wire was out of the way when shooting.

I think i get it but a picture would make it easier to get my head around this instalation.

Type 33 Huskys aren't like most Rollers. They are smaller frames and don't require taller tang sights to make them work. They also are extremely valuable, and since the front sights are dovetailed in the octagon barrel, they don't need anything soldered, or modified to get a good front sight. Just buy a globe sight and file the dovetail to fit the 33 barrel. Because of their value I wouldn't drill holes in the receiver either.
    I have a type 33A Husky also, and both front and rear sights are very rudimentary, and not suitable for accurate shooting. I had a spare 1893 Marlin tang sight with the standard 1.125" spacing, and the tang angle was perfect. So I D&T the tang and mounted that sight. A Stevens 44 or 44.5 with 1.5" spacing would also work and have the same angle.
    Up front I changed to a Lyman globe front sight to get something that I could have interchangeable apertures in.
    My Husky 33A was lacking sights to become a great shooter, but now it's a tack driver!

Marlinman
    I was thinking along those lines but i have a question about which sight you are using. The 1893 sight from Marbles has the .460 spacing and 1.92-2.255 height. the 1892 has the 1.125 spacing and 1.68-2.015 height. i need to be sure because i would need to order one.
    Thanks
    Michael

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Marbles on my roller. Works just fine out to 300 yards. The Remington rolling block one is the one to get.

Quote Originally Posted by mdevlin53 View Post
    Marlinman
    I was thinking along those lines but i have a question about which sight you are using. The 1893 sight from Marbles has the .460 spacing and 1.92-2.255 height. the 1892 has the 1.125 spacing and 1.68-2.015 height. i need to be sure because i would need to order one.
    Thanks
    Michael
    I'm not using the new Marbles tang sights. Mine is a period original Marbles for an 1893 that has the true 1.125" spacing. No Marlin repeater ever used anything but a 1.125" spacing, so not sure why Marbles would make a sight for the 1893 and not use the correct spacing?
    Mine is actually the 1893 Special Flexible Base sight, which puts the staff at the rear of the base, and elevated higher than the standard Marbles tang sights of that period. They are an extremely rare base style, but I had several so put one on the Husky.
    I'll have to see if I can take a picture and post it.